The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Default It's been HOW long???

Ugh... I just did the math and now I feel old. Last time I went hunting was with Char, my beautiful OTTB mare that I put down in April 2005! And I don't think we hunted that 2004-05 season. Holy crap! I'm going to the MVH Blessing this Sunday on a school horse from my former barn -- should be easy to spot us (no pun intended)... he's a loud leopard appy (named Spot!). Really looking forward to it. Hunted enough eons ago to get my colors, but never A) put them on my coat or B) kept up with the club. I'm only mildly concerned that I'll pull a faux pas in some manner. Things haven't changed much have they? beige breeches, white shirt with stock and plain pin, black jacket, conservative tack. How are leather half chaps viewed (black leather with black leather paddock boots)? Safety vests? I know the Blessing is ultra-formal, but I'm hoping to get out my 2 other cap rides this year - even managed to convince my retail boss that I didn't really have to work the day after Thanksgiving so I could go ride.

Mostly just excited and a bit "blech" about how long it's been since I hunted.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    <snip>Things haven't changed much have they? beige breeches, white shirt with stock and plain pin, black jacket, conservative tack. How are leather half chaps viewed (black leather with black leather paddock boots)? Safety vests? I know the Blessing is ultra-formal<snip>
    Nope. The basics in hunting don't change. No to leather half chaps - full dress boots, please. Safety vest is fine under the coat; not over the coat.

Opening Meet is a High Holy Day - dress accordingly. And have fun with your return to the sport!

(FWIW - it has been my experience that the blessing of the hounds occurs the same day as OM.)

Have fun and enjoy!

One of the nicest things about fox hunting is that the basic dress code and manners in the field doesn't change from generation to generation. In fact, I still have the stock tie my late Mom made for me when I was 10 and was fox hunting in Pony Club back in South Carolina. I turn 52 next week and could still use that stock tie though 42 years has discolored it a little.

I convinced my boss that he didn't need me on Wednesday mornings from August to April. I hunt in the morning, do a quick Clark Kent change from hunting clothes to clinic clothes then drive the 3 miles to the vet clinic. My mare spends the rest of the day hanging out in a stall while I do my thing. Win, win except by Wednesday night at 7:30 I am kind of tired...and I work for a crew of exceptinal veterinarians.

Ehhh. I defy anyone to discern if you've got on nice new tidy shiny half chaps + shiny nice tidy paddock boots, or dress boots. Really. If its a problem$ to get dress boots, just go with half chaps. What hunters want is ...
    Quietly interested
    Mannerly
    Well mounted
    Smiling
    I introduced (yet another) newbie to the joys of the hunt field today. An adult, never hunted, rides fine, beg. novice level eventer (in her day.) She wore shiny polished black paddock boots and half chaps. No one noticed/cared/smirked. What they *did* notice was her manners, her perfectly suited mount (Brook!, bless him) and her wall-to-wall smile after a grand day following hounds. : )
    *That* is what this sport is about.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

PS You're liable to find the safety vest that may (or may not) be comfy for an 8 minute x country course will probably not be comfy after 2 1/2 hours. Just a thought.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
    Ehhh. I defy anyone to discern if you've got on nice new tidy shiny half chaps + shiny nice tidy paddock boots, or dress boots. Really. If its a problem$ to get dress boots, just go with half chaps. What hunters want is ...
    Quietly interested
    Mannerly
    Well mounted
    Smiling
    I introduced (yet another) newbie to the joys of the hunt field today. An adult, never hunted, rides fine, beg. novice level eventer (in her day.) She wore shiny polished black paddock boots and half chaps. No one noticed/cared/smirked. What they *did* notice was her manners, her perfectly suited mount (Brook!, bless him) and her wall-to-wall smile after a grand day following hounds. : )
    *That* is what this sport is about.
    Well said, as always, HR!

We've had several guests hunt in half chaps and boots. No one has ever commented.

I had a zipper on my tall boots break one morning and I wore half chaps and paddocks. I apologized to the Master and asked permission and she laughed and said she wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't pointed it out.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Well, the dress boots are out... I don't own any. But I'll go ahead and wear my field boots. Probably won't wear my vest, but wanted to make sure it was still ok, although I'd have to wear it over my coat (no room under -- coat is big but it's not THAT big)... but it is solid black -- from a distance, you probably wouldn't even notice I had it on. As for the mount, well, that will be to be determined... he's a lovely boy, but has never hunted before.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

Have fun!!!!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Thanks. Had a blast. No fox... combination of too late in the day and the OMG-gorgeous weather I think, but it was still a lot of fun. Spot was wonderful. Never hunted before and still fairly young (6 I think) but he took everything in stride. There was one time when he got a bit antsy at standing still in a field while they rounded up the hounds who'd gone after some deer, but otherwise, he was quite lovely. I'm quite sore today - legs, back, shoulders - but it was SO worth it!