The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default mattresses

What's your favorite mattress? Are the memory foam knockoffs of temur-pedic any good? Any suggestions welcomed. Unfortunately, I have an antique bed frame and my final decision may be based on what will fit.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Hands down: Sleep Number Bed by Select Comfort.

Best money we ever spent!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

We splurged on a real tempurpedic and it's priceless. I used to pop Advil like candy and spend too much on massage each month. That was on a high end mattress and later a faux-tempurpedic topper. Overnight on the new mattress I was amazingly better. I didn't notice how different it was until my massage place (a subscription-based place) called to say I hadn't been in months!

Another enthusiastic vote for Tempurpedic! We love ours and it is, I think, one model up from the very basic mattress (even though we bought it two years ago and they now have many more options.) Wouldn't trade it for anything.
    Our in-laws had a Select Comfort air mattress for about 3 years, then switched and went to a regular pillow top. Both my husband and myself sleep on Select Comforts once in a while in hotels and regardless of how firm/soft we make them, always wake up and feel like we've been beaten! (sore and achy.)
    You will hear good and bad about both. Only way to know is to try! Good luck in the search.

I have a Posturpedic, by Sealy I think. It's wonderful and is cheaper than Tempurpedic.

Love the memory foam mattress pads. They had them at the hotel in Lexington KY where I spent a few days this spring. The worst part was getting out of bed - you just didn't want to leave.

My son had one for his bed at school as well - probably a good 5-6" thick. Since he's graduated, it's now home here in his rarely-slept-in room.

Question: How do you cover them? The single sheets I've normally had for his bed don't stretch to cover both...

I love our Tempurpedic Temper-Cloud Supreme. This morning I texted my husband (who leaves for work two hours earlier than I do!) about how I didn't want to leave my cacoon!

I hate my tempurpedic

It is HOT, miserably so in the summer, even with the AC set on 67 and a ceiling fan. And you can't move to a cooler part of the bed because the mattress remembers where you were and wants you to go back to the same position.

Loved my water bed though
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

speaking of waterbeds...we're moving, and, since I have drain the bed, I figured it's about time to replace it (~20 years old).

Anyone have a new-fangled waterbed that can offer me a review on what is newish, and whether it lives up to its billing?

(Current is a plain reduced motion type.)
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

So - do any of you have pets sleeping on the bed, & how does that work out?

I'm in the market for a new mattress, but have both dogs & cats sleeping on the bed & can't figure out how either of these beds (Tempur or Sleep-Number) would work with pets who may have accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I hate my tempurpedic

It is HOT, miserably so in the summer, even with the AC set on 67 and a ceiling fan. And you can't move to a cooler part of the bed because the mattress remembers where you were and wants you to go back to the same position.

Loved my water bed though
    Is it the real tempurpedic? Is it old? The newer ones don't have this problem although some knock offs still do.

I love my Sleep Number!

My dogs sleeps on it sometimes but it's not a habit (only if BF is away). They are young enough not to have accidents but if they started then no more bed for them!

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    So - do any of you have pets sleeping on the bed, & how does that work out?

I'm in the market for a new mattress, but have both dogs & cats sleeping on the bed & can't figure out how either of these beds (Tempur or Sleep-Number) would work with pets who may have accidents.
    We do but our (knock on wood) don't have accidents on the bed. The store offered us a waterproof cover but we declined so can't vouch for it. I do love that I'm no longer woken up each time a dog jumps on or off the bed now! It's like the silly commercial with the lady jumping on the bed with the glass of wine next to her...we haven't tried that yet but we definitely don't feel the 70+ lb dogs moving around nearly as much as we used to.

If you are considering a Tempurpedic, make sure you get it somewhere where that offer the 30-day trial. They are not for everyone! My parents have one and loved it, and my chiro recommended it as well. If I hadn't slept on one at a hotel for a few nights, I might have spent the $$$$ to buy one, and it would have been a terrible mistake!

My back hurts at night (only at night, go figure). It has NEVER hurt so bad as it did trying to sleep on the Tempurpedic; I barely slept and had to sit up half the night because my back was spasming so badly lying on it. It seemed comfortable at first, but after maybe 4 hours of sleeping, the pain was unbearable.

A very firm conventional mattress with a pillow top has worked best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BLBGP View Post
    Is it the real tempurpedic? Is it old? The newer ones don't have this problem although some knock offs still do.
    Real, mid price range, IOW quite expensive but not as high as it could have been, maybe $4000, 2 1/2 years old.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Hands down: Sleep Number Bed by Select Comfort.

Best money we ever spent!
    This!

Totally agree.

I need a softer bed or my joints hurt. Hubby needs a firm (rock hard) bed or his back hurts. We got both.

The Tempers come with a special mattress protector that is like plastic on the bottom so no liquids permeate. We've had pee (animal), barf (human), melted popsicle (child), and water (husband) on it and never had it get onto the mattress... knock on wood.

I have a sterns and foster and while it is a great bed, and the price was awesome, I worked the guy down.

I would not buy one again. it does get saggy in the middle.

I had a beauty rest (the one where the other person cant feel you move) and I loved it!

if I had the $$ I would have gotten a Temprepedic

The bowling ball bed by Simmons, Euro topper. Purchased at Sleep Country for $900, Regular $1700!

I just got a new Sealy Posturepedic Cushion Firm last week. Let me just say, it is totally HEAVEN! I was doing the bed/couch/bed/couch mamba for the longest time because the old one sucked. Now I haven't gotten up once

I've tried some of the others mentioned and discovered a few I really didn't like. For me, the sleep number just did not do it. Or the foam toppers. I house sit a lot and have been doing a tour of mattresses lately So I knew what I didn't want to try. I got on this one at the store and it was just it. I did find the shopping experience kind of strange though, laying down on a bunch of beds in front of a total stranger. Maybe that's just me but if felt wierd.