The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default If a mare can be a diva....

what is the equivalent for a gelding?

Last year, I bought Finn a used, very nice but used, blanket. By the end of the winter, it went in the trash.

At our barn, blankets are hung on the back wall of the stall when not in use. Every single day he didn't have to wear it (Florida - what can I say) - it ended up in a heap in the middle of his stall.

This year I bought him a brand new blanket. He has worn it exactly twice. Last night, he pulled it in, threw it in the middle of his stall and, I swear, laid down and slept on it.

He gets lots of shavings in his stall, he has a jolly ball to play with. But no, he has to lay on his blankie.

Needless to say, I can't put a posturepedic mattress in the tender flower's stall!

Said blanket is now hidden in the tack room since they won't be needing them this coming week.

So what do you call a gelding who seems to think he is entitled to the "finer" things in life?
    And nothing bad happened!

We just call ours male diva's a prince. I have a cat who will stand at the gate between the barn and the back yard and howl until you pick him up and carry him into the house.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

get him a cow water bed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I am sorry, but I have a problem with this, not so much that he pulls his blanket down into the stall with him, but how many times did the groom/barn staff pick that blanket it up before they decided it was a BAD idea to KEEP putting the blanket on the back wall. You dont have to have a blanket rack to keep the blanket out of the way, just grab some baling twine, and tie each end to the bars of the stall wall and fold the blanket over the twine. like you do at a show with temp stalls.

what is the definition of insanity? doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome

A "Divo", of course!
    Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

I woudn't call him anything but a PITA personally. My QH is like that. He's into everything and anything he can reach from his stall, hence any object he CAN reach is OUT of reach.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls