The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone been to Africa? Advice/Tips?

I'm planning my first trip to Africa (Uganda & Ethiopia) to work with a group of orphanages. I have zero idea of what to expect, other than what I've been able to Google so far. I'd love to hear and advice anyone might have on everything from finding the best flights, safety, or just overall experiences you've had. I'm SUPER excited!!!

We did a hunting safari several years ago in Namibia. Beautiful country.

Be prepared for long, cramped flights, long walks and waits in airports (including being cancelled and re-scheduled at the last minute), long line-ups for Customs and passports, and VERY expensive food at the airport ($9 for a small bottle of Coke in Amsterdam).

If there was some way I could teleport myself back to Namibia or afford a private jet, I would go again in a heartbeat.

Good luck on your trip.

Good for you. I was born in Uganda, but so many years ago my info is hardly relevant. Like any underdeveloped country you will find a certain culture shock, so you cannot judge things to be as as you know them. Animals for one.

Your organization will brief you on vaccinations and food advice. Don't eat from the local market as I did in Morocco and spent the next day very close the toilet.
    Stay with your group for safety reasons and be streetwise.

Lived in East Africa for 4 years, got back to the US in 2010. PM me if you want.

I used to live in Oman and travelled to Burundi and Tanzania in 2007. It was a wonderful experience, as travelling usually is.
    In Africa, as in some other places in the world, such as India, life moves at its own pace and you should practice having some flexibility and patience.

I recommend reading Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree bulletin board for tips and suggestions regarding your specific destination.

Do you have experience in travelling to developing countries?
    "One person's side effect is another person's desired effect." -The Vice Guide to Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I live in South Africa...love it . I have spent time at nurseries and an orphanage out here, but mostly have been at an amazing primary school. I'm going on a backpacking tour up to Nairobi next month. I'll send you a PM with my email so let me know if you have questions - my PMs are full and I'm apparently challenged/can't work out how to empty them! ugh
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey