The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Job is sucking the life out of me.

Well this is opposite of my last OT work post!

Used to be bored and useless at my job.

Now its running my life.

We restructured, reassigned, and re-everything.

I have absorbed the duties of 1 guy who left, as well as 2 guys who are still there, make 4-500 bucks more than me a week and no raise.

I have a tension headache from Sunday night to Friday night.
    I pass out every night at bed time from sheer mental exhaustion.

I'm on the phone ALL THE TIME. Cell and landline. Solving problems, talking customers off the ledge and employees. Reviewing time cards (one guy got jipped $540 in OT and HR FORGOT to put his raise into effect. For THREE WEEKS). Scheduling 5-7 technicians on a daily basis.
    (read: it is my sole purpose on Earth to make sure all of them have their 40 hours plus, are happy and paid correctly, the customers are tended to like small children).

I'm fricking exhausted. My brain hurts. I love being so busy but really think that the weight of the company is resting on my shoulders and that the guys who are my equals should not be making 25k a year more than me.

Remember when I said I wasn't a vital cog in the wheel? Well, screw the wheel. I'm the goddamn keystone in the arch.

How can I relax? Yoga? Can I do it at home?

I took the day before thanksgiving off, and we're closed the Friday after. While this is nice, this translates to 6x the work on Tuesday and Monday. And the damn Iphone ringing off the hook every day I am gone.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

First, you probably won't be able to relax very well unless something is done about the terrible work load that you have to contend with. Talk to someone who can help you about it. It does not bode well for the company to have super stressed out employees who can't handle their jobs because of the amount of work. Second, set limits for when you can and can not check emails, answer the phone, etc. TURN IT OFF! Do what makes you happy sans cell phone. Cook, read, go to the beach, barn, or for walks in nature. Just remember that work is work and it is what you do for a living but not what you live to do. As long as you are fulfilling your obligations and making sure that you do your job, you should be fine. Also, meditate for five or ten minutes each day before you go to bed. Just sit in a quiet place in your house, letting your thoughts come and go. Close your eyes, breathe deeply, and relax. It does wonders for the stressed out mind.
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Do only what YOU are capable of completing, not what two people can handle. If you get buried and things get missed, let them know that you are under staffed. It's better to try that than burn out so badly you ruin your health.

I know the job market is getting better, but isn't great so that approach is a risk. But you really don't want to die because of your job.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Have you spoken with HR or you supervisor about your workload?

LOL HR or supervisor. That's Dad. Owner and CEO. I'm taking over the company. Everyday I hear "You and me kid, we can run this place!" We're both stressed out.

WTF is with people that don't want to work? I see it so much its disgusting. People no longer value their jobs, do the bare minimum. What ever happened to pride in the job?

We had a loss last year and are still recovering. I know that I'll get a hefty raise, probably after Jan 1.

The problem with being really fricking good at your job is that you become a little too irreplaceable.

Our bottom line is up, technician morality is up, customers rave about me and my guys.

Goddamn it I am stellar at my job.

I've heard "Why don't you come in at 8 instead of 9?" like 10 times.

Because that means I would be there from 8 until 5, not 9 to five.

I'm no fool. I can VPN in from home. I'm not adding more hours to my day. Cannot. Thankfully, barn has no hours and I've been hanging there until like 9pm. Then I have to come home and feed the hubbs, laundry, housework...pass out, rinse and repeat.

I have the same problem at my job, and HR couldn't care less......I tend to take reponsibility for getting things done on time, even if I am overwhelmed, but it is affecting my health greatly. We now have 2 employees in a department where there should be four, with a 1200 plus caseload! I plan to do what I can, and let the rest slide. Sorry, but we just can't handle the work load! Maybe HR will take notice once things go to pot. I'll TRY not to stress in the meantime, but my job sucks the life out of me, too! I used to really like my work, and I truly HATE it now
    Last edited by farmgirl598; Nov. 12, 2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: typos

Sounds like you're in the wrong business then. Perhaps it's time to look at your goals in life and see if you need a career reset.

Best advice ever, my daughter gave a friend. Stop whining about your job and do something to change your life...go to school, etc.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    LOL HR or supervisor. That's Dad. Owner and CEO. I'm taking over the company. Everyday I hear "You and me kid, we can run this place!" We're both stressed out.

WTF is with people that don't want to work? I see it so much its disgusting. People no longer value their jobs, do the bare minimum. What ever happened to pride in the job?

We had a loss last year and are still recovering. I know that I'll get a hefty raise, probably after Jan 1.

The problem with being really fricking good at your job is that you become a little too irreplaceable.

