The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

being that I have to pop pills for the time being for deficiency, 15 minutes in the people toaster a week is not going to cancerify you.
    It brightens the mood and warms you up....
    Most tanning beds just zap you with highly carcinogenic UVA light; vitamin D is created in your skin when you are exposed to UVB light; tanning bed won't help at all with vitamin D deficiency and will increase the risk of cancer dramatically (yes, even at 15 minutes a week).
    The "mood" elevation effect from light occurs via full-spectrum light that goes through the eyes, not the skin, so your tanning bed won't work for that either (at least, I sincerely hope you aren't tanning your eyes).

get a nice bright full-spectrum bulb - install on lamp in bedroom -- plug into timer and have it switch on early -- another f-s bulb for lamp where you sit in evenings -- this will help immensely with the sunlight deficit problem
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Forget the solar powered lights. Get a generator. It's much cheaper.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

But...regardless of how we structure time keeping, the planet still tilts us away and toward the sun on our yearly orbit...and winter still limits the amount of daylight available to us for a few months at a time. The farther north, latitudinaly speaking, the fewer hours of daylight in winter. Those of us in the northern tier of states will "suffer" the most.

There's no point in whining about it, honestly, it just is. I guess one good thing about living in the land of perpetual gray and rain is the abundance of indoor rings!!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

So glad I am not alone. Everyone here complains about it, even those not into horses. The husband and I are going to try curling-as in the sport on ice-to help the winter pass by. I can only watch so much TV. It's frustrating bc right now we still have temps that would be decent to ride in.

When it's dark for morning and night chores I always think that a horse could be missing an eyeball and I wouldn't notice for days.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    Most tanning beds just zap you with highly carcinogenic UVA light; vitamin D is created in your skin when you are exposed to UVB light; tanning bed won't help at all with vitamin D deficiency and will increase the risk of cancer dramatically (yes, even at 15 minutes a week).
    The "mood" elevation effect from light occurs via full-spectrum light that goes through the eyes, not the skin, so your tanning bed won't work for that either (at least, I sincerely hope you aren't tanning your eyes).
    Amen. It's a highly concentrated form of cancer-causing UV rays, which dramatically increases the risk of mortal cancers. So much in the way of statistics now, given the amount of time tanning beds/booths have been in use. 75% increase in risk of a cancer that has a high mortality rate is significant.

Hey, I LOVE standard time! I believe the research that shows our natural biorhythms track standard time more closely - I'm sleeping so much better already.

There's increased incidence of heart attacks and other issues during the change, too, regardless of whether we are going on or off daylight time, though -- it's just plain added physiological stress to try to change your body's clock like that.

Although it is a bummer to get off work at 5:30 and find that sunset is already past!

Regardless, though, I wish we would just pick one time and stay with it, even if it is the "daylight" time. I really find it hard to adjust, for the most part, though I prefer the "fall back" time to the "spring forward."

I like it

I am on the road to work by 6:30 AM so driving in light that early is better than driving in the dark. I have lights for my arena (400w metal halide, no weenie solar crap for me ) and I rode last night when I got home. DH had my horse caught and in the hall when I got home. Yes

I do wish we'd stop with the savings nonsense, it's silly.

Haha, my BO and I were just talking about this tonight. I would much rather have the extra hour of daylight in the evening when I can enjoy it. It is dark out when I get to the barn now and since I am still rehabbing my horse's suspensories, we have to work. There are a few street light type lights around our outdoor arena, but it is by no means bright out there. My horse is actually getting sour in the arena, so I put my handy dandy headlamp over my helmet and we go out on trail. Okay, trail in this case is pretty much up the hill and back down around the perimeter of the fields, but we get out and it is about 20 minutes, if I add in the driveway, we can do about 30 minutes.

I so wish I could have second shift hours in my current job, but all the rest of the business world insists on daylight hours. I loved working 3-11:30 pm in the winter, well anytime of the year, but especially in the winter!

I believe the problem is more in our traditional working hours- someone explain to me why we our lives are structured such that we have to go sit indoors during daylight hours and then we have to try to do stuff outside after the sun goes down?

Default the days start getting longer in 6 weeks!

And the moon was so bright last night that I went on a trail ride. It was totally cool. We were casting shadows. . .

My dogs don't understand why dinner is late though.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by EmJ628 View Post
    on a related note, anyone have any recommendations for solar-powered arena lights?
    Uh, we are on Standard Time right now. Daylight Saving Time is between March and November.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Move to South Africa, where daylight savings time does not exist!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I didn't mind the switch until I had a kid. For some reason, my toddler didn't get the memo that he gets an "extra hour of sleep." Sigh.....

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

It's useless. It serves NO purpose and we need to just stop it.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

No time changing in Saskatchewan either, but they days are getting VERY short - sun starts rising around 8 and it is dark by 5:30. Pretty soon, just be 7 hours of daylight, and changing clocks around doesn't improve that at all.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    It's useless. It serves NO purpose and we need to just stop it.
    Daylight savings serves no purpose? So you are suggesting we stay on Standard time year round?
    So we would lose an extra hour of daylight on those lovely summer evenings? And instead waste away an hour of daylight as we sleep on summer mornings?

That's an odd take on things.

It appears a lot of people don't quite understand the whole concept of Daylight savings.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

I *get* the purpose of daylight savings time. However, extending it into November serves no purpose, or rather defeats its purpose. I would hazard that I use MORE electricity this time of year do to DST than without. The brainiacs who extended it well into fall failed to take into account that many folks are up at 5:30 am or earlier, so lights are needed in the morning hours.

So I too loathe DST, especially the first month & last month.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    I *get* the purpose of daylight savings time. However, extending it into November serves no purpose, or rather defeats its purpose. I would hazard that I use MORE electricity this time of year do to DST than without. The brainiacs who extended it well into fall failed to take into account that many folks are up at 5:30 am or earlier, so lights are needed in the morning hours.

So I too loathe DST, especially the first month & last month.
    Most people on this thread, if not all, are complaining about the hour they are going to "lose" in the evening. They seem to be totally fine with the darkness in the morning. If we stayed on DST year round, as most people seem to be advocating, then by Dec it would be dark until 8:30-9am in many places.
    Personally, like you, I'd rather have the hour of daylight in the morning for the winter months.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

Default Totally agree

For my winter dulls, I bought one of these: http://www.usa.philips.com/c/light-t...321_60/prd/en/