The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thank you for sharing all of this. You probably have saved someone's life today by doing this.

And I recently had a colonoscopy. I put it off for eight years (they try to do it at 50 the first time). It wasn't pleasant, it wasn't fun, but since I had no polyps I don't have to go back for ten years. Peace of mind is worth it. And for those who are worried about putting someone else out by having to be picked up-get over it. My boss picked me up (and I picked her up for her procedure after that) so you can trade rides, or many people just offered to pick me up. I know we all hate to put people out, but people are glad to do this if you just ask.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Have you had any problems strolling across a Breezy Meadow since you've had AC??

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyinBey++ View Post
    I'm a 3 year survivor. Ask me anything! I promise I won't find it rude and feel free to use Beavis & Butthead humor. I did and I wouldn't have gotten through treatment without it
    Nice thread, thanks.

So how a gung-ho young MD decide to become a proctologist? Is the hazard pay just awesome?

And wasn't Ronald Reagan a spokesman for colonoscopies? The dude did have one done while in office, IIRC. There was, of course, media talk about who was in charge while the guy was under anaethesia. Now way to not have his a$$ made famous, so it was just as well that he did those PSAs, eh?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Congrats for being a survivor, and thanks for sharing this info. An old associate of mine died from this..She was quite a bit older, and they missed the diagnosis for several which of course did not help...The anal area is something very rarely discussed and problems with it are often hidden by those who experience problems. I am glad you got the proper diagnosis and have lived to inform others about this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 2WBs1TB View Post
    Have you had any problems strolling across a Breezy Meadow since you've had AC?
    I tried to flounce once, but I didn't succeed very well.

So how a gung-ho young MD decide to become a proctologist? Is the hazard pay just awesome?
    LOL! I have no idea, but I have wondered just what it was about the colon that was the deciding factor in the specialty.

I don't remember Reagan having one. I wonder if today he'd swallow the camera version so he could stay alert and working?

The anal area is something very rarely discussed and problems with it are often hidden by those who experience problems.
    That's for sure. Our culture is awfully repressed when it comes to anything to do with the anus. Shortly after Farrah died, I was posting on a thread under a news story. Some wiseacre decided that Farrah must have had some horrible sex habits to get anal cancer. I politely informed him that to continue his line of thinking, breast cancer would have the same sexual cause and he might want to get checked for brain cancer for after having such depraved thoughts. Seriously dude.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd be online talking about my crispy-fried tuckus in (at the time) vivid detail to complete strangers
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

I dated a proctologist for a short period of time, and I asked him why the HECK he chose that field. He said that it was incredibly intresting to him. He didnt find it gross/weird/strange in any way. He saw it as medical only and claimed not to have a preference between a patient that is a hot girl or an obese old man. He said to him, it's just a butt hole. Plain and simple.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I'm glad to hear you are doing so well I was honored that you felt you could share your experience on the other board as it was happening. I am also impressed that you can now share w/more as you will be saving some lives.

Bells, I was so grateful that I could share/vent on TOB. That really saved my sanity.

I honestly hope I don't save a life but ONLY because I hope no one here ever has to go through what I did. Ya know?

Maybe this is a really practical question but if I read the previous statements correctly you have been left with so much pain/sensitivity that any touch to that part of your body is impossible . Do you still ride ? How has your involvement with horses changed since diagnoses and cure ?
    Thank you for being so brave about sharing your experience and cheers to living a long wonderful life.

So I'm 35 and I have IBS. I also have polyps on my pancreas that were examined several years ago that turned out to be benign. Fast-forward to now: new(er) doc and issues with IBS and a horse that recently had to be put down because he supposedly had IBS but it turned out to be cancer. And on Dec. 6 I will be having my first-ever colonoscopy. And since my Doc is out on leave, I had to deal with a PA with the personality of broccoli whose only concern was if I had had my flu shot - not about the symptoms I came in for.

I had to push the colonoscopy thing - not because I think it will be such a beautiful, wonderful event that I'm looking forward to, but because I'm worried. Because I think I have issues that should be looked at more closely. Polyps on my pancreas? Yeah - someone needed to be keeping a better eye on those little buggers besides me. And the dumb-ass PA should NOT have rolled his eyes when I mentioned that a HORSE got me thinking about this. It IS rational!

So thank you OP! Honestly, I hope you actually scared some people into talking to their docs about some stuff they may not otherwise mention. It could save someone's life! And while I may not enjoy the events of Dec. 6, I sure as heck am glad that I'm doing it!
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLIGORY View Post
    Maybe this is a really practical question but if I read the previous statements correctly you have been left with so much pain/sensitivity that any touch to that part of your body is impossible . Do you still ride ? How has your involvement with horses changed since diagnoses and cure ?
    Thank you for being so brave about sharing your experience and cheers to living a long wonderful life.
    It's the delicate bits and pieces that have issues with touch. Normal, every day cleaning is possible (it took me over 2 years to be able to use even the most gentle soap. Conditioner was my friend!) but any, um... amorous attention is decidedly unwelcome.

