The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Out of curiosity does my mares coloring mean anything?

Just for pure curiosity I am wondering if my mares coloring could mean anything in terms of roaning, and possibly passing more roaning to her off spring. I just bought her from Europe she a branded ZDPF but is actually holsteiner with a lot of baden-wuttemburg, oldenburg and hanoverian lines, and is by Comics (Contender) and out of Legionaerin (Legionaer). She is actually a spitting image of her father, no idea what her mother looks like though. Tara is 8 years old and I thought she was as plain a bay as I could get other than a star, but I noticed her "unique" (maybe?) coloring when I looked at her closer. She has a silver leg as I call it, pink lips, and is getting white hairs a lot around her butt, and little flecks on her coat. the silver leg is just a lot of white hair mixed in with the black so it looks silver, and her lips have little black spots around them.

I am just curious to know if this means anything. It probably doesn't but I thought I would ask.

I have no actual intentions of breeding her now but if I have the chance I have picked out 2 stallions I really like.

her lips
    a bad photo of her silver leg (front right)

And I don't have any of the other flecks she is getting.

Thanks!

That leg is common of a Sabino-wanna-be marking Does she have TB blood? It seems to be pretty common with those guys.

Her other flecking is also very likely Sabino

It means nothing, really, other than she does carry some white genetics (probably Sabino) but also likely carries quite a bit of suppression genetics as well. It's unlikely she would contribute much, if anything, to white on a foal, and could even likely be a white-killer even with a stallion well-known for producing a lot of white.

That leg is common of a Sabino-wanna-be marking Does she have TB blood? It seems to be pretty common with those guys.

Her other flecking is also very likely Sabino

It means nothing, really, other than she does carry some white genetics (probably Sabino) but also likely carries quite a bit of suppression genetics as well. It's unlikely she would contribute much, if anything, to white on a foal, and could even likely be a white-killer even with a stallion well-known for producing a lot of white.

I second the sabino markings. One of the hallmarks of the gene expression is white somewhere on the lower lip, whether or not they have white anywhere else on their heads. Both my TB mares have a big white face and white on their lower lip, and they're from a family that is known for passing on white and most likely carriers of the sabino gene, even though I've never had them tested. The oldest mare also has the silver roaning you're talking about, but only on the backs of her pasterns on both hind legs.

Here's a link to a pic of her. You can just see the silver on the back of her left pastern. The photo is from early this past spring and she's a 22 yr old broodmare, so please excuse her lack of muscling...
    http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...Masquerade.jpg
    Last edited by Real Rush; Nov. 3, 2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added link

Hi sansibar!

Just thought I'd mention, my horse's sire is a bay and he has some silver in his legs as well, it's the strangest thing! He is not roaning though.

Conner (who is chestnut as you probably know by now) has white hairs all through his coat, not sure if it has to do with the same gene, but he is also not roaning.

Sometimes you notice the white hairs more as the winter coats come in, so that may be why you're noticing it more now.

Thanks everyone! I am not too concerned about color if I was to breed her (confo and temperments are #1) I was just wondering if I did breed her if I was going to end up with some crazy colored horse, because I like my plain bays :P.
    She is basically a German Mutt (her sire is pure holsteiner, while the dam has wuttemburg, hanoverian and oldenburg), which is why I think they branded her German Riding horse? I have yet to find out what any horse on her dams side actually looks like. Since you guys here are so helpful maybe I'll scan her pedigree and post it here for you guys to help me with that some day!

Thanks!!