The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trainer/Farrier/Vet Gift ideas

Yes, it's early, but I want a head start and not a lot of frantic last minute shopping...

Looking for ideas for gifts for the people that have helped keep my horse and I, safe and sound, while having a little bit of fun along the way!

I really would like to get my trainer something special this year, she's really been awesome this year. I have a wall of ribbons to prove it! She's definitely turned us around and encouraged me to try new things without scaring the beejesus outta me

My farrier, I've come to realize is a rare creature in farrierdom. He's sane, friendly, shows up on time, fairly priced and keeps my horse's feet happy and healthy. I've never given him anything for the holidays before, but I really want to show my appreciation.

My vet is just great. Knock on wood, she's only been out for wellness/chiro visits, but she always listens and answers my questions.

It does get cold and snowy up here, so I was thinking a gift card for coffee places for farrier/vet or a mug gift thingy, maybe toss in some hand warmers! I would say nice warm gloves, but they both need the dexterity of their fingers unencumbered!

DH is a farrier and many clients give him gift cards to Dunkin' Donuts, Starbucks, etc... They are VERY much appreciated.

Gift cards to places like WaWa, Quick Chek - any convience-type store that he could grab a sandwich for lunch are also appreciated!

He has also gotten gas cards (make sure if you go this route - is his truck gas or diesel and does the station you're getting the gift card from sell diesel if that's what his truck requires?).

Toe warmers are the BEST for both farriers and vets. Hand warmers tend to not stay warm long - plus how often can a farrier or vet keep their hands in their pockets? These are the best we've found - they're thin, they stick well on the sock and most importantly, they're not expensive. This company has free shipping on a case (40 pairs for $39.99) - scroll to the 2nd item on the page: http://www.shop.meyerscustomsupply.c...?categoryId=10

Hope this helps! And thanks for thinking of your farrier, vet & trainer!
    Last edited by tarynls; Nov. 4, 2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: addt'l idea