Riding is possible. The problem I have is that the muscles in my groin have become extremely tight. It's pain beyond saddle sore. My doctor encouraged me to ride for my own equine therapy, but I haven't ridden in over a year. I intend to change that this weekend! I keep trying to "ride" my balance ball to prepare me for the stretching that'll happen when I get on Mr. Widebody, the Bey himself. Ouch...

I'm ashamed to say (knowing COTH) that I have been less than attentive to my horses for the last 5 years. There were extenuating circumstances with moving twice, plus being sick and healing and the latest is my anxiety problem. They are still well-behaved in hand and around people but have become buddy sour. I haven't felt up to the work of breaking that habit.

FARGONE, good for you for pushing the issue! Your thought process is extremely rational. PA Broccolihead can just shove his crappy attitude up his arse. I hope they find nothing of interest on Dec 6

Fargone, I don't remember anything about my colonoscopy. The cocktail put me out totally. However, the day BEFORE is the day I won't forget. Yuck!! Don't be far from a toilet, that's all I can tell you.

HFB, thank you for sharing your experience as personal as it is.

The colonoscopy was not that bad, good drugs. The day before was inconvient but no big deal. I would tell anyone not to worry about it.
    I am a 4 year survivor. I feel for you HFBEy. Thanks for telling your story.

Eeek. I'm an HPV...uh...survivor? Not sure what it's called, had it, kicked. Had to have two colposcopies because I refused the LEEP after the first one, have had normal PAPs since. Was very stressful at the time, oh the horrible weird nightmares of *things* growing on my cervix, talking about waking up in a sweat!

Buuuuut, it do make me concerned.

Where did the bleeding come from? Internal or external? I am, ahem, thin-skinned, so I'm curious.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Jenners- I had the LEEP also. I am lucky that my gyno is the most fabulous woman that ever lived, but I still wouldn't wish all that on any given terrorist
    I've been HPV-free for over a year and now my gyno says I have a "lovely" cervix...Gee...that's what I've always wanted. Look for a pic of my cervix on the next cover of People's Most Beautiful..

Anyhoo, I think anyone with IBS/IBD should be extra vigilent and also those who have had HPV. In my case, I have had or do have both. Which is why I'm pushing the colonoscopy. Plus you get the added bonus of having your colon come out squeaky clean and spic and span! (Yeah - so I'm not looking forward to that part but if I don't keep poking fun I'll go crazy.)

Keep the info comin'! I think this is fabulous, because if you can't talk about your yahoo to your friends on COTH, who can you talk to???
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Eeek. I'm an HPV...uh...survivor? Not sure what it's called, had it, kicked. Had to have two colposcopies because I refused the LEEP after the first one, have had normal PAPs since. Was very stressful at the time, oh the horrible weird nightmares of *things* growing on my cervix, talking about waking up in a sweat!

Buuuuut, it do make me concerned.

Where did the bleeding come from? Internal or external? I am, ahem, thin-skinned, so I'm curious.
    I don't really like saying I'm a cancer survivor. It makes me feel victimized and that's crap (<= potty humor). I usually say, "I had cancer" like it was just another cold.

The bleeding was from the tumor itself, so it was internal. I'd see occasional streaks on the TP.

Keep the info comin'! I think this is fabulous, because if you can't talk about your yahoo to your friends on COTH, who can you talk to???
    I think it's a perfect opportunity to exchange info without the embarrassment of looking someone in the eye while discussing things of an extremely personal nature.

OK. Cheap toilet paper does me in, definitely external. Phew.

Yeah, the LEEP scared me. Didn't help my diagnosis came during divorce and starting the police academy, so I did my ostrich routine and ignored it best I could. I told the docs that I could NOT smell like a friggin high school chem lab after a colpo during that time. I guess my health was more important to them, go fig, but they spelled out some doom and gloom that really wigged me out.

The survivor thing wasn't directed at you Bey!! I wasn't sure what to call it when you've had HPV and now don't. I had the no-warts-cervical-cancer strain, sooooo... The normal PAPs are a relief to me.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I know it wasn't I thought I'd throw out there how I think of cancer and failed to finish the thought that, "This might help you describe how you kicked HPV"

Cheap TP is also the bane of my existence. I've become good at knowing how much I poo and how the consistency has changed. Hell, I do this for horses, why not ME?! So I know that when I eat tomatoes, I'm going to have an unhappy trip to the bathroom, or when I eat too much fiber it'll be many trips.

I've discovered that after my 3rd trip, I can almost bet on seeing blood. I do not report this because it's obviously situational AND not streaky.

OK, I really need to stop typing on the microwave and peel the taters...

hi bey,
    your story is scary, but your attitude and courage is amazing. i'm still seeing blood here and there, will see a doctor after the holidays.
    i've had the ibs, hpv and the apocrine tumor in the past 25 years, so i guess i'd better take it all seriously. damn.

SIDEBAR

Olympus Medical Systems ( yes the people who also make cameras)

have a colonoscope for mice

really

I asked a friend of mine who works for Olympus what the GoLYTELY protocol for mice is.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com