The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buyer is ill :-((

I just learned that the buyer of my foal of this year is very ill. Apart from feeling quite sorry that there is a huge health issue, I am now facing how to deal with that from the business point of view. And I am also having thoughts how to deal with that morally.

My beautiful Benetton Dream filly out of my SPS Florencio mare is involved but also another great filly by Licotus. We may need to search for a new buyer, but are sort of hanging in the air how it goes on.

Someone having had something like that happening to him/herself ?
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

I have dealt with similar issues; I am not sure if I can be helpful but am haopy to give my 2 cents...
    I will pm
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

it is a mental illness, which makes it for me harder...

A mental illness ... I would make arrangements to get them back.

I had a buyer become terminally ill and I helped find another buyer. I couldn't finacially buy the horse back at that point, but knew knew someone I thought would be interested and it worked out. Mental illness would be much harder. Good luck with the situation
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I would try to get them back. Mental illness is so hard to deal with as the buyer or you never knows what tomorrow will bring. Much more difficult than with a physical issue.
    Jingles to all.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Bit quick on the draw y'all seem to me.

Mental Illness is often completely treatable and the sufferer returns to a normal condition that can be permanent. Perhaps this person is one of those lucky ones.

If she's paid or is paying for the foal and doesn't want to give it up right now, rescinding the purchase can make her condition much worse.

My personal inclination would be to give her six months to see how things pan out for her. But that's assuming she still wants the horse and to continue riding.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I don't think Alexandra would have posted her if she wasn't extremely concerned.

That said, I have relatives who have been on medication and led productive professional lives.

Are the foals paid for completely and picked up already??

OP-you really haven't explained what your issue is with this? Is she not paying? Already paid and taken possesion? or what?

Who did you learn this from and why were they telling you?

Honestly mental illness runs the gamet from functional and no one would know better, to completely delussional and unable to cope.

Unless you think she is incapable of paying or providing adequate care then I'm still not sure what your issue is?
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Mental illness is not something that just happens, although the acute symptoms might manifest themselves suddenly I suppose. I am sure the buyer has been dealing with his or her disease for quite some time.

Certainly there are treaments, but medication takes time to work, it's not like taking antibiotics for a week. However, once they do work, the person can function perfectly normally.

It's hard to say what your course of action might be because it depends on what's wrong. It seems to me that if the person is depressed, that can impact the long term care of a foal, if the depression is bad enough that you are being made aware of it. I assume the buyer was hospitalized, or something, so you heard of it?

If the person is having a hard time dealing with life because of mental illness, is it right to stigmatize them and assume they can't take care of your foals? Or, is it the best decision to terminate the sale, and refund the money because you know the person can't really care for your horses in the best manner possible due to their inability to function?

Tough choices. However, it is possible the buyer would like to get out of the sale due to the problems they are facing, in which case you are only faced with the issue of finding a new home. I would try to talk with the buyer and see how they feel about it -- or if they are unable to communicate with you, perhaps talking to a friend or family member about it?

I got that the buyer may not be able to complete the sale, not that she wiuld not let her. She is already giving her several months to see how it goes.

I would just offer to help find another buyer or purchase back if you can afford it, when the buyer decides they can't handle it.

Well it is more complicated and with respect for the buyer I will not put more in this forum into the open. Just wanted to hear about other or similar situations and what people did in such cases.

Kwill actually outlined some things that we are facing and thinking about.

Yes, I have had two similar situations, one with a foal, the other with a riding horse. No situation (or seller's contracts) are exactly alike, nor do we know the sort of rapport that you have established with your buyer. At the end of the day, I want both satisfied buyers and horses that are happy in their homes. I make my decisions based on that goal. If your instincts are telling you that it might not be the best for either this buyer or your horse, than go with your gut. If your foal is good quality, finding another buyer will not be that hard, and you will not have to struggle with the second guessing yourself.

Is the foal already paid for or is she just lined up to buy it? Did she come to you and want out of the sale, or did you just hear she was hospitalized and want to go purchase your foal back? Does she have the foal or do you?

If she already bought it and hasn't approached you about getting out of the deal, not sure there is anything you can or should do about it. Not your horse any more and I would MYOB.

Maybe take her a casserole, say "I've heard you've been sick, you know if you decide X filly is too much for you and want me to take her back i'd refund your money, just keep it in mind no need to give me an answer now..." which I tend to do on any of my horses that haven't been ruined. If they've been ruined I'll take them back too, but there is no refund. That would not be treating her any differently that I treat anyone else, though, and I'd make that clear.

I would hesitate to get more involved than that in the details. I would not want to rescind the sale based on rumor, nor would I feel comfortable asking for detail. Just not my business. Providing an out is the best you can do. If things obviously downward spiral and it becomes clear she cannot care for the horses and title has not yet transferred, maybe then -- but consult with a contracts lawyer in your jurisdiction to ensure you can actually still back out. And that there aren't any weird German mental illness discrimination laws we Americans don't know about over there, to be safe.
    Last edited by fordtraktor; Nov. 8, 2011 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
    Certainly there are treaments, but medication takes time to work, it's not like taking antibiotics for a week. However, once they do work, the person can function perfectly normally.
    That has not been my experience with a mentally ill individual. I guess in her case the critical line is "once they do work." She struggles constantly as do the doctors and her meds are changing/tweaked continually. The side effects (short and longterm) to some medications can be terrible as well. This has been going on for years, with several top professionals consulting on her case. She has multiple, serious diagnosis, however, I'm not talking about mild depression or something.

I just wanted to comment (I know you weren't talking about this person, obviously), because I think in my circle there are people who believe she should take her meds and she will be just fine and it really isn't that simple. Or when she has a meltdown that she "is off her meds" which isn't the case either.

Mental illness is so tough. There is about zero support in the general population for the ill people, or their friends/families that have to deal with it too, and then there is additional stigma to boot.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

So I would ask client if he/she wishes you to try to help relocate (sell) one or both of the foals to lessen the stress of the situation he/she is dealing with at the moment. If so start putting feelers out.

If foal sells and you're owed money you extract money owed (act as intermediary) and owner gets any remainder.

If possible I'd like to keep whomever that may act as their "power of attorney" representative in the loop so there is no question that you are acting in their behalf and not trying to rip them off in any way.
    Sandy in Fla.

Too many unknown's that the OP hasn't provided. Details like money and where you are at in the sale are important regardless of their condition. Sales fall through all the time for many reasons. I get the impression they do not want the horses and maybe you do not want to cancel the sale.
    But with what you are telling us we just have assumptions.

I am not looking for legal advise. Hence I am not providing informtion also out of respect to the person involved !
    The legal advice is what I have already looked after earlier as you can see from my initiaal post.
    I thought I was reading some stories about people in situations that I could compare.
    And I received some information - thanks to those posting here and those that took time to send a PM !

To make a long story short - the fillies are now on the market again :-((