The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    364

    Smile Verhan Saddles?

    While we always see the saddle threads talking mostly about Devocoux, Antares, CWD, and the occasional County, I never see Verhan mentioned. Just wanted to know a few things from the few Verhan people on here:

    Are their prices comparable with the brands mentioned above? Higher? Lower?

    Are their reps good at what they do? Are they easy to contact and get a hold of?

    What can be said about the quality of the leather?

    And any other comments you may have about them???



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug. 27, 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    130

    Default

    My favorite saddle I have owned was my Verhan Futurity. I sold it with my last horse because she was hard to fit and got really back sore if a saddle didn't fit perfectly, so just for my own peace of mind I made sure it went with the horse.

    My Verhan was gorgeous. The leather was incredible, such a pretty color. It looked just as good after 5 years of riding in it as it did the day I bought it. It fit me like a glove, and was a perfect fit for my mare.

    Dealing with Verhan was great. When I had it restuffed they mailed it back to me with a free girth that matched my saddle, just because.

    I don't have a Verhan right now because I can't afford another one. Definatley would make Verhan my first choice when/I can afford one again



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Are the seat and knee rolls made of different leather then the flap and skirt? Im looking at two, one from a friend who sent me pictures, and one on ebay, and both seem to be different leather, or maybe the lighting is weird...



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar. 15, 2008
    Posts
    204

    Default

    I honestly cannot say enough good things about Verhan. Bernardo and Gigi, the owners, are husband and wife and so great to work with. My e-mails were usually responded to within a day if not sooner. I sent countless pictures and videos and eventually me tup with Bernardo when he was doing a fitting a few hours away. He is one of the nicest people I have met and has great knowledge of saddle building, anatomy, rider position etc. He has since come to my barn and was very well received there as well.

    In terms of comparability to other saddles, I feel that my Verhan (Todd Minikus version) will last me for ever. I got the buffalo and it is wearing like iron so far. I think the French saddles are often more "delicate" and wear more quickly. Bernardo also went the extra mile to make my sure my very sensitive chestnut TB was comfortable by integrating Thinline pads into the panels under the flocking. I basically got a 100% custom saddle and great reliable service to back up the product for maybe $1,000 less than the other saddles mentioned.

    P.S. I also think I remember Bernardo mentioning that they don't actually sponsor any riders, so most of their business comes from word of mouth from satisfied customers.
    "Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Things happen for a reason." - vxf111



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2007
    Location
    ....in a classroom in Fl, by the ocean
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    they sponsor Stacy Parvey-Larsson, a dressage rider in Ocala fl

    I know Gigi and Bernardo, they boarded where I used to work many many years ago when they first moved to Ocala and started making the saddles. Lovely people.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Eventer did you find when you first got the saddle that the flaps were of a different color? Im just trying to figure out if the saddle I found online is normal, as the flap are lighter in color, and of a much more orangey tinge then the knee rolls and seat.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb. 16, 2007
    Location
    My very own sliver of heaven.
    Posts
    1,282

    Default

    I've been riding in a Verhan dressage saddle (don't know the model) and it's just FANTASTIC. It belongs to my trainer so I don't know how much it cost, but I have been very impressed with it!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar. 15, 2008
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolpho614 View Post
    Eventer did you find when you first got the saddle that the flaps were of a different color?
    The flaps did match the rest of the saddle, but the panels were darker. However, I have seen a brand new Verhan with the coloration you are describing. I only saw it brand new, so I'm not sure how it looked after oiling/breaking in. You could always shoot Gigi and Bernardo an e-mail, and I would bet they would be willing to help you out.
    "Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Things happen for a reason." - vxf111



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2009
    Posts
    6,460

    Default

    I can't believe this one has not sold yet!



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eventer12 View Post
    The flaps did match the rest of the saddle, but the panels were darker. However, I have seen a brand new Verhan with the coloration you are describing. I only saw it brand new, so I'm not sure how it looked after oiling/breaking in. You could always shoot Gigi and Bernardo an e-mail, and I would bet they would be willing to help you out.
    I think I will! I found one on ebay that has the weird coloring too. Theres a girl at my barn with the same saddle that the flaps are different colored but I don't know how old hers is... BTW this is the one I found on ebay

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verhan-Futur...ht_1605wt_1211

    The same seller has another with a 16" seat that doesn't have the weird coloring... maybe its because the other saddles leather is smooth and not buffalo?

