The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Funny Story from "wannabe foxhunter"

So a couple years ago a very gracious couple offered their hunt horse to me for Opening Hunt. I'd always wanted to try it, but never had a suitable horse! So I go, have a great time, and declare that I want to do this someday!

I was a new mom at the time and was starting a 2nd degree in Nursing, so busy was an understatement!

Fast forward two years...horse I hunted is for sale and I'm thinking I should buy him (even though I am supposed to be looking at a horse strictly for my Mom), talk to my Dad about the whole thing and here's where it gets funny:

ME-So I think I should buy that hunt horse I rode a while back
    Dad-The foxhunting one? You sure you want to do that?
    ME-Yes, why?
    Dad-Well didn't you say they ran like hell and you were sore for 2 days afterwards? That doesn't sound fun. Plus they don't even do anything with the fox, right? So it's not hunting really
    ME-Yes, I was out of shape, it is hunting because they are LOOKING for the fox
    Dad-so they look for it then run after it?
    Me-yep, and they drink too, they are a talented bunch!
    Dad-They drink what?
    ME-Brandy, scnapps, anything to warm them up, they carry it with them in little flasks. The people I went with had a few bottles right in their horse trailer
    Dad-You've got to be SH*%ING me? They run through fields and woods on a horse while drinking?
    ME-Yep, some of them can actually take sips while they are riding, and they all drink before they start, it's called a Stirrup Cup, Oh and they jump too!
    Dad-You're stupid, I have no idea why you'd want to ride with a bunch a drunks chasing a fox that they don't even catch!
    ME-Well, I think it will be fun, going to look at the horse tomorrow
    Dad-whatever, make sure this horse will carry your drunk a$$ home and don't call me when you are drunk and lost in the woods or fall off
    Brother chiming in who's been half listening-People DO THAT? Seriously, ride, drink, jump, and chase a fox around?
    Me-yep, and they pay to do it
    Brother-You've lost your mind
    ME-so Dad, if I really love this horse and think Mom can ride it around in the ring can we get it?
    Dad-If I'd known when I got you your first horse you'd be asking me to buy you one you can do this crap on I'd never believe it, but yeah, I'll get it
    ME-Yay thanks! I want a flask for Christmas!
    Dad-The HORSE will be your present, I'm not getting you a damn flask!
    ME-ok deal!

Hope you all think this as funny as I did! Hoping I get a foxhunter!

Your dad is really really cute. So if your mom wants to hunt on this horse, that you are supposed to be buying for her, paid for by your dad, but in secret reality for yourself to hunt, what are you going to do?

LOL, Mom won't hunt (way too fast for her, and she prefers a Western saddle!), I was supposed to be looking for something she can ride in the ring and trail ride. But then I couldn't find the perfect one that would pass a PPE, and in reality, she won't ride that much, so I thought, let's find a hunt horse that I can hunt and she can piddle on! I'm really doing us all a favor! LMAO

I gotta tell you, I don't fox hunt, but none of my family except my mom is horsey, and I could TOTALLY picture having a very similar conversation with MY dad!

Thanks for the laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by allisontatman View Post
    LOL, Mom won't hunt (way too fast for her, and she prefers a Western saddle!), I was supposed to be looking for something she can ride in the ring and trail ride. But then I couldn't find the perfect one that would pass a PPE, and in reality, she won't ride that much, so I thought, let's find a hunt horse that I can hunt and she can piddle on! I'm really doing us all a favor! LMAO

That is why I love horse folks. They are so darn resourceful

Oh my gosh I couldn't stop laughing!!
    Your Dad must be my Dad's long lost brother...
    Life is short. Hug your horse!

ROFLMAO.... sounds like a very familiar conversation that I've had with my non-horsey family.

I don't fox hunt but when I tell them about other things that we do I get.... You do what?????

Sweet and congrats on getting the horse!!

I've got a couple more parents for you to talk to!

Dad is a wise man.

I must be missing something, do you actually drink and ride? Drink and ride at speed?

Like all hunters, foxhunters love to tell tall tales. The one that got away, they once chased a of thhiiiiiiiissssss bbbiiiiiiiig......

You might have a small nip of sherry or port on high holy days or on regular hunting days. Or apple cider, or other non alcoholic drinks.

At checks or after running a fox to ground, again a sip from a flask. Flasks are often shared. Some folks carry water or Gatorade in their flasks. In my home hunt, juniors can always be counted on to carry small tootsie rolls in their pocket.

Not exactly a keg party.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Ummmmm,,,,, What's the problem????????????????????????
    Isn't it just called Multi-Tasking???????????

It's for medicinal purposes only!!

AKA "Dutch Courage." So the trick is to have just enough to take the edge off, before you ride. Especially if it's cold. Think Ireland, in late November. Rain coming down sideways, huge ditch and bank country. There is a reason the meet is at a pub! Ahhh, the sheer joy of a hot whiskey, with a bit of soda bread and a slab of Dubliner cheese.

Now, the other trick is, don't have enough to affect your balance or your judgement. Alcohol metabolizes at about one drink per hour, so you could have a nip or two during a long day.

In 27 seasons of hunting, I don't believe I've ever seen anyone actually intoxicated in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Like all hunters, foxhunters love to tell tall tales. The one that got away, they once chased a of thhiiiiiiiissssss bbbiiiiiiiig......

You might have a small nip of sherry or port on high holy days or on regular hunting days. Or apple cider, or other non alcoholic drinks.

At checks or after running a fox to ground, again a sip from a flask. Flasks are often shared. Some folks carry water or Gatorade in their flasks. In my home hunt, juniors can always be counted on to carry small tootsie rolls in their pocket.

Not exactly a keg party.
    I didn't mean that they are irresponsible at all! Just the way Dad took it was funny to me! The people I know in my local hunt are some of the best riders and horsepeople I know!
    Last edited by allisontatman; Nov. 6, 2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling

OMG -- ROFLMAO!!!!

I know Allison's dad, too -- and believe me, that conversation was a true and accurate description!!! You owe me a keyboard, Allison!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by colorfan View Post
    I must be missing something, do you actually drink and ride? Drink and ride at speed?
    You only need one hand for the reins. Whatcha gonna do with the other?

Like they say in the Navy: one hand for yourself, one for the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by allisontatman View Post
    I didn't mean that they are irresponsible at all! Just the way Dad took it was funny to me! The people I know in my local hunt are some of the best riders and horsepeople I know!
    Your Dad, my Dad, and my hubby need to get together sometime. I've had the same conversation. You do what? With what? On purpose? For hours? In the cold? And you PAY to do this?
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling