The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default USEA Announces Point Two as Official Air Jacket of USEA

http://useventing.com/media.php?sect...onsors&id=3069

Did they ever supply the data after 2 weeks?

Oh boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    http://useventing.com/media.php?sect...onsors&id=3069

Did they ever supply the data after 2 weeks?
    No. They never made good on their promise to post the methodology and data to back up their claims, nor did they respond when asked about it several times.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...light=air+vest
    Last edited by SevenDogs; Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:40 AM.

Wonder how much that cost.

I would hope with them sponsoring the USEA and being their number one air vest supplier now they would have the information readily available.

Why can't we get the info? Is it because there is none?

Can't any product become "official" if they pay a certain amt of $$$? Thinking of Coca Cola being the "official" drink of the U.S. Olympic Team and McDonald's being the official nourishing Olympic meal.

Is it just my beaten-down cynicism or does anyone else see the next thing coming as a push from Point Two to get USEA to require inflatable "safety" vests so their sales will skyrocket?

P2 is free to sponsor and market however they choose. It is good they are willing to chip in some cash to eventing.

However, the moment they use the association as justification of efficacy/safety then they will overstep the bounds of common sense.

What I wonder is how the association will be used to disseminate or gather incident information?

I think it would be very difficult to require these vests as it would be fairly easy to disprove some of the claims made with the existing data (horse and motorcycle). This conversation was made before and I believe it is recognized that requiring air vest would be almost impossible. Additionally, I think it would open the USEA to legal issues if a vest fails in a manner previously discussed (e.g. vest fails to release, locks a rider to a horse and is subsequently injured during a USEA recognized event).

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Nutrena is the official feed of the USEA.

How many competitive horse owners are likely to feed Nutrena because of the sponsorship?

P2 is ONLY the AIR jacket for the USEA. Now if the sponsorship involves a USEA push to have AIR jackets made mandatory, and P2 doesn't prove that these jackets help prevent injury with data, the USEA is being used.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

[QUOTE=RAyers;5949112
    Additionally, I think it would open the USEA to legal issues if a vest fails in a manner previously discussed (e.g. vest fails to release, locks a rider to a horse and is subsequently injured during a USEA recognized event).[/QUOTE]

This is the argument that was made when helmets meeting a certain standard were made mandatory. I also hear this about seat belts!

Damn lawyers ......

I'm looking forward to the egregious 'advertorial' shout-outs to PointTwo in future USEA editorial and promotional material.

That sort of thing is a definite no-no for a 501c3 but the USEA has, at least in the past, shown a lack of regard for these rules.

PointTwo is focused on selling air vests, not making eventing safer, and I wouldn't hold out on getting any answers from that previous thread. The P2 rep over-spoke and has probably been warned and relegated back to the sales booth.

Quote Originally Posted by flutie1 View Post
    This is the argument that was made when helmets meeting a certain standard were made mandatory. I also hear this about seat belts!

Damn lawyers ......
    And sadly, there still are lawsuits for each of those.

Remember, scientists (at least the good/ethical ones) must look at the facts and then come to conclusions. Lawyers come to the conclusions and then look at the facts that support that conclusion for their client.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    Lawyers come to the conclusions and then look at the facts that support that conclusion for their client.

Umm...no. That is not what Lawyers do. Maybe that is what the media does...

Basically, I believe they are just sponsors. It is good for companies who earn their income from participants in our sport to give some support for our sport. I don't have a problem with it and do take a look at products of sponsors. Whether I buy depends on the product....which is what most sponsors assume.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    I'm looking forward to the egregious 'advertorial' shout-outs to PointTwo in future USEA editorial and promotional material.

That sort of thing is a definite no-no for a 501c3 but the USEA has, at least in the past, shown a lack of regard for these rules.
    JER - if you've got specific instances, please email or PM me with them. I know that Jo and USEA (and their counsel ) are very attuned to 501(c)(3) issues and complying with the appropriate guidelines and rules.

Also, on Reed's point above, don't forget that the eventing rules are USEF rules, not USEA.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    JER - if you've got specific instances, please email or PM me with them. I know that Jo and USEA (and their counsel ) are very attuned to 501(c)(3) issues and complying with the appropriate guidelines and rules.
    Over the years, I've sent a number of emails to the USEA with the specifics. A couple of years ago, I was especially concerned with product mentions in the USEA blog and the publication of marketing press releases as USEA editorial without identifying the text as a commercial press release. (The fish-oil-product era was especially embarrassing.) The USEA did eventually remedy that situation.

Emily Daily came on the BB to talk about it on at least one occasion as I'd turned to public discussion after getting no response from the USEA. Now marketing materials are identified as such with appropriate attribution of authorship.

Moreover, P2 is very aggressive with their marketing and have reportedly pressured media outlets in the UK for favorable editorial mentions as well as into banning horse forum participants who shared first-hand experiences with P2 staff. If you don't believe me, go ask kerilli about it.

I understand the need for sponsors but frankly, the advertorial line-blurring cheapens the mission of the USEA. I hope the USEA can keep its focus and integrity while accepting Point Two as a sponsor.

I just don't want to see that they become mandatory over the tipps and the other vest out there. I can't afford one!
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Can't any product become "official" if they pay a certain amt of $$$? Thinking of Coca Cola being the "official" drink of the U.S. Olympic Team and McDonald's being the official nourishing Olympic meal.
    yes, but Coke and McDonald's only have the potential to kill you slowly and discreetly.

David O'Connor was quoted recently saying he thought air vests would be mandatory within a few years. I think it was at the USEF convention.

I seriously doubt they will be able to do that without a significant backlash due to costs and almost no data showing efficacy in injury reduction. At least with the standard vest, there are numerous providers at many different cost levels and there is data from other disciplines that can show actual injury rate reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneva View Post
    David O'Connor was quoted recently saying he thought air vests would be mandatory within a few years. I think it was at the USEF convention.
    Did he say this before or after Mandiba's accident at Badminton?