The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Calling all Veterans

Come and stand/speak up so we can all thank you. As a dentist, I was in the Navy in the early 80's.

United States Naval Academy 1984 - 1988
    United States Navy 1988 - 1994
    United States Naval Reserve 1994 - 1996

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

US Army ROTC 1989-1991
    US Army Reserves 1991-2001
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

My dad is a veteran of the Korean War. In fact, his ship was torpedoed & he ended up bobbing up & down in the ocean hoping not to be shark bait before he was rescued.

So, since he & my mom are big-time foodies, I just sent him a 4-pack of "whale-size" soft-shell crabs in celebration of Veteran's Day. The Maryland company had a Veteran's Day discount of $11.11, & it was worth it to hear my dad's exclamations (they live by the shore on Long Island) that he's getting soft-shells next week.

Worth every single friggin penny I spent.

I am not a veteran, but I wanted to say "thank you!" Also, Wounded Warrior Foundation posted a list of businesses offering freebies and discounts to Veterans today (or if you're in the Acworth area, my husband would buy you lunch on his own )

On Veterans Day, people across the country show their support for our Armed Forces. Businesses show their love, too! Here's a list of some of the special deals available to veterans this year. Be sure to call ahead and make sure the business is participating in your area!

Restaurants

Abuelo’s Mexican Food - Abuelo’s offerings vary by region, be sure to call ahead to see what the discounts or freebies are included.

Applebees - All veterans and active duty military eat free from a limited menu at Applebee’s on Veterans Day.

Buca di Beppo Italian Restaurants - Special offers for vets on Veterans Day.

Chili’s — Veterans and active duty dine for free from a special limited six item menu on Veterans Day.

Golden Corral — Golden Corral Restaurants’ Military Appreciation Monday free dinner will be available on November 15, from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Military retirees, veterans, active duty, National Guard and Reserves are all welcome.

Denny’s – Friday, 11 November 2011. Selected Denny’s locations are offering a free Grand Slam Breakfast to all veterans.

Famous Daves – This BBQ restaurant offers different deals at different locations. You can see if your location is participating and call them for more details.

Hooters — All Veterans and active duty eat free. The free entrees must be selected from a special Veterans Day menu.

Krispy Kreme – All active-duty, retirees & veterans get a free doughnut on Veterans Day. Be sure to call ahead to verify your local Krispy Kreme is participating.

McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurants — Participating McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurants offer a complimentary entree to vets from a special menu on a space-available basis. Online reservations are highly recommended.

The Olive Garden- Free entrée. Offer good for veterans and active duty military, on Friday, November 11th during regular business hours. Chose from a special menu; all entrées include freshly baked garlic sticks and choice of soup or salad. Offer good in US and Canada, proof of service required.

Outback Steakhouse — Veterans and active-duty military get a complimentary Bloomin’ Onion and non-alcoholic beverage on Veterans Day.

UNO Chicago Grill — UNO is offering a Buy One Get One free offer to Service members or Veterans with a military or veteran I.D. or in uniform or with a photo of themselves in uniform. The Veterans Day BOGO offer includes a free entree or individual pizza, with the purchase of an entree or pizza of equal or greater value.

Spaghetti Warehouse- Once in a Lifetime Veteran’s Day Celebration. In honor of US military veterans and the unique once in a lifetime date: 11-11-11, Spaghetti Warehouse is offering lasagna or any original recipe spaghetti entree for only $0.11, with the purchase of a lasagne or any original recipe spaghetti entree at regular price. This offer is open to everyone, not just veterans. Download the coupon at their website.

Subway – Free Six Inch Sub, November 11, 2011. Select SUBWAY® Restaurants will offer a FREE six inch sub or flatbread to military veterans on Veteran’s Day. This offer is valid only on November 11, 2011 at participating local SUBWAY® restaurants, Military ID or proof of service required. Note: SUBWAY® Restaurants are franchises, so this offer may not be available everywhere. Please call ahead for participation and times.

Texas Roadhouse – Free meal from opening until 4pm. on Veterans Day. Call ahead to your local restaurant for more information.

T.G.I. Friday’s – Veterans and Service members Buy one get one free from Nov 11–14. Contact your nearest location for more details on their Veterans Day BOGO offer.

Tim Hortons – all US locations are offering a free donut to all veterans (check out the Star Spangled donut!).

Retail

Amazon.com – Free ―Veterans Day Honor MP3 album download. The album includes 12 songs by the bands and ensembles of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Big Lots – 10% off your entire purchase with valid military ID.

Cabela’s Outdoor Store – Offers their employee discount to all veterans, active-duty military and reserves, law enforcement, fire and EMS personnel November 11-12. Discounts vary from 5% to 50%, depending on the item.

