The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Default NYC Carriage horses

I just read somewhere there have been two more incidents with NYC Carriage horses collapsing since Charlie's death.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? If true, what happened?

I hate to start another thread, but I didn't want this to get lost in the other threads about Charlie.

I just wanted to know more details and I wasn't able to find much on a search.
    Dreaming in Color

Quote Originally Posted by drmgncolor View Post
    I just read somewhere there have been two more incidents with NYC Carriage horses collapsing since Charlie's death.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? If true, what happened?

I hate to start another thread, but I didn't want this to get lost in the other threads about Charlie.

I just wanted to know more details and I wasn't able to find much on a search.

One horse threw in a buck or two and got a bit tangled.
    The other one has me stumped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Yes, Alagirl...

There was Luke, on Friday November 4, who threw a buck, tripped (possibly on uneven pavement) and fell down... he laid still while his people untangled him and got him up safely and walked home to the barn. He was examined by a vet at the request of the ASPCA, who reported that he was bright, alert and responsive. Being as he was uninjured from his not-so-graceful tumble, he was cleared to return to work the next day. (A NY-CLASS supporter filmed Luke while he was lying in the street, and NY-CLASS deliberately spread the claim that this was "another collapse like Charlie"- which led people to think Luke died.)

There was a late night "spook" that some tourists reported to the Coalition to Ban Horse Drawn Carriages that the CBHDC is trying to make hay out of... Neither the horse, nor any people were injured.

This is media hysterics pumped up DELIBERATELY by the anti-carriage-horse groups who want these minor incidents (you can't have ANY incident without someone knowing in NYC... I don't see how anyone thinks the industry is hiding anything) displayed in the worst possible light.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Thanks, TDH, for clarification. I pretty much thought they were small incidents since I really couldn't find out much information.
    Dreaming in Color

If this person is really after the property - he has the money etc. using the ASPCA to obtain his goals - it's going to be a really tough road.
    If they don't have to release any information about Charlie's necropsy - that doesn't help and yes it would be wonderful if a lawyer would step up and help him/her.
    These RARA's are really nutjobs and not above attacking tourists riding in the cabs??
    Whose to say they aren't in cars provoking more of these "accidents".
    Or am I going too far towards the paranoid side??? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    If this person is really after the property - he has the money etc. using the ASPCA to obtain his goals - it's going to be a really tough road.
    If they don't have to release any information about Charlie's necropsy - that doesn't help and yes it would be wonderful if a lawyer would step up and help him/her.
    These RARA's are really nutjobs and not above attacking tourists riding in the cabs??
    Whose to say they aren't in cars provoking more of these "accidents".
    Or am I going too far towards the paranoid side??? LOL

Considering the scope of actions some of those kind of people engage in, I don't think one can be too paranoid about them.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Considering the scope of actions some of those kind of people engage in, I don't think one can be too paranoid about them.
    You are so right, Alagirl. Some of these people belong to some very militant animal rights groups. There is a very strong animal rights movement in NYC.

In the past anumal rights activists have bragged about driving nails into trees to intentionaly maim or even try to kill loggers legally harvesting timber because they are trying to "protect" wildlife.

They have sabotged legitimate research because it involved lab animal testing.

And my personal favorite- they have doused little old ladies old enough to be their grandmothers with paint because they were wearing fur.

They have very vocally and agressively (too agressively IMO) campaigned against the NYC carriage horses.

Here is a link to one of their sites where they post photos of protests, and list up-coming events.

http://nycanimalrights.com/NYC%20Ani...20Pictures.htm

After checking this out you WILL be in need of a bubble bath and probably several adult beverages.

I can't look at it tonight - maybe tomorrow - they're just amazing - they don't really care who they hurt.
    If they drive a nail into a tree, doesn't that kill the tree?? Not to mention hurting the logger??
    What was it someone said about flies and vinegar??? Jeez

Quote Originally Posted by bayou_bengal View Post
    You are so right, Alagirl. Some of these people belong to some very militant animal rights groups. There is a very strong animal rights movement in NYC.

In the past anumal rights activists have bragged about driving nails into trees to intentionaly maim or even try to kill loggers legally harvesting timber because they are trying to "protect" wildlife.

They have sabotged legitimate research because it involved lab animal testing.

And my personal favorite- they have doused little old ladies old enough to be their grandmothers with paint because they were wearing fur.

They have very vocally and agressively (too agressively IMO) campaigned against the NYC carriage horses.

Here is a link to one of their sites where they post photos of protests, and list up-coming events.

http://nycanimalrights.com/NYC%20Ani...20Pictures.htm

After checking this out you WILL be in need of a bubble bath and probably several adult beverages.

I can't look at it tonight - maybe tomorrow - they're just amazing - they don't really care who they hurt.
    If they drive a nail into a tree, doesn't that kill the tree?? Not to mention hurting the logger??
    What was it someone said about flies and vinegar??? Jeez
    Well, it depends on the nail they are using. It's not uncommon that trees in residential areas have nails in them from people putting up signs, clothes lines, forts and tree houses. You will probably not find any company willing to risk their equipment on such a tree. I had a crepe myrtle bush cut down recently, there were nails imbedded in the trunks, easily 4-6 inches long...put in there a long time ago.

However, since the loggers have caught onto the trick with the nails, the terrorists have since changed their MO to drill holes in the trunks and fill them with non metal material, like rocks. I think plenty of loggers got hurt by these actions, lost an arm or worse.

You can kill a tree by putting nails of different material in the tree, like one galvanized and one copper. eventually the electric current produced will turn the wood to mush I have been told.
    GNU Terry Prachett

On fun and more exciting news one of them is on the thread on COTHS FB page and apparently has now taken to insulting all of COTH , the racing industry and AQHA.

