The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question The horse trailer saga continues...

I'm sure y'all are sick of hearing about horse trailers by now, and so I apologize for yet ANOTHER post about them.

But here's a new development/dilemma. My husband is owed a significant chunk of change from the USMC for moving expenses, and that is what we are funding our new trailer with. However, because Murphy's Law is the story of my life, the paperwork got "misplaced" and must be refiled, and we won't be getting said funds for several more weeks, past the time he was going to swing by the dealer and pick up the new trailer.

The question is this: My gelding is 15.1h. My 2H straight load trailer was 6'6" and he easily fit inside. The plan was to get a 7' trailer for more head room/comfort for him, but also so when I upgraded to a larger horse in a few years, we wouldn't have to upgrade trailers.

I have stumbled upon a very solid, good-condition used stock trailer that would work perfectly for what we're needing it for at the moment. And it's about $1800 less than what we were figuring on spending. But, it's only 6'6". Should I go ahead and buy this trailer (we can buy it outright now) or wait until the last minute (after we get funds in mid-Dec, moving Jan. 2nd) and hold out for a 7' trailer??

I promise, this is the last trailer thread I will post.

I personally wouldn't get anything shorter than 7' - mine is 7'10"! I have a 15.1 QH and 2 16.1 TBs

Hold out for what you want/need... if you settle, then you'll have to go through all this again.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

If a Jan 2 move was going to be affected by me owning a horse trailer, no way would I wait until a mid-Dec check from the govt was in my hot little hand. I have two son-in-laws in the Military and the govt does things in it's own way and if one signature is missing, the delay will happen.

A stock trailer can be resold pretty quickly. Since your horse has hauled in a 6'6" trailer in the past with no problem it wouldn't bother me at all. In the COTH world it is aghast but I have a friend who hauls her 17+ hand Clydesdale in a stock trailer, and I'm not even sure it's more than 6' tall because it's an old stock trailer. After 10 years of being hauled around in that trailer twice a week the gelding is non the worse for the wear.

Say no, hold out. I had a 6'6" trailer -- it's too short for most horses and turned mine into a problem loader. It will limit you in the future. 7' stock trailers are not hard to find nor are they expensive. Keep looking.

I would NEVER own a 6'6" trailer, to me they are suitable only for cattle (or I guess a 13hh pony).

My trailers have always been a min. of 7', but most are 7'4" tall.
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

Would never get a 6'6" trailer. Considered a 7', but decided on a 7'4".

I would hold out for a 7' minimum.

Also, you will have to title transfer/license the trailer and pay sales tax (at least you do here) and then if you sell to get what you really want, you have to do that all over again. So you do get dinged a bit, even if you sell the trailer for exactly what you paid...
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Dont get the 6'6 you will regret it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have Arabs and they are not big or heavy and I would not ever put then in a smaller trailer.

If you plan on getting a bigger horse in the future you need to hold out for a 7'6" height. Truthfully you can ship in a shorter trailer but I find that it's the loading & unloading that causes the real problems. One of my mares almost always hits the entrance of my 7'6" tall trailer. And you should see the difference in the loading clearance heights between the back & side openings of most 2+1's.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com