The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Caviar for Christmas

Can anyone recommend some good mail-order caviar for Christmas?

I order Caviar every year for New Year's Eve, & sometimes for my birthday &/or Valentine's Day. Used to order regularly from "Caviarteria" (http://www.caviarteria.com/) - excellent quality, high prices, so-so customer service - but since 2007 have been ordering our caviar & other gourmet items (including gifts) from "Gourmet Food Store" (http://www.gourmetfoodstore.com/) - good quality, terrific selection, very reasonable prices, & good customer service.

The biggest difference between the two companies is that "Caviarteria" imports their own caviar in bulk & packages it fresh in rubber-banded tins, while "Gourmet Food Store" buys & sells different brands of pre-packaged jars. There is a difference, but it depends on what you want &/or what you're used to. I like them both for different reasons.

See now, the problem I have with mail order food is where I live. If it's a box, they take it at the apt office and I may not know for a whole day that it's down there going bad. I don't mind when that happens and it's NOT a food product but how do you deal with boxes that sit out too long?

Petrossian delivers, but they're pricy:
    http://www.petrossian.com/caviar-1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Traum View Post
    See now, the problem I have with mail order food is where I live. If it's a box, they take it at the apt office and I may not know for a whole day that it's down there going bad. I don't mind when that happens and it's NOT a food product but how do you deal with boxes that sit out too long?
    Rip them a new arsehole and then scream about it on the world wide web? That's one way to go.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by Traum View Post
    Well, when I was working outside the home, I ordered it all the time without a problem. FedEx would leave the box on my deck by the front door, there were always several ice packs in the box, & everything was always still cold, even if the box had sat there for most of the day. In addition, they always told me exactly when they were shipping it (via overnight express), so I knew when to expect it in case I ever did have to make arrangements for someone else to take it in for me.

Has anyone had any problems using FedEx for their delivery? I have some large dogs that bark and sometimes the FedEx guy leaves packages at the end of the driveway and I don't know about them until I find them days later.... It really pisses me off when that happens.