The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Um, how about any of the grain free foods that we've talked about in this thread?
    Lols no kidding! There are plenty of grain free (also vegg and fruit free at the same time) high protien meat based cat foods avaliable at most petstores and many feed stores. Avaliable in wet or dry formula. The idea that cats "need fruits and veggies" to have a complete diet is crazy. They are NOT omnivores like dogs are, they are strictly meat eats (also dont eat carion unlike dogs). Dry foods to need "binders" so its hard to get away from that but corn is a terrible binder for cats and dogs. Rice and potato is much gentler on the system of an animal not meant to eat anything other than meat. Though MEAT ONLY wet food is probably most ideal for a cat. I feed grain-free Wellness, Merricks Before Grain, Tast of Wild or Wysong ect ect ect.

Quote Originally Posted by RougeEmpire View Post
    There are plenty of grain free (also vegg and fruit free at the same time) high protien meat based cat foods avaliable at most petstores and many feed stores.
    You've got that right! I gotta say, it'd been a LONG time since I'd been in a PetSmart or PetCo, but I've found myself in both of them in the past month or so. I was FLOORED at the quality of the food available there now. It really used to be that there was very little worth feeding at any big box pet store--the ultra premiums were only carried at boutique type places and some good feed stores. Now? Wellness and Wellness CORE! Merrick! Before Grain! Nature's Variety! Innova! HOLY COW. It has gotten SO EASY to get really high quality food.

I've even found reasonably good stuff in the grocery store which totally blows me away...

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Um, how about any of the grain free foods that we've talked about in this thread?
    To be fair, the originator said s/he won't feed things with fruit and veggies in it, then was asked what if fed. There are several grain-free varieties that have, for example, peas, or blueberries, or cranberries, or even potatoe

There are far fewer cat foods that don't have grains OR fruits OR veggies.

Wellness, grain-free, has cranberries, blueberries, yellow squash, and yellow zucchini.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    To be fair, the originator said s/he won't feed things with fruit and veggies in it, then was asked what if fed. There are several grain-free varieties that have, for example, peas, or blueberries, or cranberries, or even potatoe

Wellness, grain-free, has cranberries, blueberries, yellow squash, and yellow zucchini.
    Okay, very true

But I have posted a couple times in this thread about the Before Grain that I feed, and it is all meat...

Haven't we also talked about Wellness CORE in this thread?

Yep, you have

I don't know if it's been on this thread, but even the Wellness CORE has non-meats in it - Chicken Turkey and Chicken Liver Formula has dried ground potatoes, cranberries, and flaxseed

Wellness now has an all meat option but it's not complete and labeled for supplemental feeding only. Wysong has the same. It seems dumb that they wouldn't just add the vitamins like BG, though.

Weruva Paw Licken' Chicken or Nine Liver is the only canned I found that wasn't pate and was grain, vegetable and fruit free. It does contain potato starch to thicken the gravy but tapioca is the usual other choice. My cats used to eat BG but the more they got into raw, the more they rejected or puked it up, so Weruva is pretty much my only choice for canned now.

Why is it so hard to manufacture a single source protein, all meat, complete canned food in both pate and chunky style? I'd think anyone who did that would corner the market on pet food. If only I had more time and more inclination to cook.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

My cat was just diagnosed with diabetes, so low-carb, high protein are essential for him. I've done lots of reading and the one that gets recommended for a smaller budget? Fancy Feast. You have to look at the lables, but the ones called "Classics" are the ones to look at. Make sure they don't contain wheat gluten. Also, avoid fish-flavored ones more than a couple times a week as they can contain mercury and other chemicals. Believe me, I've learned more about cat food this week than in the rest of my life combined!

Here is a link to the list of FF varieties and the % of calories from carbs (should always be under 10, and no dry food can give that): Fancy Feast List

I found this link helpful as well. It lists food by the percentage of calories from protein, fat, and carbs. In general, you want to shoot for 50-70% protein and less than 10% from carbs. This is NOT the "guaranteed analysys" on the cans, which is very inaccurate for most foods. This table breaks them down to actual precent. Cat Food Chart

And if you need a way to get a fatty to play, try a laser pointer. All three of my cats will chase that little red dot from one end of the house to another for as long as I'm willing to play with them, even the one that rarely plays with toys LOVES this game!