Build-a-Bear Workshop – Members of the armed services including the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Reserve Officer Training Corps, will receive a 20% discount November 11-15 on any one transaction at Build-A-Bear Workshop.

The Dollar General — Veterans, Service members (Active, Guard, and Reserve), and their immediate families will receive a 10-percent discount with a Veterans Day coupon. The coupon may be found in store circular ads or by asking a sales associate.

Fashion Bug – 20% off all plus-size and misses clothing purchases with a copy of military ID or spouse’s military ID.

Home Depot — Offers a 10 percent discount to all Veterans during Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Independence Day. Lowe’s — All veterans receive the 10-percent discount on Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day and the Fourth of July. The offer is available in stores only and is limited to in-stock and special-order purchases of up to $5,000.

Lowes- All active, reserve, honorably discharged, retired military personnel and their immediate family members get a 10 percent discount on in-store U.S. purchases made during the Veterans Day holiday. The discount is available Nov. 7 – Nov. 11. The discount is available on in-stock and special order purchases up to $5,000. To qualify, individuals must present a valid military ID or other proof of service. Excluded from the discount are sales via Lowes.com, previous sales, and purchases of services or gift cards. Like Home Depot, Lowes offers this discount daily to active duty military members, but not to veterans. However, they extend the offer to military veterans on military holidays. You can also find exclusive discounts at Lowe’s.com.

Sam’s Club — Sam’s will give away 36,000 collapsible Hugo Canes on Veterans Day to military veterans in need of mobility assistance. Sam’s Club will require membership for this offer, but proof of service may be necessary.

Seven-Eleven – Free small Slurpee on Friday, Nov. 11 from 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. Offer good to all current and former military members. ID or proof of service required.

Sports Clips Haircuts - The men’s hair salon chain is offering a free haircut to active military and veterans on Veterans Day.

Foot Locker — Veterans, Service members (Active, Guard, and Reserve), and their immediate families with a Foot Locker Veterans Advantage Card receive a 20 percent discount every day of the year. That offer is good both online and at any store location, including Foot Locker, Lady Foot Locker, Kids Foot Locker, Footaction and Champs Sports — even on sale items.

Free Park Admissions for Veterans Day

Anheuser-Busch Parks. Anheuser-Busch Parks offers Active Duty Service Members free admission for them and up to 3 dependents to any of their parks once a year. Throughout 2011, members of the military and as many as three direct dependents may enter SeaWorld, Busch Gardens or Sesame Place parks with a single-day complimentary admission. The Here’s to the Heroes program is only available to Any active duty, activated or drilling reservist, or National Guardsman. Eligible parks include: Adventure Island, Busch Gardens (Tampa Bay or Williamsburg), SeaWorld (Orlando, San Diego, or San Antonio), Sesame Place, and Water Country USA. Not valid at Discovery Cove and Aquatica. Christmas Town at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va. is not included as part of this program. For more information and to register, visit: Free admission summary, and ticket application.

Colonial Williamsburg Free Admission. Colonial Williamsburg offers free weekend-long admission tickets to active-duty military, reservists, retirees, veterans, and their immediate dependents from Friday, Nov. 11 through Sunday, Nov. 13th. The complimentary ticket includes admission to Colonial Williamsburg exhibition sites, art museums, and most daytime programs, as well as free parking and use of the shuttle bus system. Tickets are only available at on-site ticket sales locations. Tickets are also available to families of deployed service members. Tickets available on the following dates: Nov. 11-13.

Fee Free Day at National Parks. To honor America’s service men and women, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar announced that areas managed by the National Park Service would not charge entrance fees for Veteran’s Day weekend – November 11-13, 2011. Over 100 national Parks will be participating in this event.

Historic Jamestown – Free Admission. The National Park Service commemorates Veterans Day with Fee Free days at Historic Jamestown November 11-13. Free admission for everyone. See events calendar.

Knotts Berry Farm Military Tribute Days – Free Admission. Knott’s Berry Farm has an annual Military Tribute event in which they offer military members past and present by offering free park admission. This year the Military Tribute Days run from November 1 – 24 November (Thanksgiving Day). Veterans or current serving military personnel plus one guest get in FREE with proper ID presented at Knott’s turnstile (DD214, Veterans Administration Hospital ID or Active Military Service ID). Purchase up to six additional tickets for just $17 each.

Pro Football Hall of Fame – Free Admission. Annual Veterans Day Salute, Saturday, November 05, 2011, 09:00 AM – 05:00 PM. Any veteran or member of the armed forces and their spouse or a guest will be admitted free of charge to the Hall of Fame for a day-long recognition of US Military veterans. Members of the Blue and Gold Star Mothers will also be eligible for free admission. There will be a special ceremony beginning at 10:00 a.m. in the Hall of Fame’s NFL Films Theater.

