The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cur-OST?

Anybody ever use it? I saw a letter in the latest Chronicle about it.

From what I understand the main ingredients are curcumin and boswellia.

I can't believe COTH published that letter, which is nothing more than a blatant advertisement.

Boswellia and curcumin are both weak NSAIDs. Same potential risks, same potential benefits as bute, aspirin, or any other NSAID. At multiple times the cost and a fraction of the potency. That is, if you can actually know how potent they are, which you cannot because there is no standard for potency or quality in nutraceuticals and no regulation.

Sort of like throwing a handful of baby aspirin at a horse and muttering incantations. Except at least you know that baby aspirin is what it says it is.

There are powerful things out there in the world of herbals. These ingredients are not among them. If a very weak NSAID is what you need and guaranteed analysis, potency, and quality control are optional, go for it.
    Click here before you buy.

I was kind of surprised to see the letter too, because it did sound like an advertisement.
    I was hoping to get my horse off of bute so it sounded pretty good - but lots of things sound good - doesn't mean they work!

Toying with the idea of a rebuttal letter. It ticks me off and does a huge disservice to horses and humans alike when these products, which are de facto drugs, are touted as safer and better, when neither is usually the case.

Smile CurOst

Quote Originally Posted by harr754 View Post
    Anybody ever use it? I saw a letter in the latest Chronicle about it.
    I want to tell you about my personal experience with CurOSt
    My daughter sent me her 20 year old former jumper who was so stiff and lame, he was ready to be put down, he could hardly walk out of his stall, he had warts on his hind feet and his left leg was swollen up to his hock, she thought we could just turn him out to pasture. I felt so sorry for him that I went on the internet and found CurOSt and decided to try it.
    With 14 days he was walking out of his stall, no swelling, no lameness and I am now riding him cross country. The most amazing turn around and I have had horses since I was 7 yrs old and am now 69.
    Since then, my daughter who has a hunter jumper barn in Illinois, Galway Farm, she is owner and trainer, Lorrie Canady, her email is galwayltd@aol.com. She now has 20 of her show horses on CurOst, one 7 year old was lame for 2 years and is now back to showing. Contact her, she will also tell you how wonderful the product is.

Nothing so compelling as a passionate anecdote. Stodgy old evidence needs a PR agent.

WARTS?!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Howard-Rodney View Post
    I want to tell you about my personal experience with CurOSt
    My daughter sent me her 20 year old former jumper who was so stiff and lame, he was ready to be put down, he could hardly walk out of his stall, he had warts on his hind feet and his left leg was swollen up to his hock, she thought we could just turn him out to pasture. I felt so sorry for him that I went on the internet and found CurOSt and decided to try it.
    With 14 days he was walking out of his stall, no swelling, no lameness and I am now riding him cross country. The most amazing turn around and I have had horses since I was 7 yrs old and am now 69.
    Since then, my daughter who has a hunter jumper barn in Illinois, Galway Farm, she is owner and trainer, Lorrie Canady, her email is galwayltd@aol.com. She now has 20 of her show horses on CurOst, one 7 year old was lame for 2 years and is now back to showing. Contact her, she will also tell you how wonderful the product is.

The fact that you make money as a purveyor of this stuff has absolutely no bearing onthe glowing testimonial above, right?
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    The fact that you make money as a purveyor of this stuff has absolutely no bearing onthe glowing testimonial above, right?
    I was thinking the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Boswellia and curcumin are both weak NSAIDs.

There are powerful things out there in the world of herbals. These ingredients are not among them. If a very weak NSAID is what you need and guaranteed analysis, potency, and quality control are optional, go for it.
    I thought boswellia was supposed to be more effective with less side effects than devil's claw.

Default You're very negitive, do you have a horse?

I think you should try it before you make such a blatent statement. I have used it and it really works, so have many others. Bute and aspirin cause stomache problems, there are no problems with CurOst. Sorry you are so uninformed.
    Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I can't believe COTH published that letter, which is nothing more than a blatant advertisement.

Boswellia and curcumin are both weak NSAIDs. Same potential risks, same potential benefits as bute, aspirin, or any other NSAID. At multiple times the cost and a fraction of the potency. That is, if you can actually know how potent they are, which you cannot because there is no standard for potency or quality in nutraceuticals and no regulation.

Sort of like throwing a handful of baby aspirin at a horse and muttering incantations. Except at least you know that baby aspirin is what it says it is.

Default You need to try it, it works, no more need for bute.

Don't listen to the negative submittals, Not an advertisement. [edit]
    Quote Originally Posted by harr754 View Post
    I was kind of surprised to see the letter too, because it did sound like an advertisement.
    I was hoping to get my horse off of bute so it sounded pretty good - but lots of things sound good - doesn't mean they work!
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Dec. 4, 2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: to remove advertising details

Smile Reason for being purveyor

Purveyor because it works! [edit]
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie19 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing!
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Dec. 4, 2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: to remove advertising

Smile Not pony baloney!

It is extremely effective. You are correct, more effective and less side effects. Don't believe negative people.
    Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    I thought boswellia was supposed to be more effective with less side effects than devil's claw.

Smile I'll send you some for free!

Testimonial is true. Helping horses is my goal. [edit] I'm sorry so many people think others are lying!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Dec. 4, 2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: to remove advertising details

I always get a giggle when someone selling stuff decides the best way to promote or defend their income-producing product is to try to appear smarter than others by mild insults.

Especially hilarious when those they're trying to sound smarter than are a couple of doctors.

Who just *might* know more about medications and herbs than the average salesperson.

But no, really....tell us more!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Howard-Rodney View Post
    I think you should try it before you make such a blatent statement. I have used it and it really works, so have many others. Bute and aspirin cause stomache problems, there are no problems with CurOst. Sorry you are so uninformed.
    Excuse me, ALL medications and herbs have side effects. There are even "problems" with things that seem innocuous, like oh IV fluids. Yes, that's right, you can kill a patient giving them too much fluid or the wrong kind.

So, don't tell me that "there are no problems" especially when the problems are the same, as a class, for all NSAIDS, of which your product contains TWO.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

I hope everyone on COTH has learned not to click on greenie links. You might just get more than you bargained for.

I reported it too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant