The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To keep from spending $100/month on fancy cat food, I was thinking about feeding half fancy food and half cheaper can food....if I can find a decent inexpensive can type. So what do you all think of this can brand? http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-car...-5-oz--2201961 I know it has by products, but at least there doesn't appear to be any corn and other than rice flour there is no grain or veggies.

ETA if that link doesn't work it's the Paws and Claws brand.

Link doesn't go anywhere for me. I get a blank tractor supply page.

You have two cats, right? I feed Before Grain 96% Chicken for about $1 per day per cat. $60 for the month for two. My pet food place is filled with other cans at about the same price. How are you getting to $100?

Edited--ah, figured it out. Had to enter ZIP on the wet cat food page to even see the product.

If you're going to feed by-products, there are varieties of Fancy Feast with no grain or gluten. I'd go with those over this food you've linked.

Lots and lots of cats survive many years on "junk" food. So if you really can't swing the good stuff, I don't think I'd feel too bad about feeding the junk.

The reason *we* switched and cough up so much change is because ours don't puke all the time on the better stuff. It was a) DISGUSTING and b) MISERABLE for the cats. I'm not joking when I say they were puke factories. At LEAST 2-3 piles of puke every single day. Puke everywhere. Puke all the time. Puke puke puke. We felt bad for them. We felt bad for us. We felt bad for the walls, carpets, tile, sofas, chairs, beds.... we needed to buy Resolve and paper towels and 409 by the crate. Tally once projectile-vomited her breakfast in this 3ft long stream (I wasn't sure if I should call the vet or a priest), and Mica would just hang her head over the side of her current perch and hurl.

For the record they both ate junk for years (we've had them since kittens) and it was only when they got older (and I guess their sensitivities really took hold?) that they became the Barf-Oh-Rama.

If we didn't notice a real difference feeding them the good stuff, we'd probably have gone back to the junk.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

So true! I had the same problem until I switched to better quality food. And the stuff with the red dye in it - OMG! the Stains you will never get off anything ever ever ever. shudder

But seriously, OP - even if you don't agree with my ideas about the actual food, try the shut in the bathroom thing and the limited dining times. You will find you can monitor the intake of both kittehs so much easier.

My sick kitteh has to eat in the bathroom to prevent the other members of the ravening hoard from snarfing all her food. I'm busy with a crazy schedule so she goes in when I'm eating or when I take my shower - just whenever I have to do something else and don't need to stand over her. She now regards the bathroom as her own personal dining spot. Sometimes she just sits in there and stares at me "Excuse me, waitress - where's the menu?"
    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

There's no reasoning with crazy people.

Quote Originally Posted by littleum View Post
    LFor the record they both ate junk for years (we've had them since kittens) and it was only when they got older (and I guess their sensitivities really took hold?) that they became the Barf-Oh-Rama. .
    When this happened to me (eons ago, childhood cat) it was because she went into chronic renal failure. We didn't know until it was too far gone to even make an attempt at saving her. She died at 7, probably due to the utter crap we were feeding her...

Really, Fancy Feast is not a bad option for those who are not inclined to feed the $$$ food. www.catinfo.org talks about maintaining diabetes cats on the no gluten varieties. If I could not afford what I feed now, I'd go that route. Checking pricing at www.petfooddirect.com, it looks like it's about $0.65 per cat per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    When this happened to me (eons ago, childhood cat) it was because she went into chronic renal failure. We didn't know until it was too far gone to even make an attempt at saving her. She died at 7, probably due to the utter crap we were feeding her....
    We were able to rule out everything. I guess I should have prefaced my tale with we saw the vet first, went to the store second.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Default to each their own?

I have Ray, who is just over 3yrs old, and a healthy 15lbs..and yes the vet confirmed it ain't fat, it's just he is a large cat naturally! Phew!

And he gets 1/2cup to 3/4cup of dry food at dinner time, with his special powder (long story....it's a naturalish enzyme booster to prevent outbreaks) which works like an appetite booster, so it's gobbled down in less then 30mins. I feed him food from the vet clinic, the gastrointestinal one, as he has an *ahem* stinky issue if he eats anything other then that one.
    I used to try Whiskas meaty selection and he could clear our apartment for an hr every time he went to the litter box!

He also has 2 bowls of fresjh every morning water in the apartment, plus he drinks out of the toilet, so hydration is good!

My vet said if I fed him anymore then that amount of food a day, he would quickly become a fatty fat cat.

And believe me, he yips at me all the time that his bowl is empty...but I don't mind, it's like having a toddler whine to you that they want snacks before dinner, it ain't happening get over it!
    if you havent fallen off a horse….then you havent been ridin long enough

Quote Originally Posted by littleum View Post
    We were able to rule out everything. I guess I should have prefaced my tale with we saw the vet first, went to the store second.
    I'm sorry--I didn't mean to suggest that you hadn't checked the meows over with the vet. Your story just reminded me of Spicy. Her decline and disease sparked an interest in what we feed our pets that has carried over my entire life.

Really, we all probably know people who have smoked for 50 years and never develop cancer, or people who keep their horses in a junk yard and never have injuries, or kitties who have eaten dry Meow Mix only and live to 20, but that's not the norm. Kitties who eat dry food or grain rich wet food have a hugely increased risk of diabetes, renal disease and obesity. Since I'm not one of those people who seems to be able to get away with anything (why is that? doesn't seem sporting!) I don't smoke, keep my horse at a clean boarding barn and feed my cats food that is appropriate for their species

Shiloh, yes Brie gets shut in the bathroom kitty habitat for meals. I already feel WAY better about Feta's fatty situation knowing she is getting controlled meal servings. I guess I was just being lazy offering free choice food

It might be my imagination, but it seems like Feta's playfulness is starting to catch back up with Brie's craziness! Perhaps she really does feel better on the higher quality food.

For my budget concerns, I just may continue feeding each kitty a mix of canned and dry. Since they will only be getting a small amount of dry I can get better dry and still go for the good canned stuff.

Simkie, the Wellness at 1.69/can comes to about $100 a month if each cat gets one can a day. For now they will get half a can per day plus dry.

Now that I know some brand names to look out for, I really need to shop around with my new cat food knowledge!!

Quote Originally Posted by fivesocks View Post
    Simkie, the Wellness at 1.69/can comes to about $100 a month if each cat gets one can a day. For now they will get half a can per day plus dry.
    Wellness is certainly not your only option I've been super happy with the BG, and so have my meows. I'm not sure where in NC you are, but it does look like they distribute all over the state: http://www.merrickpetcare.com/locator/index.php I've had better luck with pricing at the smallish mom and pop type places than at PetCo/PetSmart.

FWIW, I saw a really notable difference when I switched my cats to 100% wet. Even just having some dry food seemed to mean more puke and coats were not as nice. Poops were stinkier and more frequent/bigger. They all just really seemed to bloom when I got rid of the dry completely. (And I was feeding Innova, so it wasn't that they were getting a BAD dry food or anything...) I have a lot of cats (just upped the count to FIVE, sigh, but it's been up to SEVEN. My friend took a few to keep him company when he moved out.) and it is dollars, but I do absolutely believe that wet only = far less chance of renal issues. I consider it insurance, and do think I probably would have lost my older cat to renal failure by now if I had not made the change. I really wish I'd done it sooner.

Good luck, though, with whatever you find works best for you! I find kitties to be TOUGH, with their obligate carnivore requirements and their nearly zero thirst instinct and their ridiculous finickiness. Give me a DOG to feed any day of the week! They are SO much easier to deal with...

