The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default More Rescues - Stinkin' Rose Ranch and Feedlot horses

I said I would pass this on, so here it is. Has anyone heard of this rescue group and are they legit or not? Apparently they are on facebook under Debra Hawk.

Stinkin' Rose Ranch - Debra Hawk & Troy Kelly

I just got off the phone w/the feedlot. This is not a good situation, but I'll just share what I was told. There are ~60 horses left of those pictured in the 'Oct' albums (not including orphaned foals - there are only a few left). Their feed bill is about $300/day or $2,100/wk. They are costing the feedlot $ while they sit there waiting for us to rescue them. That's why they are out of time. ... I was just given the option of taking over their hay bill. If we do this, they will not ship them and they will let them stay at the feedlot for at least one week. I was also given the option of buying the entire herd - $13,000 for all of them (@ $200/horse, foals still $125). I have no clue what to do. If you have a brilliant idea, call me! Both of these options are band-aids; these horses need forever homes or at least homes willing to take them in until they can be rehomed. If you can offer a forever home or safe place for the winter, call me! And once again, Dove, Amber and Dawn, your rescues are safe and are not included in the above scenario.

"I post everything I know about the horses you see pictured in the 'feedlot' albums and with this Oct group, I got very little info. Here's what I know - they are all from a ranch in Oregon and most of the mares, including those with foals at their sides, are likely preg. There was one stallion, a B&W Paint. Mare/foal pairs are $450, preg mares are $350. There are a few yearlings, mostly colts, and they are $150. Orphaned foals are $125. It's all about size/weight, so smaller horses have more time than adults. How much time? Don't know; trucks haul weekly off the feedlot. If you have an ability to give a rescue horse a home, please contact me. Thank you. -Debra"
    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

There's no reasoning with crazy people.

Yes, they are legit. However, all of those horses were fortunate enough to find a soft spot to land.

One of my friends took five mares who are either pregnant of have foals by their sides. Fortunately, she has room for quarantine because as soon as she brought them home, they came down with strangles.

Stinkin' Rose Ranch, Bishop, CA:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sti...30066427089103
    Last edited by jenm; Nov. 5, 2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added link
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Yes, that's what I heard. One of my friends was "lucky" enough to get one that was infected. Glad they all left the feedlot - now to find them forever homes.
    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

There's no reasoning with crazy people.