The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default skinny jeans

All of my jeans are utilitarian i.e. wrangler, levis, like that. Yesterday I went looking for some skinny jeans mostly bc I want to wear my new boots more and thought they'de look better. I balked at the price (and I was in a consignment store!) Then, coincidently my SO brought home 2 pairs that fit me real good. one pair are J. Brand and one are Kelly 001.

Question for fashionistas-are skinny jeansmonemof those age-appropriate styles that a slightly over 50 person should not wear? I gotta say they look pretty good,
    and most of the time I'd probably be wearing a long t or sweater.

If you have the figure for it and you don't try to look like a 20 year old, go for it!
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

I don't think they are 'age-appropriate', I think they are body-appropriate. I don't think any standard type of clothing is necessarily ever 'age appropriate' e.g., hoodies or t-shirts.

If you've got the right shape and are, in fact, skinny, they're no different than any other slim-fitting jeans. If you're the wrong shape, they'll look awful all on their own no matter what your age.

If you feel uncomfortable about it, that's a different matter, I think. I remember there were things that looked silly on older people when I was a kid, but those all seemed to be clothes that were faddish.

Maybe it's different for women and no doubt it makes a difference what you wear with them. Men have fewer ways to seem ridiculous that way and what's available for men is generally more low-key, anyway.

People tell me I look pretty good in mine because they fit right, and I did a reality check with a couple of friends' kids just under and a bit over 20 who speak their minds. They seemed to think they were just fine, just like the t-shirts. I'm just glad that I didn't run to fat like most guys.

Too many people upon reaching middle-age define themselves into being old and stodgy. Before you know it, they really are, and look the part.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Question for fashionistas-are skinny jeansmonemof those age-appropriate styles that a slightly over 50 person should not wear? I gotta say they look pretty good,
    and most of the time I'd probably be wearing a long t or sweater.
    One needs to be skinny to rock said skinny jeans. And somewhat leggy.
    I am a size 14-16. If I wore skinny jeans, I'd look like a hotdog that was left in the microwave too long on high.

If you are trim, rock em. My MIL is thin and very stylish. She's in her late 50's. Wears em all the time.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

I'm a size 14 and I LIVE in skinny jeans! It's all about finding the right ones. I have found success with NY&Co's jeggings .. and recently, quite to my surprise, Target's Xhileration jeggings. Now if only I could find a full body shot to share...

Real Simple Magazine had a feature last fall about skinny jeans for the different age decades 30s, 40s, 50s. I LOVED how they styled each of their models and hope to continue wearing skinny jeans for the rest of my life!
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Skinny jeans can look fine on heavier people if you wear a long sweater that goes to mid thigh. They actually will look better than regular jeans with a tucked in top, or short sweater would, since the sweater elongates the body and covers up hips, stomach and butt. Just wear appropriate footwear (ie boots).

My 84 year old grandmother wears skinny jeans all the time and looks great in them. She's very stylish. I think it's more about how you wear them than how old you are.

With a long sweater or tunic, with tall boots or even ballet flats, they can look very pulled-together and flattering even if you're a bit heavier around the middle.

There is a difference between being cut slim and being tight. A size 10, 12 or up pair of slim/skinny jeans, as long as they fit, are just fine and perfectly age appropriate. THEY SHOULD NOT BE TIGHT!

And now that the silhouette is being made for the general population, you can find them with a slightly higher rise, as opposed to the low-rise version of even a few years ago that led to the dread muffin top.

I'm on the 10/12 bubble and just found a great pair of stretchy black knit "skinnies" that I wear with tall black boots and a coat-style long sweater in a mid-guage knit.

I look like a fiercely stylish Prussian calvary officer if I do say so myself! And I'm not 18.

I've always avoided skinny jeans despite being skinny myself because I just got this general idea in my head that they look terrible on everyone. However, I bought a pair of dark wash skinny jeans last week and they look so awesome, I practically live in them now. I turned them into a mature look by buying a dark wash pair, wearing them with nice leather boots, a cute light sweater and a scarf. If you're running around in skinnies and Uggs, I would say that's only age appropriate for a high schooler, but you CAN make them look good on any age group - keeping in mind body shape as well, as some one already said.

I live in skinny jeans, but I find it funny that the reason I got into wearing them at all was for riding... I used to wear bootcut jeans and I was always tired of having to wrap them around my leg under my chaps so I could get them zipped. Then skinnys came into fashion and I was like "Huzzah! A solution for my half chap drama!" because I could zip my chaps right over them without having to do contortions in the jeans department.
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

Blackcat, you have a good point.

For any horsefolk out there who are timid about the slim/skinny silhouette, it's really just like wearing a pair of breeches, actually. Just make sure they're well-fitting!

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy Gray VA View Post
    I look like a fiercely stylish Prussian calvary officer if I do say so myself! And I'm not 18.

This is the best quote and it is also my motivation for the gym today LOL!!!!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I have tried on a few that made me shudder in the dressing room. But one pair is a dark wash with a higher rise. The other pair is diesel brand (a splurge!) That are skinny but not skin tight. I love these jeans!! I usually wear both under boots (street boots) as they look more balanced, or even the cuffs folded up.
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

Ugh skinny jeans are one fashion trend that I just don't get. I don't think they look good on anyone. Although, I say if you like em wear em and to hell with what anyone else thinks
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I just bought my first pair a month or so ago and LOVE them! I avoided them for a long time too; I'm a 6/8 but smaller on top and carry all my weight in the butt/thighs; I thought for sure they would look terrible but they are great! I wear them with long sweaters/tops and boots or with flats and cuffed and both ways the effect is very slimming. I got them in black too, which I think helps. Mine are from LOFT and actually fit me better than any of the designer brands I tried (plus with my student ID they were less than 50 bucks!). I agree with the above posters- appropriate for any age as long as they're worn right.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

I think skinny jeans are for teenagers and aged rock stars...I confess to reading fashion magazines tho and that infleuences my opinion. Most the clothes they wear in vogue are not street fashion but even they say skinny jeans are very last year. Have you considered straight legged?