The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Default Best American Thoroughbred Stallion for Holsteiner mare

Looking to breed my Holsteiner mare (by a stallion with cassini 1/capitol 1 on top and cordelabryere and landgraf on bottom) to an American Thoroughbred. We are a show jumping farm so that is our end goal. Any suggestions?

A Fine Romance
    Sea Accounts
    Coconut Grove
    Triple Twist - frozen only
    Salute the Truth

Depends on what you want to improve on your mare as to which stallion you would choose.
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

Coconut Grove is the only TB currently in the Holsteiner book if you want Holsteiner papers.

I had planned on presenting Sea Accounts, but my understanding is that all the stallions have to be jumped under saddle around a 4' course now, and while he's a great jumper, that hasn't been our focus the last 3 years.

There is freejumping video of him from the ATA inspection last Friday on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3gozrDCe68
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

If you don't need to register Holsteiner, I agree w/the suggestions so far and would add Innkeeper.

I think that AFR stands in Canada, but don't know whether that would matter to you.

Might want to look at Luftikus + other TB stallions with Alydar in back.

I have a 4 yr old Coconut Grove mare that has a German stamm Holsteiner dam. She has a lot of scope and great rideability.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Quote Originally Posted by cyriz's mom View Post
    Coconut Grove is the only TB currently in the Holsteiner book if you want Holsteiner papers.

I had planned on presenting Sea Accounts, but my understanding is that all the stallions have to be jumped under saddle around a 4' course now, and while he's a great jumper, that hasn't been our focus the last 3 years.

There is freejumping video of him from the ATA inspection last Friday on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3gozrDCe68
    When did this rule come to play as I've not heard that before?

funnygirl is offline Training Level
    Original Poster

I don't need to register Holsteiner - just want the best TB for show jumping lines. lots of eventer TBs out there it seems.

I'd do a search on these boards. A Fine Romance has been clearly established as a top choice TB sire in several different disciplines. He currently has a son competing at the GP level, I believe. Everyone says that his owner is absolutely wonderful to work with. On top of everything else, AFR is an absolutely beautiful horse.

Can't remember exactly, but there was a recent thread by a poster in either England or Ireland that breeds Holsteiners. He mentions A Fine Romance as a top selection as a sporthorse sire.

ponygirl - that was my understanding as of about a year ago. Not sure who to contact to verify????
    Home of Sea Accounts xx

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    I'd do a search on these boards. A Fine Romance has been clearly established as a top choice TB sire in several different disciplines. He currently has a son competing at the GP level, I believe. Everyone says that his owner is absolutely wonderful to work with. On top of everything else, AFR is an absolutely beautiful horse.

Can't remember exactly, but there was a recent thread by a poster in either England or Ireland that breeds Holsteiners. He mentions A Fine Romance as a top selection as a sporthorse sire.
    I agree
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=326192

Here's the thread though I don't necessarily agree with his choices
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I know he is not in America and I don't know if his semen is being shipped abroad but I do like this guy: http://kylemorestud.com/index.php?ma...nid=56&page=56 The Dutch were stupid enough to let him go but thoroughbreds are not popular in Holland. http://cms.kwpn.nl/mediafile/0002/96...s_volbloed.pdf
    http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...=365244&page=2
    But I think Roven is more liked for his jumping ability.
    Last edited by Elles; Nov. 14, 2011 at 03:25 PM.

I'm AFR fan.

Coconut Grove is nice too but I think he's small and he refines the mare...I believe. don't quote me.

So if your mare is really big then he would be a great choice.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I'd email Anke Magnussen directly. If you go to the AHHA website, click on Board of Directors and her contact info is there. Congrats on the ATA approval.

will do and thanks. He was super!
    Home of Sea Accounts xx

I am curious why you want a full TB stallion on top of a well bred Holsteiner to produce a Jumper? If your mare is especially big and needs refining I would probably select a stallion who is a bit more modern, with a lot of blood, but not necessarily a full TB. I think, personally, that often the TB is better one generation further back, like an F2 cross. At least for jumpers, but that is my own humble opinion. My might ask some of the Holsteiner gurus on here for more ideas. I do think you have gotten some good suggestions so far, if your heart is set on a TB.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Quote Originally Posted by buschkn View Post
    I am curious why you want a full TB stallion on top of a well bred Holsteiner to produce a Jumper? If your mare is especially big and needs refining I would probably select a stallion who is a bit more modern, with a lot of blood, but not necessarily a full TB. I think, personally, that often the TB is better one generation further back, like an F2 cross. At least for jumpers, but that is my own humble opinion. My might ask some of the Holsteiner gurus on here for more ideas. I do think you have gotten some good suggestions so far, if your heart is set on a TB.
    I have to agree here. Coconut Grove is the only one approved, and he can make very big. There are much better options for refinement then going to a TB. Furthermore if you are breeding for upper level jumpers, breeding to a TB is going the wrong way.

What is the reason for wanting to breed to a TB in the first place?

Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl View Post
    I don't need to register Holsteiner - just want the best TB for show jumping lines. lots of eventer TBs out there it seems.
    You could always try Gemini, the Gem Twist clone.

I've got to chime in here as I did what some obviously wouldn't do. I did it deliberately. I put a BIG, well-bred Holsteiner mare to a Thoroughbred to produce an upper level jumper. The result is an improvement on the dam. She's a better mover, typier, better conformed, prettier with a fabulous brain and work ethic. With respect to size, she is smaller in height and mass than her mother, which is consistent with the numerous Coconut Grove offspring I’ve seen. I'm sure there are exception, but it is worth pointing out that size conclusions with the Coco’s should not be quickly reached based on their initial foal growth. The ones I’ve known have put on a lot of height in the first year and then slowed down considerably.

My mare is currently with my trainer who was an International Grand Prix rider and Nations Cup team member for many years. He has ridden some of the greats including Ramiro as he rode for Fritz Ligges during his career. He has compared her to one of his best Grand Prix horses. There has been no loss of scope with this cross, rather, I now have scope in an extremely athletic and adjustable package that most definitely will be extremely competitive on today’s more technically demanding courses.

Since I touched on scope, the mares by Coconut Grove that have done the jump chute during AHHA inspections have gotten stellar scores of 8s and 9s. I know Bent Hickory (wish he'd chime in) has a mare by him that was accepted in the Hanoverian JBP with extremely high conformation, movement and jumper scores. She too is an improvement on the dam including scope. In the less than 10 years that Coco has been available, he has been the choice for top breeders, top GP mares and top GP riders. His offspring have been exported to other countries and I know of one semen broker in Scotland that likes them so much he's breeding his own mares to him for upper level jumpers.

I think there have been some good TBs named here as that was the request of the OP. I don't think that putting a TB like Coconut Grove to a mare such as the OPs is the kiss of death for an upper level jumper. It's not unheard of. Coco was never bred till late in life and he's an grand old man now. Time will tell.