The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question "Cutesy" Words You Love To Hate.

Do you like my new hAlter? I'm hoping it looks smashing for these OT days!

Anyways, am I the only one annoyed by "baby-talk" words?

Just a couple are Pone for pony and donk for donkey.

Who else is mildly annoyed and what words bug you?

Cheers, all!

"I Haz Kitteh", or variations of this. Yuck.

"Yepper," or worse, "Yeppers."

"Ginormous" has also started bugging me. What, "enormous" or "giant" didn't quite cover it?

Babe. My hubby's only character flaw is he watches virtually any and every reality show. That seems to be the word of choice for all those shows. I told him if he ever calls me a big blue ox I will not feel endeared!

Panties. I hate the word panties when used by advertisers. However, it's OK to discuss whether or not someone's panties are in a twist.

Tummy. I have a stomach; I have an abdomen, intestines, and (whichever) muscle group located in ventral side of me. I have not had a "tummy" or "tummy-ache" since I was about 3.

"Potty".

HATE IT! The girls at work ask their dogs if they need to go "potty". Applies to humans as well. Why use "potty" when you have to retrain your kid to another word when they are older..."bathroom"?

I hate 'hony'. It's either a pony or a horse, not both. There is a clear delineation (14.2HH). Yes, there are no divisions in the hunter world that really fit a small horse....but that does not make my 15.1HH mare a 'hony', nor does it make the 14.3HH mare I once owned a 'hony'. She is a horse, dag nabbit!

I also don't like calling young horses 'green beans'. No idea why, it just grates my ears for some reason.

I also dislike being called 'cute', in terms of looks especially. Cute is what you are when you are a small child. As a teen and adult, you are pretty, beautiful, glamorous, etc.

"Preggers" instead of pregnant
    "Kiddos" instead of kids

And totally a different topic, but I hate the way kids add extra letters to a word (usually in some electronic format) to make it MORE of that word...

E.g. "She is so skankyyyyy"
    "That totally blowssssss"

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Am I the only one who twitches at the word "Tween"? I HHHHHAAAAAATTTTTTTTEEEEEE it!

In writing, I hate the use of the word "prolly". I can barely type it in this post without twitching violently. It's PROBABLY folks!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Not really particular words, but I cannot stand people using "cute" or intentionally wrong spellings to make a point. A good example on this board is the AC4H thread on Off Course, where they spell the founder's name as Chri$ty or write AC$H intentionally. I think I complained about it there too. You see it all over though, psuedo-anarchists writing "AmeriKKKa" in comments on news sites, the charming moniker "Obungo" for our current president, etc. It just immediately removes any credibility the writer has in my eyes and lowers any discussion to an obnoxiously childish level.

Hony drives me nuts as well! For heaven's sake...it's either a horse or a pony!

People that refer to their horses as their ponies! It's 17 hands...it isn't a pony!

And saying your horse is "out of" Totilas (or any stallion)...come on, think about it...not possible!
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Sliders when referring to sandwiches. When did we stop chewing??

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by SendenHorse View Post
    "I Haz Kitteh", or variations of this. Yuck.
    well of course that one is annoying, it's grammatically incorrect.

Everyone knows the correct usage is "I can haz kitteh"

Redonk, redonk just grates on me for no good reason. But not as much as "irregardless". Whoa, double negative on the regardless, dude! Glad to see you do care... I think.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I hate when people say Hells Ya. Or when people call me Hun or sweetie.

Also when I hear someone use Oprah's Va jay jay word..grosses me out completely

not cutesy but drives me crazy. Heigth. It is Height. The other akin word is Width. They are two different words.
    I can stand slang and pop buzz words b/c they eventually go away. But they can be annoying with intonation and how a person uses them.
    Tu deviens responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as apprivoisé.
    You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed
    Le Petit Prince

I hate the word cutesy. ok?

I know a few people that pronounce the word excavator as 'escavater'. EDUCATED people. Drives me insane.

I also dislike the word panties, but don't mind the use of undies. Panties makes me cringe and squirm.

Tween is awful. So is teeny-bopper and kiddo. Kidlet is ok.

I have a friend that pronounces 'issue' and 'tissue' in a way I'm sure is probably correct - but it makes me squirm. Instead of 'i-shoo' and 'tish-oo' it sounds more like 'iss-eu' and tiss-eu'. The way he says nauseous also makes my skin crawl. Similar sound - naw-zee-us.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I despise "tummy" too. Ok if it's a little child saying it; not ok if it's an adult, for crying out loud! Especially when they're referring to a "baby in my tummy".

I actually hate "pony" when used for a horse. It's common on horse boards, including here. "My pony this, my pony that". It's 17 hands, it's nobody's freaking pony!

wait a minute, I always assumed a "hony" was a mispelled "hinny"?

"furkids" or "furbabies" infuriates me. A dignified, elderly dog or a proud mature cat is not anyone's baby.

Veggie, veggie, veggie. I cannot stand it. Even the Lush website uses it. Gah.

Ohhhhh -- I *loathe* the term "furbaby" as well. In addition to infantilizing a perfectly wonderful *dog," it kind of reminds me of Rosemary's Baby...