The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking I know size doesn't really matter, but...

I just ordered a blanket for The Naughty Pony, who isn't as hairy this year as he was last year (didn't get the timer for the lights installed last year before he started furring up).

I *KNOW*, deep in my heart of hearts, that there's almost the same amount of work involved in making a pony blanket as there is in making a horse blanket - shorter seams here & there - but attaching the binding, the straps, the buckles... you still have to do all that.

It just seems WRONG that a blanket for a 485 lb animal should cost almost as much as a blanket for a 1200 lb animal.

Ya know?

(The bright spot in the day came when I taped him while measuring for the blanket, and discovered that he's only about 485 now, vs. the 520 ish he was before he started spending the nights in Fat Boy Jail. He's only 10.2... doesn't really need to be > 500 lbs.)
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

I actually just ordered blankest for my ponies (15.0h, 14.3h and 13.3h) and the total was waaaay cheaper than my mom's orders for our retired guys (17.2h, 16.1h and 15.0h). In our care the opposite was true, the 66"-76" was way cheaper than the 80"-84" blankets.

Than again, I always order from sstack.com.... $60 for a winter blanket! I am a happy happy camper with that....

My Sis and BIL raise minis and I was looking at trun outs for them this weekend and I could not believe that it cost more for there little blankets then for my 17.3 hh guys turn out and to top it off the mini blanket was a cheep brand. I could cut up my big 86" and make 3 1/2 small ones.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

You know what is really funny - a foal blanket costs a lot more than a extra large dog blanket, but they are just about the same size and made of the same material... Every single one of our foals' blankets are actually extra large dog blankets!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Fat Boy Jail

Funny, my great dane wears a foal blanket from sstack.com. I think it was $24 or so. I'd love your source for xl dog blankets, since I'd like something more colorful.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

We have bought them from Jeffers and from JT International, but I do not think you can order to JT Int. unless you are a wholesaler.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013