The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Beagle behavior (Lucy the Beagle)

We had Rusty, our beagle x, who died in 2007. He was a "normal" dog.

Now we have Lucy, who appears to be a pure 13" beagle. DH and I are somewhat mystified:

Lucy will climb over the fence/gate, but not go anywhere.
    She snores. A LOT.
    She makes funny noises-think old man noises.
    She is a wet noodle who apparently loses all skeletal and muscle control when she is sleeping.
    She DOESN'T eat a lot.
    She completely ignores our cat--who is about her size--so that might be a deterrent.
    She is very clingy-but could be due to her being lost in the great outdoors until now.

We loff her, and hope the pound doesn't call back saying someone reported a missing beagle.

Beagle people, what else can we expect from Lucy?

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

My last female beagle was the world champion in flatulence and snoring. I remember my mother was dog sitting for me, and the next day told me that for all the snoring and farting that went on all night, she could have stayed married to her ex-husband.

Lucy may or may not scare you with her "hunting" voice, mine scared the crap out of me the first time she used it, I thought she was being killed in the back yard, she was just baying at a rabbit.

I'll have to think of more, but so far, your description of Lucy is typical beagle.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Yep, aside from the not eating a lot she sounds like a typical Beagle to me. Sometimes I don't know how I get any sleep mine snores so loud...

I am upset that I have to report Lucy has gone on another adventure. We hope she climbed the gate and is heading home to someone who loves her and misses her. The local shelter is already on alert if she should be brought in-I did manage to get a collar on her before she left.
    We only had her for 2 days and we really miss her. Safe travels, Lucy. :-(

That is the thing about a beagle. Once she got rested up she went hunting. Try looking for her and listening for that beagle bay.

Oh, I hope she is out hunting. That would make us feel a lot better! Seems I remember that beagles do like to explore.

Our puggle always uses her beagle half as an excuse to dive down the groundhog hole, or try to find the cats. At least she had the courtesy of looking guilty last night when I finally got her.

I'm sure she'll come back by dinner time.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
    My last female beagle was the world champion in flatulence and snoring.
    I needed that right now!

Lucy doesn't run off, chase cats, gavone food? You're sure she's a beagle? Maybe you should breed her...

Gotta love them beagles! In all varieties--life is never dul with them!

Quote Originally Posted by ManyDogs View Post
    I am upset that I have to report Lucy has gone on another adventure. We hope she climbed the gate and is heading home to someone who loves her and misses her. The local shelter is already on alert if she should be brought in-I did manage to get a collar on her before she left.
    We only had her for 2 days and we really miss her. Safe travels, Lucy. :-(
    shoulda finished the thread...so sorry to hear this. I hope she gets herself to a loving home-yours or her otherfamily...

Once that beagle nose kicks in, the brain function attention span short circuits. They are bred to hunt and most of them will any chance they get.

My two girls DO. NOT. go outside unless they have their tracking and electronic collars on and they are in my sight. They hunt rabbits like machines. Fortunately, they stay in their very beagle proof yard and I am very lucky for that.

I hope Lucy finds her way back to you or to her original owners. Jingles going out to her.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Lucy has gone walkabout. I hope she either returns to you, or to her former home.

Amazing how quickly they worm their way into your heart.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I hope you find her. I was going to post that they are escape artists and love to wander. And they can put down some tracks so check shelters in the next counties!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Any update on Lucy??
    I read your other post of how you came to have her, and now this post...makes you think the name "loosie" is perfect for her, lol

My fingers and toes are crossed hoping she comes back to you!!
    if you havent fallen off a horseā€¦.then you havent been ridin long enough

No Lucy. Yesterday and today as I drove home on our road I was calling Lucccccyyyyy but to no avail. :-( At least she has a collar on. Yes, Loosie will be her name spelling if she does come back.
    Our shelter lady knows us very well so I'm sure she'd call if Lucy/Loosie shows up there.
    On the other hand, I now know :-) that DH is OK with dog # 11 whoever it might be. LOL
    Thanks for all the support.
    I'm just sad.