The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Want to move a horse's tail in photo - free software?

I am pretty sure I want to use this photo of my dear filly born in March for our Christmas card this year.

I do wish her tail was not swishing and was covering her "lady business". How hard would it be for a photo editing newbie to fix this. Is there free software available?
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org

not that I know of, you would need photoshop. It would be pretty easy, but expensive to buy the program, so I would just pay a friend who has it to do it for you.

I have Photoshop and it's a pain, but I'm techie challenged anyway.

My new laptop has some sort of editing gizmos pre-installed where I can crop, blur and/or move things. It has Windows Premium 7. Very user friendly.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

GIMP is free.

HOWEVER, if it's a photo for sales/promotion I strongly suggest you get a professional to do it. It's not as simple as selecting a the tail and dragging it over. There is nothing worse then a hack photoshop job.

If it's just for your own pictures, there are tons of great tutorials on how to re-draw tails on deviant art. (or check google).

Looking at the photo, I would actually darken the area you don't want highlighted, and leave the tail where it is. If you're a total newbie you're not going to be able to do it seamlessly.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Can't see the pic from work, but:

I had pretty good luck erasing a sheet of plywood from a rock wall at Kells Priory in Ireland using PS CS2. That doesn't mean it was easy: I basically had to cut, copy, and paste rock wall from one place to another, use some pattern, replica, & history brush, and then seamlessly blend the edges. I think I spent 3 or 4 hours on it. But I REALLY wanted that shot :=) Adobe CS5 has some nifty tricks you could try.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

If you have a different photo taken at the same angle/same lighting with her tail down or less "swished", email them to me and I'll do it for you NC.

I can tell you from experience that you will have to crop her tail out of another picture and put it in this picture, and erase the current tail. The sun highlighting the edges of her tail will be nearly impossible to get rid of even if you do move it.

I'd prefer just darkening her lady bits to make it look, well, sexless than trying to move the tail. I think that tail, with the highlighting, actually adds a lot of whimsy and character to the photograph. Leave the tail, it's cute!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I looked at your photos (hope you don't mind!) Izzy is adorable! And there are some really hilarious shots!
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Oh.. and I don't think her lady bits are very obvious.... darkening it may work.... or use a different photo.... there are so many good ones
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

I can't see the pic at work either but Picnik is online and most of the stuff is free. There is a premium membership for more advanced stuff but it's $25/year which is so worth it.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I can tell you from experience that you will have to crop her tail out of another picture and put it in this picture, and erase the current tail. The sun highlighting the edges of her tail will be nearly impossible to get rid of even if you do move it.

I'd prefer just darkening her lady bits to make it look, well, sexless than trying to move the tail. I think that tail, with the highlighting, actually adds a lot of whimsy and character to the photograph. Leave the tail, it's cute!
    This.

As for software, use the Gimp.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

You can remove the sun-lite edges easily, but it's really not something a beginner can do.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Need You Now Equine

You can get a 30 day free trial of Adobe Photoshop from their site. No billing info needed--it just stops working after 30 days.

Agreed, though, that if you don't know what you're doing and have experience editing photos that you're better off paying someone who is experienced to do it for you. There is a learning curve and it's not really something you can pick up in an afternoon.

I wouldn't mess with the tail. Just darken up/blurr/feather out her hoo-ha (which I can't really see on your facebook photo anyway) and let it be.

The tail flick is cute and adds to the photo imo.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Just for fun and to take a 5 minute break!

What do you think of it : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=d6f757da14

Alibi - you need to adjust the lighting and use a small brush to add more wispy tail hairs.
    Need You Now Equine

It's definitely not as adorable as the original!

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    Alibi - you need to adjust the lighting and use a small brush to add more wispy tail hairs.
    I prefer the clone stamp for that, looks more 'real' than fine brush strokes.

The hardest part was the definition between the haunche/side of the filly and the grass/enlighted part. It is in fact a bit distorded but...LoL

And as I said...this was truly a 5 min fun task to do! It will gives an idea to JenRose of what it could look like!

Drawing the tail back on where the OP wants it to be will give the best result.
    You can make it look very realistic with practice.
    Need You Now Equine