The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where to send a saddle for new billets?

I have a Devoucoux Milady dressage saddle that I love, and happily it currently fits TWO of the horses I'm riding, so it's getting used quite a bit. It's a monoflap, and the billets are attached directly to the flap. The attachment is solid but the billets are a bit worn (saddle is older) and I like to keep billets in tip-top shape. They need replacing at some point--thinking about doing it this winter.

I want to send it somewhere that will do an OUTSTANDING job--any ideas?
    Click here before you buy.

Won't Devoucoux do it for you? Barring that, I would suggest Journeyman's in Middleburg.

You could call Claire at Clever With Leather in Versailles, Ky. Her number is 859-879-0075. She also has a website under the same name.
    I recently bought a Black Country Monoflap and was concerned about how hard it would be to replace the billets. She said it would be no trouble at all.
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

Quillins (of the halter fame) replaced the billets on my jump saddle a few years ago and did a super job. It wasn't a mono flap, though.

Claire at Clever with Leather,love her work.
    She re stuffed and put new billets on my older Passier,made it new again!
    Her prices are very reasonable,and the owner of Wise Choice Tack in Lexington always recommends her.
    She is also very nice.

If the billets are attached to the flap that's a pretty simple repair.

Our local shoe repair guy replaced a monoflap billet that is a strap that slings thru the tree, an older German jumping monoflap style. The sling is slightly elastic with the billets attached to it, a more complicated repair and he had to order the right material. I pd $60 for the repair and didn't have to ship it off. Surprisingly he knew exactly what he was looking at when he saw the saddle. And several people that saw it in the shop wanted to buy it.

(It broke 'while' DD was schooling xc, several fences later I noticed the girth hanging 6 inches below the horse in the video I was taking her balance was excellent! she did bank drops, a trakhener, and the water with no girth)
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

It does look like a simple fix, but the stitching is very elaborate and quite pretty, not to mention right there in front for all to see, so I want it to look like "new". I like Claire and have bought some stuff from her--good idea!
    Click here before you buy.