The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Medicating horse - ideas?

My mare needs antibiotics 3 times a day.

She is on 16 TMS pills twice a day. And 2 scoops of powdered metronidizole (sp?) 3 times per day for the next 3 weeks.

Currently, I'm giving them orally by syringe.

The powdered metronidizole (met.) is easy to dissolve in water, but mare spits some out. And with the TMS I'm having problems getting it to fully dissolve in hot water and push through the syringe.

So what I'm thinking of doing is crushing up the TMS pills and mixing with the met. and water in one syringe to aid with dissolving the TMS and making the met. a bit thicker. And then there will only be one syringe of meds orally each time instead of two. I'm using a 60 cc syringe.

Does this seem like it may work? Or does anyone have any better ideas?

thanks!

I actually mix is soaked alfalfa pellets and there regular grain ration for my horses. You could also try soaked beet pulp and other tasty treats.

Don't know if it will work in your case, but back when my mare was being treated for severe ulcers, I had to crush up the same amount of medicine for her. It was recommended that I put the crushed meds in a syringe of Karo syrup...messy at times (very sticky), but it did work pretty well. Good luck...medicating like that can be a pain!

You are giving trimethoprim and sulfadiazine and not SMZ's?

If your main question is can you mix the two antibiotics together then you should ask your vet to be absolutely sure. I can't think of any reason why you couldn't, but I've never used that combination before either.

Tucoprim (or Uniprim) are powdered trimethoprim and sulfadiazine.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/tucopr...der-3829p.aspx

You can ask your vet if that would work instead of the pills.

I've had certain brands of SMZ that were hard to dissolve, and in those cases I've put the pills in a glass of hot water and let them sit covered by a cloth (overnight) until the dose was required. Then immediately after giving the dose I'd start dissolving the next dose right away so the pills would always be dissolved by the time the next dose was needed.

As Fharoah suggested, mixing antibiotics in a mash can work for some horses. For horses that get grain I've added a couple of handfuls of wheat bran to the grain, and then added water and the dissolved pills to make a mash. If I mix it up real well some horses will eat it.

For horses that get pellets, I add water to the pellets and let them sit awhile and melt, and then add the dissolved pills and more water and stir it to make a mash.

For some horses I need to sprinkle a little sugar, or molasses on top of the mash to get them to take that first bite, then once they are eating it, they just finish it up.

If you can't otherwise hide it in a treat or in their food, the syringe (oral drench) is usually the best way to be sure that they get their meds.

If the horse is spitting out A LOT of it, you may need to have your vet, or someone with experience check your technique to be sure you're getting it in her mouth correctly and then holding her jaw long enough until she swallows.

But it's not uncommon for SOME to spill out of the horses mouth even when the most experienced persons give a horse an oral drench.

Getting drenched with the meds is probably why someone named it "oral drench".

UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND
    How to administer an oral drench to a horse.
    (I think the use of the crush is for the safety of the vet students)

http://www.uq.edu.au/research/rid/fi...ench_horse.pdf

Thanks for the replies.

My mare is only eating mashes right now as she had a tooth removed. But she's not eating them very well so she needs to be medicated with a syringe.

I'm using a syringe and she's not losing much of it. I have experience adminstering oral drenches (grew up on a cattle farm and given them to horses before). As I discovered this morning the problem was letting my boyfriend hold her. I can do it better on my own (not that I told him that) as I can restrain her and hold her head up better.

My main concern was combining the two antibiotics in one syringe so I only have to drench her once and not twice. The antibiotics are to given at the same time, so I don't think it would be a problem to combine them into one syringe. I was just wondering if anyone else had any better ideas.

When I have to give meds with a syringe, I keep a 50-50 mix of 100% pure apple juice and bottled water in the refrigerator.

I thicken the powder/liquids according to each horse's preference (I just pay bills around here

I had two that were on meds for quite awhile (at separate times). They both got to where they would stick their heads over the stall and grab the syringe with their tongue; all I had to dowas tip their heads up a little bit and push the plunger.

If the Red Chestnut guy see anyone else getting "the syringe", I have to pour some apple juice & water in it for him or he won't be quiet

I use a 50-50 mix because I have two horses that have metabolic issues. The 50-50 mix doesn't affect them for the short time they need to have meds shoved down their throats.

