The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vaccinating foals

Got a situation, doesn't involve me as a horse owner, and I have no knowledge of foals as I am not a breeder.

I've been doing some research online concerning vaccinating foals and have found information from reliable sites - AAEP, for example.

Is the foal vaccination schedule a "recommendation" or something that truly should be done, especially in a boarding situation?

Have knowledge of a foal in a boarding facility with no vaccines and owner isn't truthful about age of foal.

I don't feel comfortable discussing the situation publically but if someone has further information, I wouldn't mind a PM!

Thanks in advance...

I'm a big believer in vaccines. If you don't get rabies vaccine for your horse and he gets rabies from a rabid groundhog, it is a horrible situation. Your horse will die a miserable death. All of the people who were around the horse will need thousands of dollats of painful, rabies immune globulin and rabies vaccine. All of this could have been prevented with a $10 rabies vaccine.

I think that we way over vaccinate our horses but foals are a different story. They have antibodies from their dam that last approximately 6 months then they need to start making their own. That said, I don't think it causes much of a risk if any to the horses around him if he isn't vaccinated. If he gets west nile or tetanus for example he may die but won't infect others. To bad he has a jerk for an owner, the future doesn't sound real bright for him.

Exclamation

It is a recommendation for the welfare of the foal, and in some cases for the people and horses around the foal.

In a case like this "it truly should be done", but there are no laws, as in "you must license your dog, and you can't get a license without vaccination for rabies"..

No law says you need vaccinate otherwise for the welfare of the animal. Only the law of common sense.

Common sense is something that seems to be very uncommon.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.