The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pentosan....

Hi All,
    I'm looking for a 'relatively' inexpensive source to purchase Pentosan. Typically I get it from Horseprerace.com at 46.00 for a 6ml vial. Add shipping to that and OUCH- there HAS to be a cheaper place to get it.
    Anyone???

Thanks!!!

You could ask your vet to get you a prescription, so you can get it from Wedgewood. IIRC $175 for a 50ml vial.

Yep, We get it from the vet who orders it from Wedgewood and marks it up slightly. That's probably the cheapest way to get it.
    http://www.hunterjumperconnection.com/hjc-blog.html

A blog featuring the musings of a semi-neurotic adult amateur rider on riding, training, showing, life.

Did Wedgewood's price go up? It was $115 for a 50 ml vial of the 250 mg/ml.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

120 shipped from wedgewood.

I'm confused, because I just went to http://www.horseprerace.com and put 7 vials in my cart.

The price per vial is $35.95 (that is for 1-14 vials) and the shipping by FedEx would be $12.18 to Colorado.

I am not going to buy it right now because I just finished a course of Adequan. But this sounds reasonable to me.

Are you not in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by airineek View Post
    Yep, We get it from the vet who orders it from Wedgewood and marks it up slightly. That's probably the cheapest way to get it.
    FWIW, If you are getting it directly from the vet off his truck and he is doing that I would be careful. That's a major NO/NO. It is illegal for a vet stock compounded drugs then resale. Not to mention it is illegal for a vet to write a script to get Pentosan compounded but that is another story!

Just ordered two 50 ml bottles from Wedgewood and had them shipped overnight ($30). The pentosan itself is $109/bottle. Regular shipping is $10. Wedgewood Customer Service=priceless! LOVE THEM!!!

Smile Herbie....

That sounds like the best deal. I'll be getting with my vet tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    FWIW, If you are getting it directly from the vet off his truck and he is doing that I would be careful. That's a major NO/NO. It is illegal for a vet stock compounded drugs then resale. Not to mention it is illegal for a vet to write a script to get Pentosan compounded but that is another story!
    So if your vet doesn't sell it to you nor do they write a script for it then where do you gets yours? Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie19 View Post
    So if your vet doesn't sell it to you nor do they write a script for it then where do you gets yours? Just curious...
    I have a friend.....
    Just saying, if your vet is trying to make a profit on something that is illegal, make sure you trust them with other things they do.

Pentosan is great stuff! Just too bad the laws are they way they are.

I have a friend.....
    Just saying, if your vet is trying to make a profit on something that is illegal, make sure you trust them with other things they do.

Pentosan is great stuff! Just too bad the laws are they way they are.
    Is your friend a vet? Do they sell it to you at cost? Where do they get it? I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to figure out how you get it "legally". And I can assure you, my vets can be trusted. I'm guessing we shouldn't be using Tildren either?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie19 View Post
    Is your friend a vet? Do they sell it to you at cost? Where do they get it? I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to figure out how you get it "legally". And I can assure you, my vets can be trusted. I'm guessing we shouldn't be using Tildren either?
    Last I knew if you had a special permit you can use Tildren. Other then that, no way.

You can get Pentosan at Wedgewood for the best price.

Red face Wait a minute, I'm lost and/or confused

what is "illegal" about Pentosan?

Last I knew if you had a special permit you can use Tildren. Other then that, no way.

You can get Pentosan at Wedgewood for the best price.
    I know this. I have two bottles from Wedgewood in my meds cabinet right now. But how are we supposed to order from Wedgewood with an "illegal" script. Your posts confuse me

And I guess my vets have one of those special permits. In fact, they were the one working to get Tildren FDA approved for use in horses. Safe to sat they can be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by paintjumper View Post
    what is "illegal" about Pentosan?
    There are a couple gray areas with it. There are products that do the same thing but aren't the same thing. Legend and Adequan.

It is not FDA approved so it would be an off label use.

The biggest thing is that if a vet prescribes it, it can not be compounded. It has to come from overseas. A vet can't write a script or get a drug that is available through the manufacturer and get that drug compounded because of cost.

Default Ok

got it. It's used also for interstitial cystitis, interesting. I wonder if "people docs" can order from wedgewood? I'll have to look at the wedgewood site, it is new to me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by paintjumper View Post
    got it. It's used also for interstitial cystitis, interesting. I wonder if "people docs" can order from wedgewood? I'll have to look at the wedgewood site, it is new to me. Thanks.
    Yes. They do have people and small animal drugs as well.

Smile Great

A friend of mine had bladder cancer and really suffers with IC from time to time. I'll be telling her.

My vet ordered a bottle for me (Wedgewood).. there's a big markup, but it's still way cheaper than anything else on the market.