The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Joint Suppliment

..for an older dog. Have an aging Corgi that is just stiff and well, not as young as he used to be, especially in the morning. Hey - sounds like me..:0)..

Anyway - is there a good OTC joint suppliment I could give him. Don't want to put him on any of the prescripts yet that are damaging to the kidneys or liver.

Smartpak has a canine joint supplement that works for our old guy.

There's also a chewable canine version of Cosequin. And I believe you can get Adequan for dogs as well.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I have had good luck with rejuvenate. it's prescription though. It's all natural, and isn't damaging on their liver like a real med, as it is a supplement.

http://schuylerproducts.com/hannah_rejuvenate.html

my vet had my dog on an anti inflammatory as well for about 4 weeks and weened her off of it to get the inflammation down. Maybe its something you could consider too, if nothing else works.
    You only have to let the soft animal of your body / love what it loves
    "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver

I've had a lot of luck with Arthrimaxx. You can buy it at Amazon. It has done wonders for my older dog - it's very easy to see the difference in her since she's been on it. She's been on it for about a year.

HylaSport Canine is made by HorseTech. My dogs eat it with no problem and it's very cost effective. It really helped my 2 senior pups a lot.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Smartcanine senior has nice ingredients, as does Hylasport Canine. I've used both. Some dogs have impressive results from Cetyl-M (smartpak sells a dog-chewable form).

Another vote for HylaSport!

Have had absolutely FABULOUS results using the liquid "Syn-flex" for Pets" (with my vet's blessing). It's a beef-flavored Glucosamine supplement that both my severely arthritic cat & just-starting-arthritis dog readily consume in canned food. Have been using it for 2 years now & can't believe the results. My cat went from looking like she'd been hit by a car, to romping around like a kitten. I'll never switch to anything else. Here's a link to the site that I buy it from. Reasonably priced compared to other sites, & shipping is free:

http://www.positive-works.com/synflex/index.cfm

Years ago we gave my parents old lab mix horse Adequan. If I remember correctly we used 1.5cc for a 70 pound dog. My equine vet recommended it--same stuff but much cheaper than Adequan Canine!

We use fluid action horse sup . It is labelled for dogs as well. Very affordable and has helped our last two. Took the picky eater a little bit to get past the apple flavor. The lab mix never seemed to even notice it.

Does anyone use Re-Vitalize supplements by Response Products?

Green lipped mussel powder or anything high in omega 3 efa's.

I use the horse version of Cosequin for my dog. I calculated the dose by weight. My 60-lb dog gets an eighth of a teaspoon. Just sprinkle it on her wet food (used to wet her dry food when that's all she got). I get the big container and it lasts more than a year, so it's economical.

Dog had 2 knee surgeries when she was 5 and 7 yo. She's now 14 yo and can still go for 3-mile walks. I credit the Cosequin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Have had absolutely FABULOUS results using the liquid "Syn-flex" for Pets" (with my vet's blessing). It's a beef-flavored Glucosamine supplement that both my severely arthritic cat & just-starting-arthritis dog readily consume in canned food. Have been using it for 2 years now & can't believe the results. My cat went from looking like she'd been hit by a car, to romping around like a kitten. I'll never switch to anything else. Here's a link to the site that I buy it from. Reasonably priced compared to other sites, & shipping is free:

http://www.positive-works.com/synflex/index.cfm
    I just ordered some of this thanks to this thread.

My collie x rottie mix is only 6 ish but she gets stiff after lying down for too long. She's been on the Cosequin tablets for over a year, and they help but not enough to make me happy. Hopefully this Synflex will work!

I had enormous success with Dasuquin. I did have to buy it from my vet, but it is not a prescription/drug based product and it wasn't super expensive. My dog ate it like a treat, so it was easy to administer. It was by far the most effective arthritis/joint supplement and I had tried many different ones.