The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    I'd actually really like to have a Guinea Pig - first time in decades I haven't had other indoor pets, so it would be a great time for it - but they are absurdly hard to find in the Chattanooga area. Looks like I'd have to drive to Knoxville or Atlanta. I surf Craigslist periodically when I remember to, but they're always gone when I call.
    The household inherited a few briefly when I was a kid. They belonged to Mom's 2nd husband's ex-wife (got that? ) When 2nd husband went to get some stuff he'd left, she insisted he take the 2 guinea pigs, too. I swear, it was some sort of revenge.

They whistle. A long, two-toned whistle, rising at the end. They do this at all hours, including 2:00 a.m. You can hear them in the other end of the house. With the bedroom door shut.

The cats also worried them, peering into the cage and trying to decide if this was a giant mouse or what, but the cats weren't responsible for the nighttime siren whistles, as the cats were in bed with me (in the other end of the house with the bedroom doors shut).

One animal that rapidly made my "not if you paid me" list was a guinea pig.

I want a greyhound. And a mini donkey. And a smallish parrot (I've had a cockatiel and I loved her, but they need a lot more time than I can give now). And finally, a pet pig. Not a potbelly pig. A legit pig. I just want to see how smart they really are!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I've got the only animal I ever really coveted but I'd love to have some more pets if they were low-maintenance ones. Having a dog is really as high-maintenance as I can fit into my life right now.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by tallyho392 View Post
    lovey...we were seperated at birth.........i have seriously coveted an english bully since i saw the FIRST version of incredible journey when i was six........and i have had labs and jrts for the past 30 yrs...multiples,at the same time.. mornig
    Tally, we are indeed separated at birth! The orig Incredible Journey was my first favorite movie, along with the Horse in The Grey Flannel Suit and Charlie The Lonesome Cougar (bless you, Uncle Walt Disney). and Mary Poppins.

Labs and Jacks go so nicely together, don't they? Attitudinal Jack meets big mellow Lab...it's a tie...shake (blblblblblaaa) and call it a day....

@dressagetraks: I know, I had 'em as a kid. But I *like* their little squeaky voices. And I want to build a really fun playpen on my kitchen table (since it's never used for anything else!) and I want one to sit on my tummy munching lettuce while I watch TV.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

HA - this is a fun topic

I've always been tempted to get a bearded dragon, but with the cats, dogs and just having something else around with "special needs?" Nawww... but I really think they're cool!

I've just resigned myself to enjoy the fence lizards around here instead - they're cool, too!

I've always wanted a chinchilla SO badly. And chickens!!

Other than various horses?

I really badly want a mule at some point in my life.

I would love to have a big Doberman Pinscher, but I live in an apartment building that has breed and size restrictions. some day.

and a sheep! I very much want a sheep.

I'm very excited to be getting my very own puppy of the dog breed I most covet next summer. an Ibizan Hound.

After years of longing for a Bloodhound, I finally got my girl last February. When she comes up and puts her disgustingly dirty wet mouth mouth on my clean pants, it is pure love. I don't even mind washing the dried on drool off the walls, ceiling, floors, and any other surface it may land on when she shakes her head.

The only downfall, it is hard to have a 95 pound lapdog. Using my laptop can be difficult sometimes.

Jacob sheep.
    But they may be on the horizon...

Oh, and a dromedary.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

shireluver, bless you for embracing the drool machine that is a Bloodhound...I had a Golden who used to stay with me frequently who drooled heavily-think ropes of drool. My favorite formation was the Rosary-2 strings, one from each side, which then joined in a heavenly embrace at the bottom to then continue to the ground. In autumn, the Rosary was delightfully decorated with lovely leaves...

Poor dog used to think his name was "TuckerGoAway", since being a Golden, all he wanted to do was lean on you, smearing slobber from crotch to knees.

He's been gone for many years, bless him, but I still gently curse him whenever I spot the drool stains on my sideboard, a lasting reminder of TuckerGoAway and the cold hard fact that drool will stain fine wood FOREVER if it isnt spotted and wiped immediately.

I know its a bit boring, but I would love a mini! I'd love to load the mini up with the dogs and go for walks in the woods! A black and white pinto, like the one here on "Off Course"" Big vs. Little".

a pig. And a saluki; but sighthounds don't work with my lifestyle.

For years I have desperately wanted a great dane. My dream finally came true in August - now I am the mommy to this beautiful girl:
    http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...05611788_n.jpg
    http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...95089994_n.jpg

(Dressagetraks, you can come curl up with her whenever you want, she's a very good cuddler )
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Sigh. I want guinea pigs, chickens, pigeons, tropical fish, goldfish, finches, an aviary... My dog wants a cat. Our hearts say yes, but our pocketbook says no no. I always envy the people who have a menagerie, but I don't have the time, space or money right now.

1. A herd of sheep (Merinos would be nice, but so would any of a variety of rare/heritage breeds.

2. Goats-milkers ideally.

3. Chickens for laying, geese for watchdogs, ducks for fun.

4. A Scottish Terrier and a West Highland White.

5. A herd of cows. (I'm torn between Irish Dexter, Highland, or Guernseys. Obviously a variety of purposes!)

And a rich husband to pay for the fencing...because man, would I need fencing.

Seems I could help a few of you out - at least to get your "fix"! I have two mini donkeys (Chuck and Larry) and four Dobermans (one of each color - black, red, fawn and blue).

For whoever it was who loved the braying - the donks will hee-haw at you as soon as you come in the driveway because You Do Not Have A Permit and You Are Not My Mommy. They do know the UPS driver and don't raise the alarm at him, but all hell breaks loose if he's on vacation and the substitute driver is delivering packages! They are always on patrol and they take it very seriously

Any of the Doberman lovers are welcome to come pick up our youngest, Flynn, anytime. He just turned 2 and he's.....energetic.....creative.....determined? LOL I'm trying to think of those words that sound good but they really mean something else entirely. He's a handful and he's a TANK. He's the blue. Perhaps I should start a Rent-A-Dobe business....

My "covet" animal from before I can remember was a red Doberman - and I got her and she's my first doggie love.

The one that I've always wanted and just can't have is an African Grey parrot. Fortunately I've been living the dream vicariously through a COTH pal of mine who posts great pics of hers being silly, ornery and all things Grey on Facebook!

in order of desire:
    elephant
    belted galloway
    black squirrel

i'm weird.

A big flight cage of finches.

I find their sweet beeps comforting.
    Some day I'm going to tell my grandkids that I am older than the internet and blow their minds.

Dogs: Great Dane, Australian Shepherd or Blue Heeler. My Boxers would not appreciate another 4-legged addition to our family right now.

I would love a mini donk Especially if one of my dear friends convinces me to take her giant Perch/Trak off her hands. He'd need a companion

And a plain old orange tabby cat. DH and MIL are about as anti-cat as you can be so no cats in my future. Thankfully my parents have one who gives me kitty cuddle fixes whenever I go visit. He loves to curl up on my chest and sleep with his nose on my face (when he was a kitten he'd try to put his nose up yours....he's a strange cat....might be missing a few brain cells, but that's what makes him so endearing)