The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Freezing canned food?

I have a small foster dog on serious weight control so a 12 ounce can lasts several days, unless I give it to the rest of the animals. I'd like to vary her food a bit more but that leaves cans sitting in the fridge for a long time.

Can I open a few cans, portion out her meals and freeze some of it for the next week?

I get the regular size can of dog food. My dog only gets about 2 tablespoons of food with her morning meal mainly to hold her supplement. The can last 4 days or so. When it is finnished she gets a different type for the next can. I have never frozen dog food, but can't imagine it would hurt it. Maybe you could measure the portion into an ice cube tray with saran wrap in it, then pop out when frozen and put in zip lock baggy?

Really, I think the only concern would be degradation of nutrients. As long as ALL of his food isn't frozen, I imagine you'd be just fine.

I know you've most likely already considered this, but what about buying the smaller cans of dog food? While they're normally more expensive than the larger cans, both supermarkets & big-box pet stores frequently hold sales (at least they do around here) that make them very reasonable. Same goes for cat food - I recently got 40 (yes, 40) cans of my kitties' favorite brand for $14 @ PetSmart.

I do use some small cans but can only find them in one of the foods I want to give her. And, while I'm committed to feeding her well, price is a consideration. It was something like $10 more for a case.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Really, I think the only concern would be degradation of nutrients. As long as ALL of his food isn't frozen, I imagine you'd be just fine.
    Degradation concerned me, too, but freezing is supposed to slow the process. I wonder if it's better to go straight from the can to the freezer or sit in the fridge for several days? I'd always heard to toss after 48 hours. That's been the point I've been giving it to the other animals and they don't need it.

She was supposed to start physical therapy this week but we learned it will be another 6 weeks in the crate so I'm looking for creative ways to mix up her tiny little diet. While I was portioning out the raw food, I had a light bulb moment.

fwiw I feed frozen kongs as a part of my dogs regular diet. In other words I feed her a room temperature small meal of kibble and canned food, then give her a frozen kong before I leave the house. Or if I'm going to be out for 3 hours during her evening meal I'll give her a meals worth of frozen kongs to work on while I am away. I've calculated her food amt so that I'm not over feeding her. To make the kongs I put some canned food in a bowl, add a little water, mush it up, add dry kibble and let it sit for 15 min to soak up the "juice" then stuff that into various kngs and freeze.

only downside is that she eats them on her dog bed and leaves a wet spot on the bed..... So I keep her in a dog room and don't allow her acces to the entire house when she has a kong. Or else I'd get kong wet spots on my sofa and bed.

Re: the frozen Kongs or Kongs filled with soft food like peanut butter - how do you clean them? I've always wanted to try this with my dog(s), but was afraid that unreachable soft food left inside would eventually mold if not cleaned thoroughly enough. How do you deal with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Re: the frozen Kongs or Kongs filled with soft food like peanut butter - how do you clean them? I've always wanted to try this with my dog(s), but was afraid that unreachable soft food left inside would eventually mold if not cleaned thoroughly enough. How do you deal with that?
    Run them through the dishwasher! They'll survive just fine. Barring that, a good soak in a sink full of hot soapy water and a scrub should take care of things (use a bottle brush: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips.../dp/B00004OCLJ to get the inside well scrubbed).

Thanks! For some bizarre reason, I never thought of a bottle brush. I have several since I own a Citron-Crested Cockatoo who LOVES to shove food up the tube of her water bottle - lol!

I clean the kongs by using my fingers to pry off the food bits stuck inside. Wash with hot soapy water. My dog has had giardia in the past, so I'm too germaphobic to put her dirty kongs in the dishwasher.

I have never loaded up a kong with PB. Too much PB I think. I used to soak her kibble in low sodium chicken soup stock, add a TB of canned sweet potato. Smear a ts of PB in the kong, dump the contents of the soaked food and then cap the whole thing off with another dab of PB.