The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fruitbats a'flying! Grain ONLY after competitions/clinic days????

I am so floored right now.

My SO and I often have minor preference-only disagreements regarding horse stuff. But sometimes it's over something that blows me away. Good example, he is very very very good at what he does, but he has ONLY done ranch/stock/rodeo horse stuff, so we had a huge fight when he said anything that didn't move like a stock horse was "gaited" to him and he basically didn't care what I said otherwise, after he commented that the Andalusian scene in Lord of the Rings used gaited horses.

Today we were discussing feed, because I said I was going to go to the feed store and get a ration balancer and see if I couldn't convince Mr Doesn't Eat Grain to eat it by bribing him with cookies. SO started talking about wanting to put his mare on a supplement as well, couldn't remember what it was called but it came in a bucket. I said, basically, hey your air fern fatty could just also get the ration balancer when she comes home (they are currently both in Cali), since she obviously doesn't need grain. He agreed with me and then stated "I'll just give her grain this summer after rodeos and when she's worked real hard to replace calories."

So, the fight ended with me saying that he is to never, ever, just randomly grain one of MY horses. But he's going to do what he wants with HIS horse.

This is really just a vent, I know he'll either change his mind on his own by polling the crowd and/or Internet research (ie check and see if I'm by chance wrong...), or just not change his mind, which is also fine. The mare hasn't died yet, and he's had her for years.

And to head anyone off, our relationship is fine....this is normal for us (ranch cowboy v show barn/multi-discipline me), just the most extreme example so far of random wtf-ery that sometimes comes out of my dear man.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Lots of ways to do things right . . . and wrong. I wouldn't sweat it. I used to give Gwen a big old feed of oats only on days when we'd done hard intervals, so although it's not precisely the same thing, I like to think it was not completely irrational, and it worked fine for her..
    Click here before you buy.

Same theory as a big ol' bucket of bran mash after a day's hunting?

I wouldn't freak out about it. I wouldn't necessarily do it, but I can see where he's coming from, I know I feed my horse slightly differently after an exhausting show than every day.

I'd say there are many more fruitbattingly strange things horse people do...

Yep, but research has shown that bran mashes are more upsetting to a horse's digestive system than believed, and is basically the same as a sudden change in their feed. .
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Which is why I wouldn't do it.

My little flower with the delicate digestive system has the vapors if I make much more than the most minor changes to his feed, ever.... The others are equine trash cans, will eat just about anything at any time and thrive on it.

But, as you say, the horse has survived pretty well thus far.