Hope this helps

I just draw up a little maple syrup into the syringe.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I'll give the apple juice a try,and the maple syrup (well the fake stuff-real maple syrup is too expensive).

I was thinking molassis (sp?) or corn syrup, but they're on the thick side.

We have had good luck giving the pill medications dry.
    What we do is grind the pills into a powder first (use a
    little spice/coffee grinder if you have to do this a lot).
    Then we take an ordinary syringe, usually a 20 cc or a
    35 cc size. Cut off the whole end where you would put
    the needle so you now have a hollow plastic tube with
    a flange on the upper end. Draw back the plunger and
    fill the tube with medication powder. Block the end with
    something such as margarine or peanut butter or other
    edible stiff paste. Use syringe like a wormer tube; place
    in side of mouth and depress plunger. Dry powder sticks
    to wet mouth and is difficult to spit out.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Karosel View Post
    I'll give the apple juice a try,and the maple syrup (well the fake stuff-real maple syrup is too expensive).

I was thinking molassis (sp?) or corn syrup, but they're on the thick side.

I've always had good luck with applesauce (the cheaper, thin stuff, not the thick, chunky stuff). The horses enjoy the taste and if you get it on your hands/arms/clothing, it will rinse right off with water, so it's easier to work with (and clean up after) than the perpetually-sticky molasses, Karo syrup, etc.

I use applesauce-loaded deworming syringes to train the horses to expect a treat and open their mouths when they see any sort of oral dose syringe approaching - it's a useful training trick.
    Home page: www.jessicajahiel.com
    Horse-Sense newsletter: www.horse-sense.org

When I had to give one of the polo ponies antibiotics 3x a day, I would crush up the 10 pills and put them in applesauce. I'd put it in a syringe and give it like wormer. She thought it was the best game ever.

I usually place those tablets in a 60 ml syringe, and fill with COLD water at the rate of 2ml/tab. Shake quickly.

Hot water I've found make them dissolve too fast into a lump.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Try grinding the pills in a coffee grinder along with a peppermint lifesaver and then mix the powder with a little applesauce--only enough to make a paste that you can "load" into the dose syringe and administer like a dewormer. The 60cc lamb feeding syringes work better than the injection syringes with the tip cut off. Works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie19 View Post
    Try grinding the pills in a coffee grinder along with a peppermint lifesaver and then mix the powder with a little applesauce--only enough to make a paste that you can "load" into the dose syringe and administer like a dewormer. The 60cc lamb feeding syringes work better than the injection syringes with the tip cut off. Works every time.
    Great idea
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

I have to give my horse the sulfa combo drugs for EPM. Tried the liquid first and was just losing too much- my horse refused to swallow it after a couple of weeks. I asked my vet to get the powdered form from another pharmacy. My horse is fed Safe Choice pellets. He eats it, but I know he secretly longs for sweet feed. I put a small scoop of sweet feed into a bucket and put in the scoop of powdered meds and toss it until the meds are nicely sticking to the sweet feed. Works like a charm! He's happy he is getting his "treat" and I am happy knowing he is ingesting all his meds.

(For the record, my horse is a hard keeper with no known metabolic issues, so the sweet feed is a non-issue for him).
    Last edited by ex-racer owner; Nov. 13, 2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: missed the second "o" in too

Default LARGE NOSE SYRINGE ... APPLESAUCE IN FRONT AND IN BACK OF CRUSHED PILLS W/APPLESAUCE

YES, LARGE NOSE SYRINGE FOR SQUIRTING IN BACK OF MOUTH LIKE PASTE WORMER..

LOAD SYRINGE WITH PLAIN APPLESAUCE ... THEN MIXTURE OF CRUSHED PILLS AND A BIT OF APPLESAUCE.. THEN FINISH LOADING THE SYRINGE WITH MORE APPLESAUCE ....

THIS ENABLES ONE TO MAKE SURE ALL THE MIXTURE GOES IN THE HORSE ```

MAKE ALL THREE FOR THE DAY AND KEEP IN REFRIGERATOR ... I USE EMPTY COFEEMATE CANNISTERS .. SYRINGES FIT PERFECTLY AND THEY ARE PROTECTED AND DO NOT FALL OVER OR SPILL... ONE SYRINGE PER CANISTER...
    GOOD LUCK
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"