The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default bilateral tubal ligation

I'm scheduled for a consult next month as I would like to have this procedure.

Has anyone here had this done? Did you have any problems with it and how was your recovery?

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

You may want to check this option out. My understanding is it can be done as an out-patient procedure at your regular OB.
    http://www.essure.com/

I was considering it for myself but (TMI alert) my periods have been extremely heavy since the birth of my second child 15 months ago, so I have elected to go with the Mirena IUD to reduce my periods AND provide almost fool-proof BC.

Good luck
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Thanks I have looked into that.

I had a tubal done in 2003. The procedure didn't take long (I had a spinal anesthetic so was awake through the entire process -- very interesting!) and was outpatient. Recovery was uneventful and I don't remember any real discomfort after a day or so (had some cramping but it was more annoying than anything).

My tubes were tied, cut, cauterized, and she removed 0.3 cm. She also put in an "extra" stitch on the uterus end. (I'd told her that any "results" would end up on her doorstep. )

If you're sure you don't want kids, then go for it.

Lorree
    Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom
    "Now, did you really mean that I should half-pass to the right whilst turning on the haunches to the left? Or was that just you farting?"

Had a tubal ligation -- cut and cauterized, not just clamped -- the same time I had my gallbladder out.
    I have never regretted it.

It was outpatient surgery and recovery was uneventful.
    I was riding in about a week.

Had mine done in 2004. I chose to be asleep during the procedure. Mine were also cut and cauterized. No regrets.

The procedure was the easy part it was the gas they filled me with that was the most painful. Had to stay laying down with my feet elevated. But it only lasted a few hours.

Had mine done on a Friday and was back to work on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Had a tubal ligation -- cut and cauterized.
    That's the kind of tubal I had as well. Procedure was uneventful. Recovery was pretty quick. The only problem I had was that I developed an allergic reaction to the band-aid adhesive, of all things, and I got weird sores and a bunch of skin sloughed off in those spots. My gyn said she'd never seen such a thing, so it's not common. And I didn't have to keep the teeny tiny incision covered for very long anyhow.

I'm really glad I had it done.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

What do those run cost wise? Does insurance cover any of it?
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

I had it done nearly 10 years ago now. Outpatient. I was fully put under. The only complication were the horrible cramps I had. When I got home, I crawled into bed for the rest of the day. No issues since, and I'm so glad I did it!

Quote Originally Posted by Synrgystyk View Post
    I had a tubal done in 2003. The procedure didn't take long (I had a spinal anesthetic so was awake through the entire process -- very interesting!) and was outpatient. Recovery was uneventful and I don't remember any real discomfort after a day or so (had some cramping but it was more annoying than anything).

My tubes were tied, cut, cauterized, and she removed 0.3 cm. She also put in an "extra" stitch on the uterus end. (I'd told her that any "results" would end up on her doorstep. )

If you're sure you don't want kids, then go for it.

Lorree
    Likewise. I didn't even have the bloating some have experienced (they inflate your abdomen in order to make some room for the laparoscope). Just some cramping and I was 100% the next day.

I only wish I'd had the forethought to ask him to yank out the uterus as long as he was in there. Stupid nuisance organ. (Yeah, I know, doctors do not generally agree to take organs out just because you don't like them. I still wish I'd asked).

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    What do those run cost wise? Does insurance cover any of it?
    I don't know what the cost is exactly (I've seen estimates from $1500-$6000???) but I did check with my insurance and they do cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by vtdobes View Post
    Thanks I have looked into that.
    Just curious why you elected to proceed with tubal (if you are willing to share )? Essure is something I'm still interested in and I like the non-surgical aspect of it. DH and I are 120% D.O.N.E having kidlets and I don't want an 'oops' when I'm 40. I'm having waaaay too much fun with my two beautiful-and-perfect babies, and riding my horse, and drinking (probably too much) wine, and eating sushi, and I'm fully down to my fighting weight, and all the rest that I don't want to have to give up again.

vasectomies are far more economical and effective as well. Also fewer side effect / risks

jussst saying

Quote Originally Posted by hoopoe View Post
    vasectomies are far more economical and effective as well. Also fewer side effect / risks

jussst saying

SNORT! I'm with ya.
    Can I tell you the rage I felt at my DH when he told me he was concerned "it might hurt".
    um, hello. I gained and lost 30 lbs twice, stopped all of my favorite activities for 5 months twice, had my abdomen ripped open twice, had bleeding raw nipples for months twice, and you are concerned about a day of pain? Ice your balls and take a vicodin, honey.

I had (have) no sympathy.

And yet, I"m the one with the IUD. Annoying.

Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopoe View Post

jussst saying
    It is MY decision not to have kids. I'm 38 and have never had any and NEVER want any (no offense to anyone but I can't stand them!). I don't think it is right to ask someone else to sterilize themselves over MY decision.

Oh, and he already has a son who is 19; basically my "step son" since he was 7 (I say basically only because we are not married...but might as well be!).

Quote Originally Posted by hey101 View Post
    Just curious why you elected to proceed with tubal (if you are willing to share )? Essure is something I'm still interested in and I like the non-surgical aspect of it. DH and I are 120% D.O.N.E having kidlets and I don't want an 'oops' when I'm 40. I'm having waaaay too much fun with my two beautiful-and-perfect babies, and riding my horse, and drinking (probably too much) wine, and eating sushi, and I'm fully down to my fighting weight, and all the rest that I don't want to have to give up again.
    I guess I feel more comfortable with the procedure and knowing it will work. I also don't want to wait 3 months for the Essure thingys to take hold and then have to take the test to make sure they did and chance having to have it redone if they didn't, etc, etc.

I am having the Essure and endometrial ablation done in January. Similar results to the Mirena IUD, but a) permanent and b) no hormones. I can't wait!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Quote Originally Posted by hey101 View Post
    SNORT! I'm with ya.
    Can I tell you the rage I felt at my DH when he told me he was concerned "it might hurt".
    Geez, I'd be irked by that, too. Funny how wussy the menfolks can be sometimes.

My husband actually volunteered to have a vasectomy when I told him I wanted my tubes tied, because it is less invasive and less expensive. However, I sort of insisted on having it done myself. Partially because like vtdobes I felt like I wanted to be responsible for my own reproductive control.

But on a more practical level, because I don't want any more children no matter what. I felt like if I died in some kind of freakish accident tomorrow, it would be conceivable that DH would remarry someone who wanted to have kids. He's fine with never having more children, but I am determined not to have more children.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland