The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'm so glad we (Arizona) don't use daylight savings time - I ride in the morning before work because it's the coolest time of the day. If we had daylight savings time, I wouldn't be able to fit in two rides a morning in the summer!

I'm not sure why this thread got bumped, but I am thinking of the solar generator/light combination for winter. I don't need enough power to run a trailer's electricity 24/7, just about two hours of energy for riding under lights. I also don't need my arena brightly lit - the footing is good and I won't do cavaletti if they're not well lit, but otherwise just enough to tell where we're going and if cats run under our feet should work.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I'll be interested to see if anyone's been successful with some sort of solar lights. We have one spotlight for the riding arena where I board, but I don't really like riding with it. I find that the bright spot in one end of the arena leaves me less able to see in the darker areas.
    I hate losing my after work riding time. The extra time in the morning isn't enough to allow me to ride before work, so I end up riding on weekends only from November until March, or at least late February. Then, if you have bad weather on the weekend, you're just SOL.
    The extension of daylight savings time into November was done, I believe, for trick-or-treaters, so they could go out after school/work without being in total darkness. Of course, here in the Northeast, Halloween seems to be a doomed holiday, between last year's freak snowstorm and this year's Frankenstorm.

I'm in Europe but here we have to use daylights saving time too. For some reason, they decided Portugal should have the same time as England, even though we're closer to the rest of Europe. If I want to go riding on week days, when I arrive at the barn after work it'll be dark. The arena lights aren't very good either. And the outdoor arena has turned into a pool with all the rain lately. Meh, I want Spring back already!
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.