The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The new kids - full siblings - height questions

Ive acquired two new kids. Full siblings, and so very different (genetics...go figure)

Popeye K is the grandsire, and out of a TBx mare.

The first one is a 2 year old gelding: http://i41.tinypic.com/14aekjd.jpg
    The second one is a yearling filly: http://i43.tinypic.com/2aa0vvd.jpg

I think the gelding will be a jumper and the filly a hunter

I was planning on keeping one and selling the other (which I still may do), but am having the hardest time picking between the two!!!

Height question: The gelding is about 15.3hh right now, he is pretty even but Im sure has a lot more growing to do (he's not quite 2 1/2 yet), the filly is pretty bum high and almost as tall at the bum, but quite a bit shorter at the withers. How much would you expect a yearling to grow? Would she make up an inch between a year and two years?

Here is a video for a better height comparison http://youtu.be/VWPZcveg2N4
    Last edited by SquishTheBunny; Nov. 4, 2011 at 10:45 PM.

Are you asking how tall they both will wind up, or if the filly will grow an inch in a year? Chances are, they'll probably be about the same. How tall were the parents?

FWIW...I like the gelding quite a bit, but the filly would be my sale choice.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Colt looks nicer to me. Not sure if it helps regarding grandkids, but I've found most Popeye's to end up about the same size as their mother. I also don't think that colt looks like he has a ton more growing to do, for whatever that guess is worth .

Agreed, he has a finished look to him, for lack of better phrasing... Maybe another inch or two, depending on what mom is? The filly got the shorter end of genetic stick though, IMO. Very thin through the thigh, not sure how much power she is going to have.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I have a Popeye K mare out of a TBx cross mare that finished a hair under 15.3, same as her dam. I bred her to Banderas last year (16.2) and she had a filly in April that is huge! Very leggy and tall (haven't sticked her but she's at least 13.2 at six months) - a friend who is a veteran breeder figures she'll finish 17 hh. I think it's the Popeye genes coming through ....

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    Colt looks nicer to me. Not sure if it helps regarding grandkids, but I've found most Popeye's to end up about the same size as their mother. I also don't think that colt looks like he has a ton more growing to do, for whatever that guess is worth .
    Interesting - the mother was only 15.1hh or so, so the colt already towers above the mom. Ive never seen a 2 1/2 year old to be finished growing, but I havent had many so I guess he's done (Im sure youve had far more experience than me!). The filly sticks 15.1hh at the withers and just a hair under 15.3hh in the rump and she is 14 months. She is a much smaller frame than him,more my style. I was hoping she would finish off under 16hh so if you think they will finish growing around 2 1/2 then hopefully she will!! Im only 5'5 on a tall day - and not young....so I prefer the smaller guys!

If the gelding's done growing - do you think it would be reasonable to back him in a few months?
    Last edited by SquishTheBunny; Nov. 6, 2011 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Agreed, he has a finished look to him, for lack of better phrasing... Maybe another inch or two, depending on what mom is? The filly got the shorter end of genetic stick though, IMO. Very thin through the thigh, not sure how much power she is going to have.
    LOL- actually, quite interesting. The filly is a powerhouse. The 4' paddock couldnt contain her (apparently the grass is muchbetter on the other side!), has to go in with the "big kids" with the 5' fence. She actually has a really nice jump

Why would the filly be your sale choice? (sorry...trying to learn here!) She has a more hunter way, nice trot (unfortunatley didnt catch that on video), soft canter and she really has a nice jump. The gelding doesnt move like a hunter, but he jumps ok (have only free jumped him over 2'6): http://youtu.be/OCsDJhxcZhw He does carry his head pretty high (for a hunter), but I still like him...just not sure what discipline would suit him best??

I think with the filly,I have a safer chance getting a 3' hunter....but maybe Im wrong?

I have two full siblings (filly and a colt) that ended up being a full hand in height difference and completely different in their type and conformation. The colt grew 3 inches between 3 and 6 years of age and filly stopped growing at around 3 but continued to fill out and round up until she was 6.

Of my two, conformation wise the filly is beautifully put together. I just love to look at her. She's athletic and sound and a nice horse. The gelding is nice but looks more plain brown wrapper than the filly while standing still, but he's a touch more athletic than the filly.

At 2-1/2 I'd be suprised if you colt has stopped growing. He's got some more in there but I wouldn't count on a lot (they can suprise you though). The filly looks like she will be bigger than the gelding. She's got a lot of growing to do.

I never judge athletic ability by confo shots alone.