The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Quarter Sheets

How many of you ride with quarter sheets in the winter? Checking Dover and Smartpak there is only a few brands available, which do you all recommend? Thanks

Custom ones:

Pegasus Equine or the Clothes Horse

I looked at a lot of the ready-made ones and couldn't find the right combination of features (like ties and reinforced stirrup pockets and things) and if I was going to pay for one, I wanted the "right" colours!

My other route for schooling and trails, is to "modify" an old cooler by cutting off the front panels, and using excess to patch any tears. This makes a very ugly quarter sheet, but if you're going through trees, or possibly going to just drop it in the middle of an area or something later, this is not a bad thing.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Thermatex. Wool to the horse, so it stays warm even when wet. Two layers of polypropylene woven for wicking, then an acrylic top quilted so nothing shifts. You can get one that fits behind the saddle, or one with a saddle cut out. Machine washable. Keeps your horse warm. When your horse begins to sweat, it really wicks away the moisture and your horse may be dry underneath because the sheet has already wicked away the moisture as it happens. If your horse really sweats during his work out, you may actually see beads of water on the top as Thermatex wicks that well. You can get them in custom colors, but navy, green and red are usually in stock at Horse Country.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I really want a quarter sheet, but unfortunately, I don't exactly need one If I were to get one, I would get the Rambo Newmarket. Both Dover and Smartpak have it. I have the matching cooler and I LOVE it.

http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/rambo-...x?cm_vc=Search
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

I JUST discovered Thermatex, I re-acquired a horse I sold, and he gets pretty chilly. I headed to the tack store to replace some items for him, and they had the lightweight Thermatex blankets in the brightest shade of Turquoise.

I use it like a cooler, and agree with the wicking. It actually works a little better in wicking off sweat without chilling the horse than polar fleece.

It's also extremely light.

I DON'T love the plastic squeeze-clip buckles, but on a quarter sheet that wouldn't matter as much
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

I ride with a quarter sheet when it's cold. I have a wool centaur one that I love!!! I bought a fleece weatherbeeta one, but got my centaur one shortly after, so the weatherbeeta hasn't even made it out of the bag yet! I paid around $40 on sale for the centaur and the warmth/weight of the wool was well worth it.

I ordered a wool witney quarter sheet from White Rose Saddlery in England. Shipping wasnt bad and I got it quickly, and it was no more than the Rambo one that has the same stripe pattern. I absolutely love it! On top of the fact that no one has one, it stays in place, its the right weight, and its gorgeous wool. I use it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by lucyeq View Post
    I really want a quarter sheet, but unfortunately, I don't exactly need one
    same here!
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

I have the Rambo one and a custom wool one. I really like the Rambo and use it often. The one bonus of the custom one if that they have a really good cut out for your leg. Truly though the Rambos are inexpensive and really nice thick fleece for the money.

The Rambos are a good value, heavy fleece that stays in place during a workout, they fit well and wash well. I have others that don't drape quite right and I do not like a "flappy" feeling quarter sheet. I love wool, but seriously, you can't toss it in the wash like the fleece...

I LOVE my Rambo quarter sheet. http://horsetackco.com/horseware-ram...ter-sheet.html

I used it on my last endurance ride when it was 35F at the 8am start. I had forgotten my Under Armor Cold Gear to wear under my breeches and my legs stayed comfortable. We were actually both really hot under it about an hour in when we were in a valley out of the wind and it had warmed up to 40F. I ended up having to put it under my legs and roll it up.

I have one of Smartpak's coolers. It's nice quality, especially for the price, but it's not super heavy. I think the only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have the cutback sides and it's kind of long for my mare so there's a lot of fleece under my legs if I don't fold back the sides just so.

I'm thinking of getting a wool one or at least a thicker fleece one for this winter because the mare does not appreciate the cold weather one bit so the warmer her butt, the better she is. I'd use the Smartpak one for fall/spring and the warmer one for the dead of winter.

Quote Originally Posted by lucyeq View Post
    I really want a quarter sheet, but unfortunately, I don't exactly need one If I were to get one, I would get the Rambo Newmarket. Both Dover and Smartpak have it. I have the matching cooler and I LOVE it.

http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/rambo-...x?cm_vc=Search
    This is exactly what I have and love it! I use it all the time in the winter. It doesnt have the wicking capability as a wool cooler does, but then again I primarily use it to keep him warm while warming up and me warm while hacking out. I have a seperate cooler for the wicking part. Love it and fun color combinations as well!!

Now if only they would make a quarter sheet that would match their Team Ireland stable blanket for my Irish boy!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

I bought a quarter sheet once that was on sale for very little. I soon found out that the reason it was probably so cheap was because it turned into a flailing cape whenever we went faster than a walk or if the wind blew... My mare was none too thrilled!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Mine is from Saratoga Horseworks, and I love it. Unfortunately, their annual sale just ended, but their prices are still reasonable. I have the PolarTec 200 Riding Blanket, it's semi-custom because you can pick your own color combinations (though they don't have as many body colors as they used to, mine is purple). They do a really nice job on embroidery too. I've had mine for 2 years now and it still looks new, it washes up really nicely, and it stays in place since it's a heavier fleece.
    friend of bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    I bought a quarter sheet once that was on sale for very little. I soon found out that the reason it was probably so cheap was because it turned into a flailing cape whenever we went faster than a walk or if the wind blew... My mare was none too thrilled!
    Sew some weights on the corners and a cord to go under her tail. Should take care of the problem if you don't want to buy a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeHoney View Post
    The Rambos are a good value, heavy fleece that stays in place during a workout, they fit well and wash well. I have others that don't drape quite right and I do not like a "flappy" feeling quarter sheet. I love wool, but seriously, you can't toss it in the wash like the fleece...
    Okay, so maybe I'm just quarter sheet-challenged, but how do you get these things to stay in place? I've tried multiple sheets on multiple horses, and they all seem to slide backward.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

I have a really nice wool one from Saratoga Horseworks (I have the one with the cutout and velcro but I wish I had the plain one because I can't really wear it around my legs and ride anyway) that, unfortunately, my horse hates because she thinks it is heavy and annoying. We call it "the magic cape" and I tried to force her to wear it for about a week but got tired of riding through all the kicking out/acting up so it is now "the magic tack box warmer".

http://www.equusnow.com/prodview.asp?idProduct=2429

Check out the Curvon (maker of Baker products) custom quarter sheets. I love the Euro styling you can order (cut away by the leg).

They also come with Baker fabric under the withers for extra durability.

You can get fleece or wool.

I have this kind and I also have the kind that velcros in front of the saddle. I use the Curvon one the most on days I am not planning to remove the sheet during the ride. Use the other kind on warmer days I know I will be taking off sheet after warming up.

I have one from Saratoga Horseworks, and I love it! I wanted one that *didn't* have the saddle cutout, and needed a huge one to fit my huge horse. Plus, I could get it in my colors!