The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Why does dog eat its own poop?

this says it all? My 8 month old chihuahua x pup eats poop! His own, the JR's, the cats's from the litter box.

I find it such a yucky habit I can't stand it. Its like he poops in the house, eats it and I find it by the smell.

why???

he is getting Natural Balance Lamb kibble for meals. He JUST ate!!!!

thanks!

Not digesting it and it tastes just as good the second time. They make things you can sprinkle on the food to make it yukky for dogs.

well, dogs will eat cat poop- just accept it and put the litter box somewhere the dog can't get at it.
    Puppies often outgrow eating poop. The easiest thing is to just not let them have access to it- pick it up right after they go, keep them on leash away from it, teach a "leave it" for walks. An 8-month old pup shouldn't be pooping in the house?

some dogs just enjoy eating poop. i have had 2 of 6 dogs that would eat poop. With both dogs tried everything the vet recommended and things i could find online. neither dog ever stopped.

This is my personal theory - unresearched & uncorroborated & unsupported & even maybe unfounded, but I think it's related to why foals eat their dam's poop - nature's way of introducing the "good" probiotic bacteria into the gut. My new then 8mo old dog came with this habit (eating the other dog's, the horses', the cats') along with a good case of loose, soft stool. (I'm the one who started the "white boxer" thread.)

Anyway, along with changing food that he came with, I also added pre/probiotics & enzymes to his food - not only does he have normal poop now, he has stopped raiding the cat box...

It's a nasty habit - literally. There are commercial OTC supplements to try to deter them, but they didn't work great for my dog. He's either outgrown it or at the very least learned not to do it in front of me. I occasionally catch a whiff of poop breath and wonder. Yuck.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Well at least he is cleaning up his messes?!! I have had dogs eat out of the litter box and eat horse, chicken and cow poop and although gross, not unexpected. I have never seen a dog eat it's own though.........

wendy - its not that I allow him to poop in the house, its that he is not house broken no matter what I do!

the only sure fire way to keep him from pooping in the house is to crate him 24/7.

for example last night: I took him out, he peed & pooped. then 15 min later, in the house, he pooped. How am I to guess that this will happen. it is a new trend for him. it s***&ks.

I take him out after he eats and everytime he comes out of the crate. It is any ones guess what he will do.

but let me tell you - I am sick of it.

Does he inhale his food?

Does he poop right in front of you or go to another room? Most dogs wander off and do the dirty deed. You need to restrict his freedom in the house until he is trustworthy.

Use a leash to tether him to a piece of furniture, you can also tie him to a dumbbell if you have one, or use a puppy play pen.

If he starts to show signs that he needs to poop, you're right there and you can take him back outside to finish up, get praised and learn what is expected of him.

I have a great house training packet that we give our clients, I'd be happy to email it to you if you PM me your email address.

Can't help you w/ the poop eating, that's just a thing that some dogs do. Most folks never get their dogs to stop doing it.
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

Pcostx - PM'd you! thanks!!!!