Alice Ruth So, even on COTH--the WSJ of horsey world--and even beyond the rough-and-tumble carriage driver contingency here--we have posts defending: "nose-to-tailpipe" existence; horse working in NYC gridlock on one of the hottest days of summer; casual nonchalance about bute; etc. I guess that the next thing I can expect is for people here to defend soring. It's good for me to reflect for a moment that the carriage horse industry is quite small nationally and that it is the racing industry and other ridiculous groups (AQHA, by encouraging reckless overbreeding) that feed the slaughter pipeline.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by hackinaround View Post
    On fun and more exciting news one of them is on the thread on COTHS FB page and apparently has now taken to insulting all of COTH , the racing industry and AQHA.

Alice Ruth So, even on COTH--the WSJ of horsey world--and even beyond the rough-and-tumble carriage driver contingency here--we have posts defending: "nose-to-tailpipe" existence; horse working in NYC gridlock on one of the hottest days of summer; casual nonchalance about bute; etc. I guess that the next thing I can expect is for people here to defend soring. It's good for me to reflect for a moment that the carriage horse industry is quite small nationally and that it is the racing industry and other ridiculous groups (AQHA, by encouraging reckless overbreeding) that feed the slaughter pipeline.
    WOW. what a nut job.

1. The horses can't work over 90 degrees outside.

2. It's not the national hereford registry. It's not like the AQHA is keeping records of birth weight and weaning weight and hanging weight. (Do they officially have an opinion on slaughter? I thought the last press release I saw they officially had no opinion, but it's been awhile and that may have changed).

Quote Originally Posted by smokygirl View Post
    WOW. what a nut job.

1. The horses can't work over 90 degrees outside.

2. It's not the national hereford registry. It's not like the AQHA is keeping records of birth weight and weaning weight and hanging weight. (Do they officially have an opinion on slaughter? I thought the last press release I saw they officially had no opinion, but it's been awhile and that may have changed).
    I don't think the RARA's care much about facts
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Alice Ruth never fails to prove her cluelessness. This is the sort of nut job the NYC carriage horse people have to deal with all the time. Now that she's discovered COTH on FB, I hope she continues to share her views so that people in other parts of the equine industry can see what may be coming their way.

If you think she is obnoxious on-line, imagine facing her and a bunch more like her IN PERSON screeching curses at you and your passengers while you are trying to do your job and make a living. Every time I watch one of their videos on Youtube, I thank God I am not a carriage driver in NYC.

I think the carriage drivers in NYC have very good self control. I envy their ability to keep cool (most of the time) under constant fire from Alice Ruth and her ilk.
    Last edited by bayou_bengal; Nov. 11, 2011 at 12:49 PM.

She was asked some pointed questions on COTH FB - she has not so far answered - I'm sure she doesn't know the answer. No I absolutely cannot imagine facing that with a straight face every day. Someone attacking the passengers?? Just trying to do a job??
    I don't understand being such a nutjob that you are actually willing to hurt innocent people over your beliefs either.
    I do understand wanting to save the environment but not hurting the logger - he's the one trying to do his job as well. That's not an easy job to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by bayou_bengal View Post
    If you think she is obnoxious on-line, imagine facing her and a bunch more like her IN PERSON screechingcurses at you and your passengers while you are trying to do your job and make a living. Every time I watch one of their videos on Youtube, I thank God I am not a carriage driver in NYC.

I think the carriage drivers in NYC have very good self control. I envy their ability to keep cool (most of the time) under constant fire from Alice Ruth and her ilk.

I really don't understand their "logic" either but them I am one of those unenlightened horse, dog and cat owners who will spend my last dime to see my animals taken care of to the best of my ability.

From what I can figure by reading their sites-- brain numbing job by the way- most of them think animals would be better off dead than having any interaction with people. They think all horses should be running free in some field - somewhere- and that if dogs and cats disappeared, it would be perfectly okay and better than having them "live in slavery" to humans.

The really hardcore RARAs are Vegans- with a capital "V" . They eat absolutely NO animal foods including egs, cheese and even honey- they think that taking honey to eat is stealing from the bees.

They don't wear or use anything that has any "animal products" in it including wool or silk clothing, or leather of any kind. They seem to prefer plastic or rubber shoes and products and rayon clothing (I guess they don't mind stealing from rubber trees)And I guess they think it is okay to wear an animal product item if it comes from dead dinosaurs (petrolium-based products)

I would not be surprised in Alice Ruth and her friend David just ignore the pointed questions and continue to post their anti-carriage, and now, anti- AQHA, anti- race horse and anti- show jumper rants.

Interesting ideas - sorry about the bees LOL

I don't understand being such a nutjob that you are actually willing to hurt innocent people over your beliefs either.
    I used to have the same problem and then it dawned on me one day that this very same problem is what starts wars. So in essence, even tho our military isn't involved in the NYC carriage horse issue, it is still a war of sorts. The sad thing is that fanatics scare me - there is nothing they wont stoop to in order to win their war - right or wrong, they have to win.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

You're right - that's a good way to explain it. I usually think "religion" tho but it does apply.
    Love the Dr. Phil quote - do you want to be right or do you want to be happy? If only it were that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    I used to have the same problem and then it dawned on me one day that this very same problem is what starts wars. So in essence, even tho our military isn't involved in the NYC carriage horse issue, it is still a war of sorts. The sad thing is that fanatics scare me - there is nothing they wont stoop to in order to win their war - right or wrong, they have to win.