The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle Consignment Recommendations?

Who would you recommend sending a saddle to for a consignment sale?

I have two for sale and I've tried ebay and eventing nation. I got a few watches on ebay, but no bids and I have had decent email traffic off eventing nation, but no takers but now I'm considering if I should hand the sales over to professionals.

Any recommendations for who to contact? Anything I should consider before looking into doing a commission sale?

Try these guys-they have always been SUPER helpful when I've been looking for a second-hand saddle, maybe they're great for a seller as well?

http://www.trumbullmtn.com/
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I have consigned successfully with Middleburg Tack. My saddle did not sell at Pelham. I have also sold saddles through the COTH forum classifieds.

Depending on the brand, you might try www.highendusedsaddles.com
    Click here before you buy.

I have sold 3 saddles and bought 1 through Rick's Heritage Saddlery. It's in the heart of Chester County PA horse country and has a reputation for being a good place for used saddles. They made things really easy, too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

I don't know what kind of saddles you have, but if your brands are accepted with Fine Used Saddles, I've been really impressed with how professional Patricia is and how much traffic they get, I would highly recommend Fine Used Saddles.

Exclamation www.tacktrader.com

I have bought and sold many saddles on this site. It gets a lot of traffic and has a great search engine. I have sold saddles from cheap western to high dollar passiers and county saddles. english and western. I have the buyer pay with paypal. the fee paypal charges is much less than what most tack stores charge for consignment. I never have let a saddle go out on trial, and it is always a final sale and still have no problem turning over a saddle. Great site!!

I also had good luck with Tack Trader, just the free ad, said to email for photos. I was shocked that it sold so quickly (of course I had bumped the price down a few hundred after several unsuccessful cycles on eBay).

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    I also had good luck with Tack Trader, just the free ad, said to email for photos. I was shocked that it sold so quickly (of course I had bumped the price down a few hundred after several unsuccessful cycles on eBay).
    The advice I got from the Middleburgh tack exchange on one saddle was: Sure, we can sell it for you, but really, just drop the price a couple of hundred $.

That did the trick for that particular saddle. It sold right after that.

Seriously, if you sell it yourself, drop the price since you are not paying a commission.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Thanks very much for the advice everyone!

I'm going to take a combined approach - I've relisted on ebay and on tack trader at lower prices, essentially what I would get if I sold them on commission.

I called the sellers you guys recommended and have chosen one to work with if the saddles don't sell soon at the lower prices.

Margaret, since you have an Antares, Cori McGraw of highendusedsaddles will sell it for you QUICK. I've listed several saddles with her and they've all sold within a week of the listing. She does sell them for a little less than Patricia at fine-used-saddles.com, but she seems to sell them faster. I sold my Amerigo monoflap through patricia and though I got a good price for it, it took about 2 months to sell. My Devoucoux I sold through Cori and it was sold in three days.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."