The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default my cat is weird

He likes to eat....a lot...I have him on 1/4 of a cup of food 2X a day. I feed him good quality food, he gets Taste of the Wild dry.

Well, I found him in the dog's food bowl yesterday, he did not eat much a few pieces, the dog gets ToTW dry too.

the dog looks over at the cat in the bowl, looks at me, looks back at the cat, looks at me and hurmphs.

anyway, Do you think that the cat eating dog food is bad for him? I don't think it should be a big deal, what do you think?

My cats looooove to get into the dog's dry food. It is verboten in my house, though--kitties are not permitted the dry stuff. I had to change around how I store the dogs food to keep the meows out of there!

It won't hurt them. Might make them fat! And you would never want to skip the cat food and just feed dog, as the nutritional requirements are slightly different.

Our kitties LOVE dog food. They get a piece of the dry stuff as a treat LOL

As Simkie said though, you can't feed it to the exclusion of cat food, as many dog foods (don't know about TOTW specifically) don't contain enough taurine. But as a treat? Absolutely fine. I have even been known to use it as a whole meal for the barn kitty when I have forgotten to refill her container with "real" food LOL

he gets his own food and I do not intend on not giving him his cat food. I was just surprised to see him in the bowl.

I am glad my cat is not the only one doing this.

I've owned lots of cats who ate dog food. I had a big neutered male named Big Friday who refused cat food. He'd hunker down with all the dogs (2 english setters and a german wirehaired pointer) and eat with them. He even slept with them and played with the neighbor's dogs.

I just took pictures of my big male Springer, Bug, sharing his food with BobbleHead the partially blind cat. She would rub against him and purr and eat some food. He'd shift around the bowl and wait for her to finish then eat more. Then she'd push him away and eat and he'd watch and when she was chewing he'd eat more. This is an unaltered male, sharing his food with a cat. *sigh* Silly animals.
    People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they're lost.---Dalai Lama

Is the dog free fed? My cat would be into any food left out (people, dog, or cat) so I have designated food times for my two. Both vacuum up their food immediately and I don't have a problem with either one getting into the other's food.

I don't think the dog food will hurt but it is extra unneeded calories.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Is the dog free fed? My cat would be into any food left out (people, dog, or cat) so I have designated food times for my two. Both vacuum up their food immediately and I don't have a problem with either one getting into the other's food.

I don't think the dog food will hurt but it is extra unneeded calories.

the dog is kind of free fed, he takes his time. they both get AM and PM feedings. the dog just takes a lot longer. Short less than 2 yr old attention span.

Mind you, there is still food in the cat's bowl when he chows down on the dog's food.

Default YOUR CAT IS NORMAL ``

YOUR CAT IS NORMAL ``` BE PROUD !!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"