The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I lost my best friend today

Today I had to put my old, black dog to sleep. Grizz was about 12 years old, and was diagnosed with grade 5 lymphosarcoma a year and a half ago. He was given six weeks at that time.

After all that time, it finally got the better of him. He had started losing a lot of weight very quickly, and we discovered the cancer had gotten to his kidneys. Instead of letting him get very sick, we made the decision to put him down.

12 years ago, I picked up a tiny black puppy from the middle of the road. He had a horrid skin infection all over his face and ears, and the vet determined that the infection was the result of chemical burns of some kind. We weren't sure he'd survive. He had the massive infection to his face and ears, along with a massive flea and worm load. Grizz always was a fighter, and he thrived with good vet care and good food.

He proved to be one of the smartest dogs I've ever seen. We trained him in agility and obedience, and he was an extremely fast learner and would do anything for me if I just asked nicely. He never told me no, and was always up for a good time. He was always a talker, and I always claimed he was one thumb shy of being human.

He didn't like strange people or dogs too much, but if I told him it was ok, he'd accept whatever it was I was asking. He LOVED children though. Especially my niece. He loved her and whenever she was around, I got abandoned. He was my original velcro dog. Wherever I was, Grizz was right there with me. Except when Kait was around. Then, if I wanted to see my dog, I had to find my niece.

I'm going to miss him so much.

gone in body but never in spirit. Im very sorry for your loss. I lost my best friend September 6 of this year. Trust me, Grizz will find ways to remind you he's still with you. Sometimes the wind blows a certain way and it feels like how it used to feel cantering my lovely boy.

I'm very sorry for your loss. He sounds like a really cool guy

So very sorry for your loss. It is always hard even when you know that you are absolutely doing the right thing...Hugs to you..

Ahhh, Grizz. Probably one of the best names I've ever heard. And a poignant and heart-tugging eulogy-love story, really. The thread title got to me immediately, then I saw your name...
    Bravo for having the strength, the love, to make such a heartbreaking decision. I hope he finds his way back to you soon.

it never gets easy, I still hear my best friend's tags jingle.

Hugs to you. You did the right thing, better a day too soon than a week too late.

and remember, the quickest way to heal a broken heart is puppy breath.

Euthanasia takes away their pain and makes it ours .

I lost my big black dog almost two years ago to osteosarcoma. He was a throw-a-way puppy too - found wandering the streets. Police picked him up and brought him to the shelter. He was there for months waiting and waiting and waiting for someone to take him home. Best decision I ever made was when i adopted him .

So sorry for your loss - remember the good times and know that he isn't in pain anymore .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Im so sorry, he sounds like he was so well loved. You did the kindest thing for him.

Ugh...Im sorry...............hugs......

So sorry. He had a wonderful life with you.

Sorry. Hard as it is, he is better off now.
    That was a life well lived, thanks to your care.
    Hugs.

I lost one of mine last winter. He was older as well, thank heavens. I am now at the point where I can remember him and smile about how smart he was and some of the goofy things he did.

It sounds as though you gave him a wonderful life and made the loving, responsible decision to let him go peacefully. I don't think it gets better than that for our critters. Many {{{{{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}}}}} coming your way. When you are ready, I hope you will honor the love he gave you by sharing your heart with another baby who needs you.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your pal. I too picked up a black puppy from the side of the road and like your Grizz she was a fighter who was with me for the next 15 years. I lost her in January of 2010 and not a day goes by that I don't miss her still. There is never enough time to tell them how much you love them.

I read this article recently and thought it was beautiful. I hope it helps ease your hurt a little. Big hugs.

http://www.beaufortobserver.net/Arti...-Memories.html

So very sorry for your loss. It is never easy...even when you have a long time to prepare for the inevitable. Hope the good times flash back whenever you pass his favorite napping spot or "see" him in your yard.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

hugs
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope the memories of the love you shared with him can help ease your pain.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

So sorry.

More hugs.....and it sounds like he will be in good company with those that
    we COTHers have already sent over the Bridge.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

So sorry for your loss. I lost my best buddy last October to cancer. I was so sure I didn't want another dog anytime soon, but I so missed my dog going everywhere with me that I ended up with a puppy about a month after she died. I think my girl helped me choose the pup from the litter as I ended up with a sweet velcro girl with a wiggly butt and a sense of humor. As someone else posted puppy breath really can help.