The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best small hole hay net?

I was going to order from Smart pak but after reading the reviews and seeing that their small hole hay net only holds 2-3 flakes at a time( not enough for overnight IMO) I am searching for other ones, any suggestions?? I hate using a hay net ( I get covered in hay filling them and I am allergic to hay BIG TIME) so one that holds more would be awesome!!!

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

I ordered several from Chicks. They were inexpensive, large, well-made, and they come in purple (a nice plum shade ) What's NOT to love?
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ASB Stars View Post
    I ordered several from Chicks. They were inexpensive, large, well-made, and they come in purple (a nice plum shade ) What's NOT to love?
    oh my girls will love plum LOL!! thanks!

Default Hay nets and a possible helper

Quote Originally Posted by pm59 View Post
    I was going to order from Smart pak but after reading the reviews and seeing that their small hole hay net only holds 2-3 flakes at a time( not enough for overnight IMO) I am searching for other ones, any suggestions?? I hate using a hay net ( I get covered in hay filling them and I am allergic to hay BIG TIME) so one that holds more would be awesome!!!
    Schneiders and Dover both carry nice small-hole nets that will hold five or six flakes of tightly-packed alfalfa or three or four flakes of grass or grass mix. Horses can chew through them in time, but I have several that have been patched (by me, with nylon cord of roughly the same size) and are still in use after a couple of years.

Schneiders also has a gizmo called a "Stable hand" (I'm not sure of the manufacturer but it might be Dura-Tech, you could probably find it online) and that might help you with the haynet-stuffing problem. I feel your pain - I do best handling hay when I wear an anorak and gloves and safety glasses!
    Home page: www.jessicajahiel.com
    Horse-Sense newsletter: www.horse-sense.org

I have two different kinds from Dover (black, with a metal ring at the bottom, and blue, with no metal ring).

If I start by putting the haynet's over an unopened (45 - 55 lb) bale, I can get half a bale in each.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I have the Smartpak and the Bit of Britain models.

Smartpak's is kind of hard to load. It is really well made.

The Bit of Britain's is my favorite. Its easy to load, nicely holds eactly what I need it to hold (3 flakes and could definately hold much much more than I need!) and is made well. I went back and bought 2 more (black and royal blue).

I have the black ones with the metal ring at the bottom (got them from Miller's at less cost than Dover).

I fill mine easily by putting them inside an empty muck bucket (a clean one, of course). Drape the top edges of the net over and around the top edge of the muck bucket, push down the sides of the net around the bucket, then push down the middle of the net into the bucket, and it's ready to fill.

ETA: I just checked, and Dover's has theirs on sale for the same price I paid ($9.99), but it's confusing because they have two advertised (same exact pic and description for both) at different prices. Weird.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

I'm going to sound like a broken record..but!

I would suggest the extended day size Freedom Feeder. I love them and have one for ulcer prone horse and one for fatty. Works well on both. Keeps weight on ulcery guy and weight off fatty.

I have info on my blog here:
    Freedom Feeders

and here is the website.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. They have great customer service and can be hung lower than normal hay nets AND are much easier to get hay in

Default Hay Bag

Hi pm59,

After reading your post, I wanted to tell you about Schneiders Dura-Tech Slow Feed Safety Hay Bag. This hay bag features smaller holes to reduce the speed of your horse’s hay consumption and minimizes spillage on the floor. The bag also prevents horses from getting a hoof stuck in the holes. Tied with soft durable black nylon cord, the openings are approximately 2 ½” x 3 ½”. The hay bag holds a large amount of hay.

Click here to check it out. http://www.sstack.com/Stable_Barn-Su...-Feed-Hay-Bag/

Another fan of the schneider hay net..I bought one last year and have used it everyday (some for soaking) and it's still going strong. Since then I've bought 3more :0) One of those three was for my boarders horse who ripped two large holes in a small hay feeder net in one night (that net was from my local tack store)! He's had the schneiders hay net for two months and it still looks new.

I second the Chick's. They are large, cheap!! and hold up to daily abuse for about a year.

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

I have three of the Schneiders. I got the first one when they were only making the small ones. The larger one came later. For twice the price, they are not twice the quality. I could see having to replace the cord that they are tied with, prior to the rest of the hay net, but the rest of it works just fine, thanks!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Nibble Net is better then any other small hole hay feeders.

Anyone have a coupon code for Chicks?!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I'm going to Equine Affaire and hope to buy something like this there...maybe the Nibble Net?

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    ETA: I just checked, and Dover's has theirs on sale for the same price I paid ($9.99), but it's confusing because they have two advertised (same exact pic and description for both) at different prices. Weird.
    I bought one from Dover's a year or so ago at a tent sale, and it was the black one with the metal ring. At the time it was the only small hole net they offered. When they offered it in colors, I liked my original so much, I ordered 2 in blue. They are squared off at the bottom, which I actually like better because they hold more hay. It is kinda confusing on their website. If you want to make sure you get the slightly larger version, I would suggest ordering one in a color.

I also do the muck bucket thing. I took one that was cracked and had a small hole in the bottom, washed it, and it became my hay net filling tub. I do just as Liberty says, folding the top of the net over the lip of the bucket. Works like a charm! And if something ever happens to the drawstring at the top (I had a horse chew through the one on my black net--she was a worrier), I substituted one of those bucket straps. I clip the snap on one strand, weave the loop part through the rings, then feed the snap through the loop. You can either clip the snap on a ring in your wall, or wrap the length of strap left over after drawing the bag closed around a fence post, etc, and clip it back to the net. Also makes for a convenient carry handle.

I have the nibble net and shires small hole haynet. I have to say, I like the shires best. I put three large head 4" screws into the wall to hang it, and its easy to fill.
    The nibble net is more of a challenge to fill...horses like both hay nets, so for the price, the shires is a much better bet.
    I am looking at chick's since so many mention them.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Nibble Net all the way!!!!!! I have the largest of them for all my guys and hang them on the fence. Lasts them all night and are super easy to fill. I also don't worry about them getting caught them and the darn things last FOREVER!! Well worth the money.

Default See Equus Mag

I just wanted to add that this month's issue (Nov) of Equus magazine has an extensive list of "slow feeders", including links, prices, etc.

Also some recent studies relating the SPEED of a horse eating to a high rate of ulcers. INteresting stuff and lots of great information for those interested in slow feeders.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    I just wanted to add that this month's issue (Nov) of Equus magazine has an extensive list of "slow feeders", including links, prices, etc.

Also some recent studies relating the SPEED of a horse eating to a high rate of ulcers. INteresting stuff and lots of great information for those interested in slow feeders.
    I also read this article and it was great!! Got me to thinking about which net to buy , I have decided to go with the Chicks! Thanks everyone!