The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pedigree Run-down

Hi all! I've been looking at getting an ottb at some point in the near future, but I'm trying to brush up on pedigrees in the mean time. I know some names here and there, but by no means a thoroughbred expert and don't know much at all about sport horse lines.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/civil+earth

I was wondering if you lot would like to run through this pedigree for me and give me your most honest thoughts/feed back?

I know the horse is more important than papers when it comes to performance, but I do love dabbling in bloodlines.

Oh, and...Hulloo everyone!
    Last edited by Vermilion; Nov. 7, 2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Auto-correct typo error.

Does anyone have any input on the sport horse-ability of this pedigree?

Good points? Bad points? Awesome or awful? etc etc

It's hard to learn things when people don't spill the beans!

Another angle to look at would be the soundness and temperament of these lines. Any input would be appreciated.

as a starter- -Blushing Groom lines will give you wild risk/Ksar, Sham gives you pretense who comes from Touch of Class's dam line, Relaunch has all kinds of good stuffig (in reality/the axe) same with Speak John (tourbillion/Ksar again), I like El Prado (cant remember why) and Sadler Wells seems to show up in alot of European thoroughbreds used for sport.

Now I will step aside for the real experts!

You can take some of those names and do a search for famous "Viney" summaries.

I may do a double up on you and post a mare's pedigree I found interesting if I can locate it again and see what folks say!

There are others on this BB who can assess this far better than I, but to help get the ball rolling, I think this looks pretty good. On the dam side, Sadler's Wells, Sir Ivor and Blushing Groom are good to see, and he's got 6 crosses to Princequillo and 5 to Nasrullah reasonably close (Nasrullah is probably THE reference sire for sporthorses), and then 14 crosses to Teddy and 10 to Blenheim further back. Some don't like to see Raise a Native in the pedigree for soundness reasons, but he's back in the 5th generation here and probably fairly diluted. I've seen mixed reviews on Seattle Slew on this BB --some like him for sport, some don't. Other than him, I'm not familiar with the horses in the 2nd generation.

Okay experts -- how'd I do?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Some of the mare lines are extremely nice: Lady Capulet, and the French Tanapa, and tail female to the very great race mare Ta Wee. Ta Wee is by Intentionally out of Aspidistra, who was also the dam of Dr. Fager. For sport, Tanapa has an exceptionally nice pedigree.

I just did a rundown on Vice Regent on another thread today, and am coming to the opinion that he is becoming a productive line in eventing. Meadowlake is good to see, and so Prince John and Blushing John.

Meadow Monster raced until he was six, which bodes well for soundness on the dam side.

As to Slew, reviews are mixed. He was not very consistent as a sire, but one thing that is usually said about is that his good ones are VERY good, and his not so good ones are VERY not so good. Temperament and trainability can be less than stellar. Some H/J people say that many Slew get were tried in sport and were failures. At least he isn't the sire here.

Relaunch has a lovely, lovely pedigree, but he has a less than sterling reputation for soundness.

From what I can see, this is pretty much a regional West Virginia pedigree.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Thank you all for your input. It is quite helpful. Looking at horses is honestly one of my favorite things to do.

Viney, do you have some type of master-list of your pedigree breakdowns? It'd be nice to find all of that information in one place. I know I'd benefit from it since I'm not a thoroughbred buff. I'm sure others would too.

I have been reading the purely polarized opinions on Seattle Slew. It's too bad he wasn't more consistent because from what I've read, he had a tendency to produce some lookers.

I saw this pedigree and thought that there was something "decent" somewhere in practically every line.

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll find more to post or more questions to ask.

Vermillion-I've actually started to compile a list of OTTB sires for my own reference based on what I've read on COTH and in magazine articles.

Basically, I've taken an address book and listed each sire alphabetically. Beside each sire I've notated sporthorse, jumping or eventing lines and any known or suspected soundness/temperment issues.

For stallions I haven't heard of, I'll do a search here or on google.

It's been fun while I've been looking at OTTBs. If the horse has raced, you can google its name and one of the websites (I can't remember which one of the top of my head) will give you racing history, so you know how many starts the horse has had. You can also go back in the pedigree and look up its ancestors to give you an idea of soundness.