    ETA: Just realized the seller of both of these saddles is based in Ocala, I could always go see them for myself lol.
    Last edited by Libby416; Nov. 4, 2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Adding sentence



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun. 29, 2004
    Posts
    10,401

    Default

    I have only heard rave reviews about Verhan saddles and their customer service. I know Malvern Saddlery used to have them in their catalog but I have never seen any vendors at horse shows, nor are they in any of my local tack shops. They sound awesome.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2005
    Location
    Aiken SC / Fay NC
    Posts
    5,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    they sponsor Stacy Parvey-Larsson, a dressage rider in Ocala fl
    Yep, that is how I found out about Verhans.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan. 8, 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    36

    Default

    I have posted a few times about Verhan before, they are lovely saddles. I have a Verhan Todd Minikus that I ordered about 7 years ago for a very narrow TB. I bought the saddle partly because they can be re-customized down the road if you need to use it on a different horse.

    I had my saddle re-customized to a very round backed, no wither horse. Gigi and Bernardo were great to work with. They were very reasonably priced as well. I felt like I had 2 saddles for the price of 1.

    The leather is all the same color and it came that way. It is still in beautiful shape with lots of riding.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paris35 View Post
    The leather is all the same color and it came that way.
    So would you say such a difference in color is abnormal?



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2009
    Posts
    6,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolpho614 View Post

    The same seller has another with a 16" seat that doesn't have the weird coloring... maybe its because the other saddles leather is smooth and not buffalo?

    Both saddles are listed as "buffalo" - it's likely the 16in saddle will be 2 toned when it's oiled etc.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Both saddles are listed as "buffalo" - it's likely the 16in saddle will be 2 toned when it's oiled etc.
    Ok thanks for the info. I talked to the girl at the barn about hers, which is a futurity with buffalo leather too, and she said the same thing. I'm making a trip to go to their shop in Citra to check everything out



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec. 20, 2006
    Posts
    80

    Default

    We have two Verhan's, both customized. I didn't like the deep seat of the Todd Minikus for the hunter rings, but both my daughter and I are long from hip to knee, so had the flap of the Futurity made a bit further forward. I also had the rear blocks removed from my saddle. Both were buffalo leather. I've had almost every saddle imaginable over the years, everything from cheaper models as saddles to break babies, to Bates (with adjustable plates), to Tad Coffin, to custom Devoucoux. EVERY saddle made at least one horse's back sore (and the Tad Coffin did it to three different horses). We've used my daughter's Verhan on three different ponies (did have to have the flocking customized for the last one, as her shoulder is different on one side, even after multiple chiro/accupuncture...just how she is!), all have went very well, including a large pony that we were told would NOT do changes one way (he was very sore in his back when we got him). My saddle has been adjusted to fit a KWPN mare with enormous shoulders (wider than the tree was for our little Welsh pony) and now to fit a 1/2 TB mare. $450 for a tree adjustment like this is FAR more preferable than buying a new saddle! I plan on getting another one this year, and will be selling my daughter's 16" to get her a 16 1/2" with bigger flaps (her legs are outgrowing the flaps already). Best saddles I've ever had.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Oh Im excited now! The girl at my barn is allowing me to try her saddle tomorrow! So if I like it, I'm definitely making the trip to Citra to his store. Do any of you know if the address on the Verhan website is the address to the store?



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    14,996

    Default

    I want one-- one with that straight-looking flap. The balance looks awesome for a shortie like me.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



Similar Threads

  1. Tell Me About Verhan Saddles
    By hequestrian in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jun. 7, 2012, 02:16 PM
  2. Verhan Saddle on Ebay?
    By ChrisS in forum Dressage
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Jun. 4, 2012, 08:59 AM
  3. Restuffing a Verhan in Alberta ...?
    By WhatzUp in forum Off Course
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Aug. 7, 2010, 10:10 AM
  4. Verhan
    By eks in forum Dressage
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Nov. 15, 2009, 06:42 PM
  5. Verhan saddles - drool - serial numbers?
    By slc2 in forum Dressage
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: Sep. 18, 2009, 04:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness