The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default shipping woes.....

I have been bumped off two trucks bound for wellington in the last two weeks...both high end, well respected shippers....I pay my bills on time...send one horse and two trunks....I am trying not to take it personally or mention the shppers...but has anyone else had this problem???
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Yes, with both commercial shippers, and "friends". It is whats kind of driving my decision of possibly purchasing my own. You'd think by being the customer the shipping companies would be all for getting you on their trailers, but its not always the case...

Did the trucks actually go without you? Or did they not have a big enough load to go at all? Or consolidate two loads into one?

I can imagine the shippers might have more trouble organizing a load these days, since many people might delay their departure or change their plans to save some money.

I've been bumped due to a farm with horses on the rig having an extra horse going at the last minute. Shippers like making one stop. I have my own trailer, but prefer commercial haulers for long distances.

My barn ships quite a few south and back again and uses the same few highly regarded shippers...but if they are shipping or receiving a single horse????? Can be a little unpredictable.

If the long time client big barn shipping big loads thousands of miles every year has a van for 9 head booked and wants to add another one somebody just bought and wants to send to WEF? They will fill that 10th slot with it for that best customer. Not that single requiring another stop, no matter who owns it.

And then the truck/trailer can break and become unavailable so the 10 horse goes instead of the 12 and that best customer goes to the head of the line for next 2 available.

Conversely, somebody booking 7 for a 10 horse can cancel last minute and they aren't sending that rig south with 3.

It's just not as cut and dried as shipping boxes. Your contract reflects that. Most do a great job even if you do need to be a bit flexible.

I used to haul my own, put 10k on my little rig one year-I'll let them do it thank you very much. Flats, breakdowns, road contruction delays, getting lost/missing your exits, local "revenue enhancement". Let them do it.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.