San Jacinto Monument and Museum (La Porte, TX). November 7-13: Free admission to the theatre, Observation Floor, and (on November 12-13) the special exhibit to all veterans and their families.

Thanks to http://www.army.mil/ http://themilitarywallet.com/ http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/ http://tippnews.com/
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Not a Veteran but married to the military for 27 years.
    first 12 Navy
    Took a few years off between AD and Guard service.
    last 14 National Guard.
    Also a mom of a new member of the military ( if he can get through Boot Camp). He marks the 12 generation of my family in the military...

ETA: I encourage all who are ellegable even if you do not wish to be active in the group join the American leigon and the VFW's Auxiliaries. While loud voices do get heard on normal things in Veterans causes it is numbers that our law makers look at. The more numbers we have the more chances are that vital Veterans Bennies get passed or not cut. you dont have to be active in the group just join and lend your support that way. at least in the Auxiliaries I belong to the annual dues is 15$.. 15$ a year... is that to much for our veterans?
    Last edited by bumknees; Nov. 11, 2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: to add something
    Friend of bar .ka

I served US Army 1984 to 1993. Veteran of the Panama campaign, "Just Cause."

My husband served 24 years and retired from the Army. He served in the Gulf War.

We are both proud of our service.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by bumknees View Post
    ETA: I encourage all who are ellegable even if you do not wish to be active in the group join the American leigon and the VFW's Auxiliaries. While loud voices do get heard on normal things in Veterans causes it is numbers that our law makers look at. The more numbers we have the more chances are that vital Veterans Bennies get passed or not cut. you dont have to be active in the group just join and lend your support that way. at least in the Auxiliaries I belong to the annual dues is 15$.. 15$ a year... is that to much for our veterans?
    Would love to, but last time I looked at VFW, I'm not eligible (didn't serve 60 days in a "war zone"... last I checked I was at about 42 in Korea). Kind of a bummer.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I'm an Army vet, was in Viet Nam. I belonged to both the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars....dropped both of them.

The American Legion supported a big Clinton money man never in the military to be buried in Arlington. The VFW was getting too political in who they supported and why.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

I retired from the Navy in '95.

I never have served, but I want to thank all of you for it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    I'm an Army vet, was in Viet Nam. I belonged to both the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars....dropped both of them.

The American Legion supported a big Clinton money man never in the military to be buried in Arlington. The VFW was getting too political in who they supported and why.
    Yes Trak. PAC did support some questionable politions which is why the VFW no longer has PAC. I am not going to attempt to hange your mind as you thought out your position and it is best for you. But thank you for your prevous support. We lost many good Veterans/and spouses due to this action of PAC.
    Friend of bar .ka

Vet US Air Force, med tech. Daughter of step-dad who served as an officer in the very first unit as the Air Force (then Army Air Corps) split from the Army in WWII, granddaughter of Army soldier WWI, niece of Army soldier Korean War, step-sister Army soldier Vietnam Conflict, ex-wife Air Force soldier Desert Storm, sister to two brothers who served in the Navy, daughter to a Navy sailor Vietnam, and mother-in-law to a great son-in-law now training for the Navy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Life's a bleach and then you dye"
    "Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet." Roger Miller

I was active duty Navy from 1994-2001.

My husband has been active duty USN and currently USMC since 1996. Only a few more years until retirement!!

Daughter of career Air Force officer who was a WWII fighter pilot (flew THREE separate missions on D-Day alone!). He had two brothers and one sister who also served in WWII, and another brother who served in Germany during the Cold War.

My brother was also in the Air Force during the Vietnam War, my husband was in Army Reserves during the Vietnam War and afterwards, and we having various other family members who have served or are now serving - including a young Force Recon Marine who is now back after three tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Thanks to all who served.

1964-1968: NROTC; Graduated Marquette Univ.
    1968-1974: USN, Active Duty, Naval Aviator
    1974-1978: USNR, Naval Aviator
    1978-1981: USN, Active Duty, Naval Aviator
    1981-1991: USNR, Operator, LMD (Large Mahogany Desk)
    1991: Retired, USNR

G.

Thank you all for your service.

I have not served, but I am the sister, daughter, and granddaughter of people who did.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

US Marines - 1963 - 1988 - Silver Star, Legion of Merit, 3 Purple Hearts

One of the first women to sign up for ROTC in 1968.

Active Military for over 5 years stationed overseas.

I salute my fellow service members, veterans and their families.

God Bless America.

[quote=Guilherme;
    1981-1991: USNR, Operator, LMD (Large Mahogany Desk)
    G.[/quote]

^

Married for 25 years to an AF officer (now retired from AF but works elsewhere and also operates an LMD). Son heads to Ft Benning, GA for basic in May and hopes to be selected for Special Forces. We live 2 miles from a large AF base in NW Florida. My horses have been boarded on the base for 18 years and I spend the great majority of my time there. I love this area.