Start looking at wet food in terms of cost per ounce

Wellness Turkey

3oz can = $.39/oz
    5.50z can = $.27/oz
    12.5oz can = $.19/oz

So, if you can get big cans locally (if you find some, let me know, though I'm quite set for now!!), then you can cut the cost in 1/2, give or take, just by switching to the big cans

I order from these guys 1-2 times a year, during a sale, and it saves me a lot

And yes, it's quite reasonable to feed 1/2 and 1/2 wet/dry

Another alternative to Wellness is Soultastic, which is a Petco brand. Down here it's 89 cents a can, compared to 50-60ish for the crap. A really great selection of flavors if your cat will eat any texture. Our skinny one only likes pate and won't eat shreds/chunks. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I'm sorry--I didn't mean to suggest that you hadn't checked the meows over with the vet. Your story just reminded me of Spicy. Her decline and disease sparked an interest in what we feed our pets that has carried over my entire life.

Really, we all probably know people who have smoked for 50 years and never develop cancer, or people who keep their horses in a junk yard and never have injuries, or kitties who have eaten dry Meow Mix only and live to 20, but that's not the norm. Kitties who eat dry food or grain rich wet food have a hugely increased risk of diabetes, renal disease and obesity. Since I'm not one of those people who seems to be able to get away with anything (why is that? doesn't seem sporting!) I don't smoke, keep my horse at a clean boarding barn and feed my cats food that is appropriate for their species
    No, it's fine, and bears mentioning that sometimes what I described can be major red flags. We had ruled all that out in the course of treating other ailments, so we were left with just food as the Provoker of Puke.

Under a rock, up in the hills of Sage, So. Calif, southeast of Hemet & north east of Temecula

I feed my cats the Wellness No Grain in the largest cans. I've found the best price is with Petflow.com. I signed on with them when they were having a No Shipping fee promo & got that locked in for life.
    My guys split a can a day but that amount causes a slow weight loss, which was a good thing. Now I need a maintenance amount instead, so they get a can of Fancy Feast a couple of times a week. I was getting that at Walmart but will switch to getting it at Costco when this batch is gone.
    There is no such thing as "bad" horsemanship or "good" horsemanship. There is simply Horsemanship or the absence thereof.

www.oldmorgans.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by RougeEmpire View Post
    THIS!
    Cats need MEAT based diet with as little of anything else as possible. If it has fruits or veggies in it I pass!
    Im extremely curious then what do you feed?

I feed my kitty, Caesar, a tablespoon of Blue dry and a 1/4 of a can of Blue wet at each feeding (2x/day). Even with this little amount of food, he is still a bit chunky. He gets a good amount of exercise, but he's just one of those chunky cats. He's 11 pounds at the moment (the vet told me not have me over 12, so he's still good).

Caesar will eat absolutely anything. You turn your head and he is stealing the food off your plate. He has always been a bit food obsessed! He had free access to food for the first 8 months we had him. I noticed what a chunky monkey he was getting to be, so we did scheduled feedings. While he will eat anything, I've noticed the best results with what we are feeding now. We are feeding him Blue Longevity & Spa Select.

OldMorgans, do you mean the 5.5 oz. cans? So your kitties ONLY get a half can of food per day?

Kat Renee you are also feeding less than mine. I've been mixing 2 heaping tablespoons of dry with 1/4 can wet (2x/day)

Perhaps I should cut back again??

And to everyone who orders cat food online, doesn't shipping get expensive??

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    Im extremely curious then what do you feed?
    Um, how about any of the grain free foods that we've talked about in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by fivesocks View Post
    Perhaps I should cut back again??

And to everyone who orders cat food online, doesn't shipping get expensive??
    If you're unsure how much to feed, I would really work out the calories of what you're feeding, especially if you are not weighing your cats regularly. Kitties are notorious for losing or gaining quickly when things aren't quite right, and it's really hard to catch subtle weight gain or loss without a scale. Gaining an extra pound is troublesome--losing a pound can be very concerning.

Most places that ship pet food routinely have deals on shipping.

Smartpak also carries Wellness cat food. And it's cheaper than some of the places mentioned and only a $1 more per case of 5.5oz cans than Petflow -- but you get free shipping on orders over $40. I figured out how fast my cats would go through 4 cases and set up a regular delivery. And Smarpak will deliver on weird rotations (cat food comes every 47 days...).