The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default National Geographic Channel Presents "Knights of Mayhem"

Next Tuesday the National Geographic Channel presents a special on professional jousting - "Knights of Mayhem".

All real riding men will be watching this with their fair ladies next to them.

Video at link.

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/...of-mayhem.html
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

it sounded ok until the preview clip that made then all look like semi literate wrestlers arguing among themselves..

I think I'll pass...

Besides,I can see all that "man cry baby" stuff on Ice Road Truckers(or Gold Rush or Ax Men or Storage Wars or Auction Kings or Hardcore Pawn or Swamp Wars the lowest of the low...any Repo Show)

I'll be glad when that genre dies out completely.

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Bring on the metro men specials!
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

metro men don't bother me but it's the having to portray "non metro men" as arguing,knuckle dragging,semi literate cave men such that the viewing public some how understands the story line

I was fairly disappointed in the show "Harvest" after watching the one episode.

Grain harvesting (which we do) is not as it is presented on that show.When they decided to talk about the harvest head being clogged and they pulled out this dinner plate sized piece of rag weed.

My 13 yo child exclaimed "that's not even a REAL clog!!" considering that if we manage a clog they are about the size of a Shetland pony and require two sharp knives and a hay hook to jerk out of there and are as tight as a coal lump.

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

WOW- Aren't those the same breeds of horses that are used as NYC carriage horses? Just kidding- I KNOW they are the same breeds- Belgians, Shires, Percherons and their crosses.

Imagine how irate the Radical Animal Rights people will be when they see this. Gee, that's a great idea. Mike, I hope you won't mind if I go post this on a couple sites frequented by the anti-carriage horses RARAs.

Inagine their outrage: "OMG, they are forcing their horse slaves to face possible death and mutilation!!!!! Man the picket lines- me thinks we must hie ourselves off to nearest Ren/Fest, post haste.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post

Grain harvesting (which we do) is not as it is presented on that show.When they decided to talk about the harvest head being clogged and they pulled out this dinner plate sized piece of rag weed.

My 13 yo child exclaimed "that's not even a REAL clog!!" considering that if we manage a clog they are about the size of a Shetland pony and require two sharp knives and a hay hook to jerk out of there and are as tight as a coal lump.

Tamara
    You mean reality shows are not REAL????????????????? Tell me it ain't so, Tamara.

Mr. Matson: Two words re: Knights of Mayhem: BO GUS
    Last edited by mp; Nov. 11, 2011 at 05:56 PM.

"Reality" is one of the most misused words on TV.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Ugh, really? Bunch of nerds thinking they're tough by stating they'd happily knock their grandmothers off of a horse?

So much for chivalry.

Or clean tack.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

If Grandma suits up for a joust, she would be expected to knock her opponent off their mount or be knocked off herself. I am surprised to see no protection for the eyes,head of the horses used.

They didn't look all that authentic, but the Geico ads were hilarious (I don't get out much).

Dumb idea in 1211, dumb idea in 2011.

Thought I saw a horse laughing when a guy came off.

That really is real armor. Apparently there are places where this stuff is still being made. In Europe where history goes back so much farther, the reenactors don't have to content themselves with the American Civil War, the American Revolution or even the French and Indian War-- they can reenact historic battles from the bronze age if they choose.

I understand that Medieval battles are very popular as are battles of Roman conquest.There are several places on-line offering reproduction medieval armor, chain mail, Roman soldiers' gear and even Greek helmets and shields.

As for the Knights of Mayhem -Most apparently use what are called Portuguese bullfighting saddles. Those really do look a lot like drawings of some medieval jousting saddles. But then they go and spoil things by using bridles with nylon reins--NYLON, really.

There are several "troupes" of these traveling knights that crisscross the country performing at various Ren/Fests or Ren/Fairs. There are three such events held fairly near me- the Louisiana Ren/ Fest (every weekend in Nov) and the Acadian Ren/ Fest in the spring as well as one held over near Poplarville, MS. Form what I understand, this has been going on since the forst SCA organizations formed in the early 1970s.

I have been to the one in Hammond several times with my English Lit. classes, and I recognized some of those guys on the clip. The joust was always the boys' (and I suspect the girls') favorite thing about the Ren/ Fest-- never mind the guy who had perfected an impersonation of The Bard, himself or the various abbreviated live Shakespearian plays -- GIVE us the JOUST!

I'm not surprised that someone decided to make a TV show about them.

Does anyone know if "Knights of Mayhem" is where the folks for the Full Metal Jousting auditions wound up...or is Full Metal Jousting going to be a different show?

Two different shows. This one is about the professionals.

It turns out that just like any other equestrian sport, there are huge arguments in the jousting world (it's a small world, but it's there) about what is "the right way to do it." The Knights of Mayhem (based out of Utah) are in the high-testosterone smash-em-up camp, so if their armor (yes, it's real) doesn't look meticulously historically authentic, it's because it isn't; that isn't their priority. Other troops put more emphasis on historical accuracy, entertainment, or a variety of other priorities. KoM's priorities seem to be hitting hard (hence the bragging about injuries) and knocking people out of the saddle.

In history, jousting happened many different ways for many different reasons over centuries -- I suspect each different modern jousting style can find historic precedence for their own favorite method.

As for Full Metal Jousting, they're only just wrapping up the filming of that this month, so I don't think we'll see that on TV until spring or maybe next fall.

'plash

When I lived in Maryland, I boarded at a barn with jousters. I believe jousting is still the state sport but I could be wrong about that.
    All the guys looked the same- kind of like stereotypical bikers-big guys, ponytails, etc. I will say they were super nice, quiet, soft spoken.Walk softly and carry a big stick mentality I suppose. I enjoyed talking to them and they let me hop on their big guys all the time and play. Let's just say me+lance= disaster but their horses were well trained and very well taken care of.
    I remember that their armor was insane. It was hand made and cost upwards of 10k. Unlike these guys, their horses had a full set of armor as well and they were amazing to watch in their full dress. Very cool.
    These guys, not so much.

Meh..they don't bother me. Big talkers, they do that to ramp themselves up for what is coming, the same way football players talk smack.

FWIW, my husband has 3 suits of armor, 2 european and one Japanese. All 3 are handmade and beautiful.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Ow.

I think you would have better luck getting insurance as a professional bull rider.

And this show (Knights of Mayhem) really makes it pretty clear--"Full Metal Jousting" (with amateurs) is a REALLY BAD IDEA.

After watching the back-to-back episodes, I've decided full contact heavy jousting is INSANE.

IMO if professional jousting is going to go big time, they need to make their horses and attire more period like and provide more "entertainment" like in a "Knights Tale".

And their horses need to be groomed and shining.

I watched about fifteen minutes and turned it off. As usual, the mass media's "reality" mindset took hold and completely screwed it up.

What Newton Minnow said in 1961 was correct then and is still correct today.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams