The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Clay Maier long lining clinic...anyone who has participated?

I've seen bits and pieces of his Friesian Spectacular. He's doing a clinic next weekend not too far from where I live and I was wondering if it would at least be worth auditing? Worth participating? I've done some ground driving, but that was long ago and what I did was very straight forward, nothing more than straight lines, circles, figure 8's and going around obstacles.

Flyer says it's long lining techniques to help all breeds, but are his clinics mostly attended by Friesian owners etc? It's being held at a predominately Friesian training barn.

Opinions and oberservations welcomed.
    "It's not a mistake if you knew what you were doing was wrong."

I don't know anything about his clinics, but I've seen his demonstrations for years, and he's very skilled. Obviously you know that, or you wouldn't be interested in attending.

I don't think you'd be short-changed if you participated with a non-Friesian. There's a Fjord pictured in a clinic on his website.

It's a great opportunity that you shouldn't miss.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

Clay works with all kinds of horses. When he lived here (he lived at our place for several years) he helped me with my Hanoverian combined driving horse. I think there is still a photo of us on his website modeling the surcingle and long lines He gave lessons to all sorts of people with different breeds and skill levels and they were all quite happy with his teaching style and what they got out of the lessons.

He really is an amazing horseman and you can learn a lot about long lining and how it can help your horse in all sorts of endeavors.

Clay is also a really wonderful person, if you go tell him Kanoe sends her fondest regards. We miss him out here!
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.