The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default why is everything easier bareback?

Branching off from my previous thread about unlocking my arms and pulling, I've been working with my trainer on a longe line for the past few weeks. I have lost my muscle memory for sitting the canter on my horse, and coupled with the fact that we get into a pulling match which always ends up him winning and pulling me from my seat I was starting to really lose my confidence - I mean, who doesn't know how to sit the canter?! But the longe line lessons have been really helping and I can slowly but surely feel myself making progress. Up til this point I had been half seating on him but I need to be able to use both interchangably.

I rode bareback last night (which I do frequently just when I am feeling unmotivated to tack up ) and we jumped around a smal 2'3 course with no issues, no pulling, no tension. I realize that taking a way a saddle forces you to use your seat and body to adjust the stride and balance but man I wish I could replicate that feeling that i Had last night with my saddle. I know it will come in due time and with hard work and practice but it just gets so frustrating!!! Tell me I'm not the only one!
    "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
    www.useaiv.org

You're not. I ride bareback ALL The Time... Or I used to at least, there are not as many convenient places to mount bareback like there were before. I like to jump bareback, my canter bareback is better...

I find that one of my big things when I have stirrups is the way it changes my balance - I ride off my seat a lot bareback, whereas with a saddle if I just sit on my seatbones and let my legs swing like I'm bareback, this is not proper in any view of equitation.

Of my friends and I, the ones who ride in a saddle more often are better in a saddle, and the ones who ride bareback more often are better bareback riders than the saddle crowd tends to be. I have a friend who would rather go jump a 3ft fence bareback than in a saddle because she rides bareback so much.

It took me awhile (and a new saddle, I was always fighting the old one) to learn it but, I finally figured out that to get better at riding in a saddle, I have to ride in a saddle. Bareback gives me the seat that helps me stay on when my horse does something stupid and I lose my stirrups, but the only way my equitation will get better is to actually have the saddle, have the stirrups, and keep practicing.
    RIP Don - 3/28/2004-8/15/2012

yeah, like falling off.

Oh I LOVE riding bareback. But my favorite is in the saddle with no stirrups. I can get a really deep seat and it's just the best!

I think it's because you don't have to weight your heels to get deep in the saddle. Your leg wraps around the horse better. Those are things we need to work on in the saddle and it's not always easy. The base of your riding is what puts everything else into place.

I have been riding bareback the last few weeks because my wonderful saddle was taken apart for a squeak and put back together wonky... so it doen't fit my horses (cry) I am waiting a new panel...

Three days ago I jumped a 2 6" course bareback and I am STILL sore! It went well and was really fun but - sheesh it can work things you didn't know you still had.
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

Bareback is my favorite way to ride
    Let all thought leave your mind, feel your horse in rhythm's time. Let your horse's spirit flow, the dance begins when you let go~