Our bottom line is up, technician morality is up, customers rave about me and my guys.

I'm no fool. I can VPN in from home. I'm not adding more hours to my day. Cannot. Thankfully, barn has no hours and I've been hanging there until like 9pm. Then I have to come home and feed the hubbs, laundry, housework...pass out, rinse and repeat.
    Well, if you'd said that right from the start...

Being owner of a company is a whole different ball of wax! Find a way to get more help, or make a decision if it's worth it to keep working at the job or to leave it to your dad, or get him to sell the company.

But it sounds like you actually like your job and killing yourself for it, well sort of killing yourself. Most of the country has people working 8-5 and LONGER without kvetching. And many of those also find a way to have a family and ride horses. And you're getting a raise? Huh.

As for other people not working hard, I don't see that so much. I see it with some of the younger kids who have a sense of entitlement, or older people who feel that companies have no loyaltly to the employees anymore and feel like no matter how hard they work--they could get cut. So they stop investing in the job and the company and do just what needs to be done. Why kill yourself for a place that doesn't value you? Just kill time and collect a pay check until you can find another job and hope that company is better.

The attitude of large corporations is instilling this behavior and accepting it. They know they can outsource and replace anyone on their payroll. They don't value anyone working for them at all. They think anyone can fill any roll (well, other than upper management--they all believe they cannot be replaced ).

I don't know about small mom & pop shops. I do know that I did some temp jobs in my 20s at a couple fairly large companies that were family owned and they were a nightmare. The owners kids all felt that they walked on water. They knew they were going to inherit the company and get promotions. So none of the other employees strived for anything because there were no opportunites for advancement. Also, if one of the kids decided they didn't like you for any reason, they would find a way to fire you. I was a temp. I watched it and was happy I was not a real employee. I was very happy when I was finished with that one!

(BTW, coming in later than your employees is BAD form. If they can't see you working, they feel that you're getting special privileges and are not having to work for your paycheck the way they are.)
    Last edited by Velvet; Nov. 12, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Sounds like you're in the wrong business then. Perhaps it's time to look at your goals in life and see if you need a career reset.

Best advice ever, my daughter gave a friend. Stop whining about your job and do something to change your life...go to school, etc.
    This definitely.

And, sorry, kiddo, not a lot of sympathy from me who works 50+ hours a week (that's now, up that way up during show season when I also braid nights and weekends). 9 -5 is a less than standard work day including an hour lunch, only 7 hours.

Your employees pay should be your top priority, it's the prime motivator for a well run company with everyone pulling their load.

I would suggest getting some time management coaching and spending some of your off time educating yourself on being an efficient and approachable leader in your company
    Last edited by twotrudoc; Nov. 12, 2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: inability to take ownership of my adding skillz
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

You're working 9-5. A busy 9-5, but 9-5 from what I read. You're being groomed to take over your family firm. The amount of work is hardly eyebrow-raising in that context; many small business owners complain that they're never "off" and 9-5 is a fantasy for them, much less spending hours at the barn de-stressing.

You'll be getting a big raise in Jan. Use it to hire a maid or meal delivery service if "the hubbs" won't share housework/cooking equally. There's no reason you have to work full-time and do all the household chores. Most couples I know that are my age (as opposed to my parents' age) either share more or less equally, or if they make enough money hire help to deal with it.

Heck, if you are the boss, can those 2 guys who are not pulling their weight! I am sure there is replacement available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I don't get it OP, first you don't understand why people don't want to work, then you say that your technician's "morality" is up (I think you meant morale).

I've found that the attitudes of employees tend to reflect those of management. If you treat employees with respect and consideration, pay a decent wage, don't micro-manage, you will end up with, for the most part, pretty darn good employees, ones that won't "do the bare minimum". In other words, you tend to get back what you dish out.

You're pretty high on yourself too. Maybe you should take a good hard look at the whole package.

Aren't you the same poster who complained about some kind of harassment from a co-worker and dear old Dad wouldn't back you up?

Well, OP I'm in basically the same position as you. Except that my daddy doesn't own the company and I'm not being positioned to take over the company or see a great salary increase. And I sure work a shitload of a lot more hours than 9-5. And I'm salaried, not hourly.

I feel the pain of working as part of a service organization, especially if it is a dysfunctional one. And I know working for a family business has it's own special hazards and stressors but I would sure give anything to be in your shoes - the opportunity to make good money, have a say in my destiny and it seems in your case - to work relatively normal hours.

Instead, I work for the service division of a large instrumentation company. I work about 60 hours per week on average and absolutely and measurably am twice as productive as most people in my department. I work these hours of my own free will. It is not expected or demanded of me. I like to work. But, I will not have any opportunity to advance in this group and people stay at this company for DECADES...so there is not a lot of opportunity for promotion to management, no matter how qualified and how you have proven yourself.

So, my question is, are you hiring?
    Last edited by sketcher; Nov. 12, 2011 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post

Aren't you the same poster who complained about some kind of harassment from a co-worker and dear old Dad wouldn't back you up?
    I didn't ever see that, but I do know she's the same poster who some months back didn't want to take over or be involved in the business. Claimed even good money wasn't worth it. Then not much later posted that she was treated unfairly by her BO where she boarded and worked, all apparently because, in her mind, they saw her brand new Cadillac she drove to the barn.

I stopped really giving a hoot after she mentioned the new car in about three different threads in a few days time.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Like I said, Long Spot, she seems very full of herself.

I am unimpressed with new (or old) cadillacs.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

OP - time for a reality check.

When my late father had his restaurants my siblings and mother all worked there. That meant doing anything and everything had to be done.
    That meant spending my Sophomore HS Christmas at the restaurant, 6am to 7:30 PM 12 days out of 14. When he decided to test being open for 12 hours.
    That meant working whenever the help decided to take off or were sick.

This is your family's business and you - not your employees are responsible for it's success or failure.

9-5, 5 days a week tells me you are not that interested in taking on the company. Instead you have the "make 8 and hit the gate" mentally. Actually that is make 7. . . That does not bode well for the family business.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

OP, it sounds like your plate is full, but taking a step back and evaluating the big picture might be helpful. An attitude of gratitude for what you do have in a time when so many willing-to-work-hard people can't find enough work might reframe your stress.

I would be thrilled to even find an opening for a full-time job in my field to apply for, and ecstatic beyond belief to obtain said full-time job.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Well, if you'd said that right from the start...

Being owner of a company is a whole different ball of wax! Find a way to get more help, or make a decision if it's worth it to keep working at the job or to leave it to your dad, or get him to sell the company.

But it sounds like you actually like your job and killing yourself for it, well sort of killing yourself. Most of the country has people working 8-5 and LONGER without kvetching. And many of those also find a way to have a family and ride horses. And you're getting a raise? Huh.

As for other people not working hard, I don't see that so much. I see it with some of the younger kids who have a sense of entitlement, or older people who feel that companies have no loyaltly to the employees anymore and feel like no matter how hard they work--they could get cut. So they stop investing in the job and the company and do just what needs to be done. Why kill yourself for a place that doesn't value you? Just kill time and collect a pay check until you can find another job and hope that company is better.

The attitude of large corporations is instilling this behavior and accepting it. They know they can outsource and replace anyone on their payroll. They don't value anyone working for them at all. They think anyone can fill any roll (well, other than upper management--you they all believe they cannot be replaced ).

I don't know about small mom & pop shops. I do know that I did some temp jobs in my 20s at a couple fairly large companies that were family owned and they were a nightmare. The owners kids all felt that they walked on water. They knew they were going to inherit the company and get promotions. So none of the other employees strived for anything because there were no opportunites for advancement. Also, if one of the kids decided they didn't like you for any reason, they would find a way to fire you. I was a temp. I watched it and was happy I was not a real employee. I was very happy when I was finished with that one!

(BTW, coming in later than your employees is BAD form. If they can't see you working, they feel that you're getting special privileges and are not having to work for your paycheck the way they are.)
    Hmm. I never said I came in later than anyone here? My employees see me go out on service calls, schedule them, grant their raises, ensure they get their 40, listen to their thoughts and think about them first. They hear me speak to customers, vendors, the bank.

And let us be clear-

I do not think I walk on water. By ANY means. I don't feel privledged. I busted my ass in school for this job, learned and am learning the trade the best to my ability. I'm not sure what size company is considered mom and pop, but we have around 30 employees, over 3k clients?

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    This definitely.

And, sorry, kiddo, not a lot of sympathy from me who works 50+ hours a week (that's now, up that way up during show season when I also braid nights and weekends). 9 -5 is a less than standard work day including an hour lunch, only 7 hours.

Your employees pay should be your top priority, it's the prime motivator for a well run company with everyone pulling their load.

I would suggest getting some time management coaching and spending some of your off time educating yourself on being an efficient and approachable leader in your company

My employee's happiness is my #1. Morale is definitely UP! I don't yell at or reprimand them as others have done. I talk to them. Like people.

And what's lunch hour? I don't have one of those.

What makes me unapproachable and not a leader?