The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lesson Cancellation Policies

Just wondering what kind of lesson cancellation policies most lesson facilities use? I have heard mostly 24hr notice, but what if a kid comes home from school sick? or a car breaks down?

Also, what's the make-up policy as well?

Most of the places I have worked had a 24-hour cancellation policy, most with some exceptions for genuine emergencies (illness, injury, accidents, etc.). I'll outline the policy that I like (and that I employ for my own freelance teaching).

• Most lessons must be paid in advance, usually by the month.
    • 24-hour notice is required for cancellations, except in the case of emergencies. (Because some people are confused about the meaning of the term "emergency," I provide a list of things that constitute a legitimate emergency in coloredhorse-land: sudden illness (simple colds don't count unless there is an underlying, more serious condition), injury, death (yourself or immediate family), car accident or boss demanding you work late.
    • Makeups must be scheduled within the same month, unless the "legal" miss was in the last week of the month. In the latter case, the student has 30 days from the missed lesson to schedule a makeup.
    • There are no makeups for missed lessons where proper notice was not given and where no emergency existed.
    • There are no makeups if the lesson has not been paid in advance.
    • I will not chase down the student to schedule a makeup; it is the student's (or parents', in the case of kids) responsibility to schedule the makeup within the time allowed.
    • I really like the policy of having 1 or 2 scheduled mixed "makeup" lessons each month, where horses/ponies and an instructor are available and students needing makeups can sign up on a first-come-first-served basis. Only one of the farms that employed me had this policy, but it was by far, the best run and most successful, both financially and in terms of students progressing smoothly in competence.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

If it was a private lesson the trainer should still be paid since they could have been training someone else.
    If it was a group lesson. Then they should be more leinient since they were going to be there anyhow. As in if there was only one other student the trainer should make at least her private lesson rate.
    If you have friends at the stable and an emergency comes up you might consider offering them your place in the lesson instead. They may comp you they may not but at least the lesson will be used and not wasted.
    Last edited by 5; Nov. 15, 2011 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    If it was a group lesson. Then they should be more leinient since they were going to be there anyhow. As in if there was only one other student the trainer should make at least her private lesson rate.
    Ah, but sometimes those group lessons turn into 1 or 2 people and if the trainer had known people weren't coming they could of moved them into the other group (which also had people not coming!).

It happens and it's rude not to call.
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post

It is still a loss of income for the instructor, as the person who cancelled was taking up a slot in the group lesson. That slot could have been filled with someone else if there was more notice.

The policy where I ride is 24 hours notice, If you give less notice than that, you can then either reschedule within the week or pay for the missed lesson. Sickness that keeps you home from work or school and other true emergency situations are different. If I know I'm going to be out of town and cancel a lesson, then I always tell my instructor at least one week before so she has the chance to fill my slot with someone else.

Short and not so sweet, if you can't make the lesson you eat the cost if the trainer can't make it they should refund the cost.
    Lessons are a luxuryfor the student but a couple of cancellations could put top ramen on the trainers plate.

My cancellation policy is pretty easy.

1 hour notice if you are sick - If not given, student pays lesson fee plus a $15.00 fee
    24 hour notice if you are going out of town - If not given, student pays lesson fee.
    If student "forgets" and yes I have had that happen - student pays lesson fee plus $15.00 fee.

If fees are not paid by next scheduled lesson, there is no lesson.
    Boomer's Hopes & Dreams
    On Facebook
    Tia - The Rescue
    RIP Boomer - May 21, 1989 - November 3, 2010

I am very easy going.
    - text or call me if you can't make it. If you are a PITA and cancel often or no-show often, you will be bumped from the schedule and given last choice of times.

Some students opt to pay for a lesson if they last minute cancel for no good reason. These people stay on my "nice" list.

I have a few clients that have jobs that can be unpredictable and a stricter policy would be unfair to them; for example one is a vet and she can't always predict if an emergency comes in last minute. I also don't want people coming if they are sick, rushing or worried about the roads.

It helps that I live on site though; so easy for me to go back to the house, or work a horse, if I have an unexpected break.